Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Greenlit by Steam

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I Prefer To Walk The Sky Way: Refused the option to teleport directly to the next quest location at every possible opportunity.

deuxhero

Arcane
I Don't Know if it Sucks Yet: Complete the game with 3 separate characters

(don't remember what the number was, likely isn't 3)

Bony

Learned
Queued
In before Hyperborea: Played full version of AoD before Grimoire.

Repressed Homosexual
Steam Greenlight really bothers me, a developer shouldn't have to create a convoluted, longwinded marketing campaign and pay money just for the privilege of maybe being sold digitally.

It leaves no chance to small games without big production values, or a pseudo retro hipster art style. Titles like Teudogar and Underworld will never be granted entry. It really bothers me that they are turning it into a popularity contest, ultimately it is a mean to get more control.

Gamersgate allows all small Indies who deliver something playable and functional entry without making small developers jump through hoops like poodles. Steam won't and there's no reason for it, other than gaining control, being nitpicky elitist pricks, and getting in a position to tell everyone what to do. Just give the super small budget games their own section, like MS does on Xbox Live.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A Year And A Half Is Not Enough: Played full version of AoD before Wasteland 2.

Pegultagol

Erudite
And I voted for the game just yesterday, good to know that it might've mattered in the end. Congratulations! And I know one of the achievements should involve Thursday somehow.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Steam Greenlight really bothers me, a developer shouldn't have to create a convoluted, longwinded marketing campaign and pay money just for the privilege of maybe being sold digitally.

It leaves no chance to small games without big production values, or a pseudo retro hipster art style. Titles like Teudogar and Underworld will never be granted entry. It really bothers me that they are turning it into a popularity contest, ultimately it is a mean to get more control.

Gamersgate allows all small Indies who deliver something playable and functional entry without making small developers jump through hoops like poodles. Steam won't and there's no reason for it, other than gaining control and getting in a position to tell everyone what to do. Just give the super small budget games their own section, like MS does on Xbox Live.

Theres also Desura for that. Tbh games like mcpixel and dlc quest are both the type of games you mention and theyve been lit.

Repressed Homosexual
Not really, it is a retro hipster game as far as graphic style is concerned, with meta humor

d267ff5fdf02c9b7011740484f49c605_Photo_02_00_33_31.08.12_960x640.f.png

I don't like that it turns into a nerdier American Idol, or it forces the small players to go for gimmicks to grab attention.

A game that is simply serious, methodical but with crude graphics or complex gameplay mechanics doesn't stand any chance under that system.

107541teudogrs.jpg

This would simply gather virtual dust because it doesn't cater to exciteable kids. There are chances that games that cater to an older male audience, like say wargames, golf simulators or train simulators, would never generate the appropriate buzz simply because the audience doesn't go for that and doesn't follow the game industry. It doesn't mean that there isn't a niche to exploit, after all wargames, complex flight simulators, and train simulators all have successful niches on other sites.

Steam is like 85% of all the market for all digital PC games sales, and Valve decides to deny the small indies who cater to niches just because they are control-hungry pricks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Humanity has risen!
How the fuck have they gotten MORE CONTROL by handing off the job of selecting which games to put on their service to the crowd? Do you honestly think they had less control before Greenlight?

If you don't like Steam then that's okay, but there's nothing sinister about Greenlight specifically.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DAY ONE PURCHASE!: Morgoth would be proud.

Steam is like 85% of all the market for all digital PC games sales, and Valve decides to deny the small indies who cater to niches just because they are control-hungry pricks.

Yes, this makes perfect sense to say on the day that both Eador and AoD get Greenlit.

Saduj

Arcane
Congrats Iron Tower :dance:

Hopefully Underrail and Expeditons Conquistador make it too. Although I have no intention of buying any of them through Steam....

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Jokes apart, VD should really add tons of achievments, they are a great research tool to see how people are playing your game.

Do stuff like "played with all classes", "beated the game once", "beated the game with all classes", "died once with all classes", and some for hard quest solutions, like that chest on the palace, and you'll have a very clear ideia of how people are playing, what worked and what didn't, who's your audience and all that.

kazgar

Arcane
Jokes apart, VD should really add tons of achievments, they are a great research tool to see how people are playing your game.

Do stuff like "played with all classes", "beated the game once", "beated the game with all classes", "died once with all classes", and some for hard quest solutions, like that chest on the palace, and you'll have a very clear ideia of how people are playing, what worked and what didn't, who's your audience and all that.

Also, setting up achievements intelligently could help show the depth and breadth of the game, if there was some based on getting through the game with multiple classes, it would show more people the difference in the routes available, as they realise the solutions/methods used in the first playthrough may not be there in the second.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gratz to VD and team.

Question: for poeple who have already preordered will there be a possibility to acquire steam keys?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
For people who have preordered -- keep your DRM free copy and sell me your Steam key for $5. :smug:

hiver

Congratulations. It came sooner than i thought it will.
Surely a significant morale boost to everyone included and path to much green in the future.

Hopefully this will force them to finally show where the player is on the local map - and flesh some more life into various characters who seem only able to speak a few lines - only when its a part of a quest and they are required at that particular stage of it.
Time permitting, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom