Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Murder Mystery Machine

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Zombra, Nov 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/930280/The_Murder_Mystery_Machine/

This looks like a cool idea. Procedural crimes, "thought cabinet" deduction board, you solve 'em. My interest was particularly piqued when I saw that the developer is Blazing Griffin, who originally published The Ship, a cool murder mystery type game that ultimately fell short for me due to its reliance on multiplayer. Then they became proper developers, remastered The Ship, and additionally developed a spiritual sequel, Murderous Pursuits, which (judging from reviews) improved the formula in some ways and declined in others. Intriguing as another "find your target, anticipate your hunter" type of thing, but again the multiplayer focus makes me less interested. But I find this whole type of game, where several possibilities exist and you must be perceptive and thoughtful to prevail, very stimulating.

This time around it's about single-player investigation and deduction. Hopefully without the millstone of multiplayer around their neck they can make a good detective game. I'd like to see what they've learned about what makes information gathering and deduction fun. Will be keeping an eye on this.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I always have wondered if procedural detective cases can be done. But then it has been done before twice, apparently.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I loved the idea of Murder on the Zinderneuf as a kid ... even by 1983 standards though the interface was awful and trying to play it was a chore. (It's also possible that I was too young and stupid to appreciate it, but anyway that's how I remember it.) Making this idea actually playable is an exciting prospect for me.

^ Top  
  4. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I finished Murder on the Zinderneuf atleast dozen times and, for me as a kid in general, there was no such thing as a bad interface, only a interface you need a bit more time to get used to.

In Zinderneuf randomness was the biggest plus but also the biggest flaw of that game since scenarios could go all over the place.

Like this one time a victim was murdered with a army knife and there is only one soldier among the crew (I think his name was Jack London) so you solve the crime in 5 seconds or in another game get a single vague clue that doesnt help you one bit.

Still I had so much fun playing that game, picking between multiple detectives and trying different approaches in solving the mysteries.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)