Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is releasing on September 26th

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: 1C Company; Cultic Games; Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones

After the release of its demo on Steam back in January 2018, it seemed like Cultic Games' Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones couldn't be far off. Alas, when dealing with the Mythos such optimism is misplaced. Already delayed from late 2017 to late 2018, the game was postponed again to late 2019 back in December. There were a handful of Kickstarter updates during this time, but little tangible sign of progress. But you know what they say about that which eternal lies. Today Cultic announced that Stygian will finally be out on September 26th. Here's their new trailer and the accompanying press release:

The town of Arkham. Unspeakable horrors from beyond the veil. A... release date on Steam? Open your mind to Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, a cosmic horror CRPG set to wrap its tentacles around PC gamers on September 26, available for $29.99 USD (24.99 EUR) on Steam. Drawing directly from the works of H.P. Lovecraft and employing a gorgeously grotesque hand-drawn visual style, Stygian offers a turn-based RPG in a broken and mysterious world.

Step into the 1920s as you create your own character based on one of eight different archetypes pulled from the pages of cosmic horror history - from the academic to the occultist - each with their own unique attributes, skills and belief systems. These belief systems in particular determine how your characters cope with the warped reality of the world around them. This, like the classic CRPG titles that came before it, provides players with an open-ended narrative to unearth as they attempt to find sense in the mysterious otherworldly happenings that have befallen the town of Arkham.

Faithful to its mind-rending subject matter, combat in Stygian is understandably tense. Featuring strategic, turn-based combat from a 2D perspective, players will come face to face with everything from fanatic cultists, to monstrosities that are so horrifying that we’ve been instructed not to describe them for your safety and well-being. Balancing physical combat that’s inconsistent at best against creatures from beyond and powerful eldritch spellcasting that has dire consequences on one’s mind, combat in Stygian deftly matches the cosmic horror experience that surrounds it.

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones arrives on Steam on September 26, following its successful Kickstarter funding. For those attending Gamescom, be sure to stop by 1C’s booth for a chance to get your hands on the game early and experience the terror for yourself! For more information, make sure to Wishlist the game on Steam and follow Cultic Games and 1C Entertainment on Twitter.
    Stygian has long been one of the Codex's most highly anticipated indie titles. If it's as good as it looks, we could be looking at something very special here, and hopefully a GOTY contender.

• Brofist x 10
    • Excited! x 5
    • :M x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. hivemind Scholar Pretty Princess

hivemind
    dude unspeakable horror LMAO

• Funny x 3
    • Participation Award x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Looking forward to possibly breaking my wait-one-year rule for this to support these guys and be near the ground floor.

• Friendly x 4
    • incline x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Sacibengala Scholar

Sacibengala
    Not one more of GOG denied titles, I f* hope!

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Same here.

• incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Gruia Educated

Gruia
    dope and refreshing.

^ Top  
  7. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    holly shit. i thought that this one will never make it

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. RegionalHobo Educated

RegionalHobo
    this trailer has some high quality scenes i wish i did not spoil myself about

^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    How about a review?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    I can make an attempt, sure.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • incline incline x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Sergiu64 Arcane

Sergiu64
    Looks really cool. Looking forward to it.

^ Top  
  12. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    If I had not backed it, I would've wishlisted it.
    Now... where to get that opium in preparation for the game. You know, to get myself in the mood.

^ Top  
  13. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    Hey the furies game is alive???
    How many patches and expansions and shit are planned so I know whether I wait 1 or 2 years before playing?

• what? what? x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Bastion Novice

Bastion
    Are you really into getting patches 48h after Steam? Get yourself a normal launcher, mate.

• retadred x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Sacibengala Scholar

Sacibengala
    I like my RPG's cleaned of steam bullshit.

^ Top  
  16. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Somebody found the opium already.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    This game looks so many different flavors of awesome I don't know where to begin.

If that trailer represents real game play they sold me for certain already. Looks very immersive and Lovecraft theme is a win. Also anything without rendered graphics nowadays is a huge plus. Love that handpainted Charles Addams look.

Will get this as soon as it comes out.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Looks like a great game to play while casuals play Outer Worlds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Cleveland Mark Blakemore Golden Era Games Übermensch Developer

Cleveland Mark Blakemore
    I totally agree. They are hyping the hell out of it and just like Borderlands, it does not grab me in any way. Looks like a game I just would not be interested in. They promote this stuff until they convince people that they have to buy it and once bought they have to enjoy it, even as their inner Grognard deep down tells them the game is total decline and boring.

I reckon this Lovecraft game promotes itself because the meme is appealing and most people can already imagine what the team is striving for. If it's what I think it is I really look forward to it.

^ Top  
  20. Azael Magister

Azael
    Wasteland 2
    This looks p. damn intriguing. Haven't bought a game close to its release in a long time, but I might make an exception for this.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)