Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN So how do you really feel about Neverwinter Nights 1?

Which NWN campaigns did you like?

• Neverwinter Nights

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Shadows of Undrentide

Votes: 47 52.2%
  • Hordes of the Underdark

Votes: 65 72.2%
  • Kingmaker (and/or other premium modules)

Votes: 26 28.9%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It was LONG AS FUCK

That put it ahead of any other RPG of the time for me (and since).

The time travel area and the creepy forest still remain in my 640k memory, so all you edgelords that claim it was banalshitboring lolomg generic story can fuck right off.
Yup the game is pretty memorable. I still remember most of it,like the bounty quest,the white dragon world or The mage tower in Luskan.

d1nolore

Savant
My favourite and most used companion of the OC.

latest

Good ole farm boy Pavel.

Not sure if you're saying you went henchless for the OC after the tutorial prologue, or if you never finished anything other than the prologue, or what.

All the companions in the OC were fairly fucking boring characters, with the possible exception of Tomi who had the only backstory that was capable of sparking even the most cursory interest in me. Thankfully, the OC is perfectly doable henchless and the special henchman items you get are fairly forgettable amidst the shower of loot that can be effortlessly obtained throughout the OC.

I generally went without a henchman. Though I would likely have used Tomi the most for his lockpicking.

It's not hard to solo once you pass level 5. Just a few unlucky crits early can catch you.

PorkBarrellGuy

I generally went without a henchman. Though I would likely have used Tomi the most for his lockpicking.

It's not hard to solo once you pass level 5. Just a few unlucky crits early can catch you.

Biggest problems I had in early levels revolved around spellcasters. The imprisoned sorcerer in the Peninsula district wouldn't be a pain to deal with if he didn't have half a dozen meatshields to keep you from rushing him before he drops Magic Missiles and Melf's Acid Arrows on your head.

d1nolore

Savant

Biggest problems I had in early levels revolved around spellcasters. The imprisoned sorcerer in the Peninsula district wouldn't be a pain to deal with if he didn't have half a dozen meatshields to keep you from rushing him before he drops Magic Missiles and Melf's Acid Arrows on your head.

Its all in the tactics. The melee classes paladin/fighter/barbarian have enough AC and HP to rush the sorcerer, there are 4 doors so you should be able to get at him. Rogue would have to use tricks, traps. Spell casters can use summons to handle the minions while you go for the sorcerer.

Have healing supplies, healing kits are your friend, they are overpowered. With the heal skill you heal a lot and there is not attack of opportunity like potions. You have the stone of recall if you need it, so do your damage and get out if you need to, come back rested and ready. It all depends on your class.

But I find fun in the challenge, I'll get bored and quit a game if there's no challenge. I played through chapter 1 of NWN with a 6 con elf wizard once. That's 1-2 HP per level :D

The NWN OC isn't that bad really, if you haven't played it before. But I can't stomach it anymore due to playing of PW with much improved systems; summoning systems which are balanced, animate dead systems, changed healing kits, etc. I thought about doing a NWN OC 'remastered' mod once adding in these systems, cut scenes, better loot items, etc But ultimately decided way too much work for little payoff.

Cael

Arcane
Its all in the tactics. The melee classes paladin/fighter/barbarian have enough AC and HP to rush the sorcerer, there are 4 doors so you should be able to get at him. Rogue would have to use tricks, traps. Spell casters can use summons to handle the minions while you go for the sorcerer.
Or run around the corner so that you can deal with his meatshields first while he waits in line for his beating.

laclongquan

Arcane
I installed NWN1 with all the fixings.

Then it just sit there and I look at it. I replayed old games. I read books. I just dont play it.

Then I really grit my teeth and said once more unto the breach, old friend. and started to play it.
Then i dropped the fuck out of it. Original campaign. horde of underdark. Undertide. Tried all three and dropped out of each after half an hour into the game.

There is serious underlying problems with NWN1 and it's not just the blocky graphic. Possibly the camera angle set at weird position, or writings, or etc... I just really dont feel like playing it.

If there's an import of NWN1 content into NWN2 I might have tried it again. We shall see (if ever).

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
laclongquan What happened to you? You were a much better poster on GameFAQs and the Bay. Lay off the weed.

laclongquan

Arcane
Iam always like that. I dont badmouth NWN1 because I dont even play long enough to have a legitimate opinion of anything. NWN1 make me... uninterested.

