Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Exploration/Adventure games

Discussion in 'Space Games' started by warpig, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    [​IMG]

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Owl Savant Patron

Owl
    Codex USB, 2014
    Space Rogue from 1989 seems to fit the bill. The lead designer/programmer was Paul Neurath.

Note that there's another Space Rogue released recently, I haven't played it, looks like an FTL-esque game with prettier graphics.

^ Top  
  3. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Space Rogue is way shallower and more repetitive than FTL. Not recommended.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Freddie Savant

Freddie
    I played original Space Rogue (C64) back in the day. One of the few games I didn't properly finished because I messed up something with the plot in final stages of game.

It's scope weren't awfully big but still it was way ahead it's time and certainly worth checking out, though some segments, worm hole travel comes to mind (you must pilot your ship manually through entire wormhole) may not feel that rewarding.

I visited GOG page for this other Space Rogue, and I can say for sure it's not a remake of 1989 game, but something else.

^ Top  
  5. ShaggyMoose Learned

ShaggyMoose
    Didn't realise how old this thread was when I opened it. However, its interesting that since the OP in 2013 this genre has exploded on Steam. There are about five games that fit this category on my watchlist right now and more are arriving all the time. Its an awesome time for space exploration games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • +20 Social Credit +20 Social Credit x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    What 5 games?

^ Top  
  7. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    There are a lot more of such games:

Star Traders Frontiers
    Stellar Tactics
    3030 Deathwar
    Empyrion
    No Mans Sky
    Space Haven
    Avorion
    Elite Dangerous
    X4
    Space Bourne
    Between the Stars
    Space Rangers HD (that still counts!)
    Everspace 1 + 2

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    That's a bit of a stretch, most of these don't fill the requirements to qualify.

^ Top  
  9. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    From Threadopener:

The games I listed all fit the criteria.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. warpig Incel Resistance Leader Manlet

warpig
    Some of them don't. It was supposed to be games that are more like Star Control 2 or Starflight not Elite, X series type games (notice not Elite, X, Privateer, Freelancer as examples).

^ Top  
  11. Morpheus Kitami Literate

Morpheus Kitami
    Iron Seed...oh, OP already mentioned it. Well, I'm going to go into its virtues anyway.
    In Iron Seed, you play as a group of rebels against the technocratic government of Mars, Earth being destroyed and its mention is blasphemy. The plan was to destroy Mars computer and then return 500 days later. Only someone made a rounding error, and you're somewhere far from home, with a damaged ship, and an alien vessel slowly getting closer. Oh, and the flesh that once constituted your form was used as materials by the ship, you and the crew only exist as data. Fortunately there are back-ups...unfortunately, there are only six, and your bridge crew are using them.
    The gameplay of it is both interesting and a little bit tedious. You have the usual spiel, explore planets, meet aliens and kill them. However, in resource gathering planets are only good for one scavenging, what you need to do is mine them. This is accomplished by putting down a mining bot and waiting. You could always fly to and from two different galaxies, but that takes fuel. And you need to get resources, after a while you have the best weaponry, but you'll still need other things, like drugs so your crew members don't go crazy.
    It also has a system for making each planet unique (graphically) and spawning a bunch of generic aliens. Its got some limitations, but its good for 1995.
    The original release is freeware, but recently the dev did a remake of it. From what I can tell via screenshots, the only change seems to be better planetary graphics. Could be more, but I'm not that into the game to spend 15$ to find out.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top