This is by no way a badmouth of NWN1. I have an uninterested attitude to a lot of games Codexers worship. But when you get in the game and just drop it half an hour later whatcanyoudo?

To be fair, I do try to make NWN1 in a lot of camera modes, just to see if it change... hmmmm nope~ Like I said, blocky graphic is just one factor, not all.

There's something smell in the system of 1.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
I discovered NWN when I was already old and dissilusioned with the world and in time when everything sucks, so it didn't have big impact on me as BG1 and BG2 which i discovered when I was still young and naive.

Shitty, ugly game with no meaningfull companions and lack of full party control. Only good thing about it is third edition rules and prestige classes.

abradley4

Barely Literate
Am a NWN fan
One of my favorite builds is by grizzled_dwarflo:

Zhentarim Field Agent
Playable from Ground to 40, PvM (with particular emphasis 1-28)
Rogue25
Shadowdancer1
Fighter14
Race: Halfling (works well with Human, too)
"In the cold grey light of dawn, he stood still as stone, alone in the ghostly mist. And
we knew then, that if we could see him, it was already too late."
--- Maxwell Crowlin, Master Harper

A search will find it at Maddogs

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
NWN 1 for me will always be the perfect game for multi tasking. I remember playing it for the first time maybe a fairly close to it's release. I was expecting something close to the BG's, and well we all know what it was in the end haha.

Point is the combat in NWN 1 was so uninvolved and terrible I used to literally do household chores during it. Folding clothes, cleaning my room, making lunch. There was even a point where I moved my super nintendo in my room so I could play snes during NWN 1 fights. The only game I can think of with such terrible uninvolved boring combat was Dungeon Siege.

Very sadly I actually remember finishing the OC and SOU. I remember getting burned out on HOTU and never playing it again. For me it's a similar story with MOTB, the engine both the interface, combat, graphics, ect just prevents me from enjoying the game so I never looked for custom modules.

I'm sort of surprised there's an NWN 1 following here now, years ago it was only volourn who defended NWN 1 and he barely spoke english so only idiots took him seriously. I still prefer NWN 1 to some of the newer shit that's come out like Dragon age or the TES games or whatever. Overall the game is fairly terrible though.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm sort of surprised there's an NWN 1 following here now

In addition to Volourn, a few 'Dexers were into NWN before my blog came along. A few of them are still posting, too. But I would still say the core of the 'Dex will never get into NWN.

And who can blame them? RTwP, lack of FPC and gimped OC, for example.

But Swordflight proved that NWN is worth a whirl.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I'm sort of surprised there's an NWN 1 following here now

In addition to Volourn, a few 'Dexers were into NWN before my blog came along. A few of them are still posting, too. But I would still say the core of the 'Dex will never get into NWN.

And who can blame them? RTwP, lack of FPC and gimped OC, for example.

But Swordflight proved that NWN is worth a whirl.

I never played many if any custom modules for NWN, I'm sure I played a few smaller ones to try them out but I don't specifically remember any. For me it's the same issue I had with MOTB, the engine is just so off putting and the combat is so boring I just didn't feel it was worth it to put the time into the game for other positive aspects. RTWP never really bothered me as long as the game was done right although I generally prefer turn based unless it's really shit like POR:ROMD. FPC also isn't something I really care about, if the game gives me the option that's nice but unless they're really annoying I'm usually ok with using the games NPC's.

IDK, the combat in the NWN games(Kotor and dragon age,dungeon siege are others with similar issues IMO) is just so non interactive, it's one thing to watch your guys fight but need to pause and give orders or target different enemies or cast spells/potions/whatever in the BG or IWD games. NWN took it to a whole new level, I remember playing that game as a ranger or fighter class, don't remember which but in 95% of the games fights I literally just stared at the screen waiting for the combat to end.

Frankly the only reason I remember actually finishing the OC and SOU was because in late 2003 I had a bad case of strep throat and was stuck with not much to do and not many games to play at that time.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

I had a lot of fun with the Shadows and Hordes expansion campaigns, and many user-created modules, but, like with most all early-3D games, it is unplayably hideous nowadays.
The OC, however, was one of the most boring and worthless things I've ever wasted my time on, and I never even attempted to replay it after the first playthrough, way back in the year NWN came out. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom