Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New World Concept Trailer and Steam Page

Searchable name is a thing of the past. Mainstream gaming media matters a lot less than it's used to (like 90% less0. Two things matter today:

- are people talking about it, sharing impressions, recommending, mentioning, etc
- visibility on Steam and GOG

How you are going to make the game visible on steam and gog?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Visibility is tied to performance (sales). Stronger sales increase visibility, which is how any store works. Items that sell better get better shelf space and stay there longer. So if we manage to get a (relatively) strong start, we'll get (relatively) more visibility. Not the kind of visibility top sellers get, of course, but enough to make a difference. How to get that strong start? By promoting the game ourselves and generating interest.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Visibility is tied to performance (sales). Stronger sales increase visibility, which is how any store works. Items that sell better get better shelf space and stay there longer. So if we manage to get a (relatively) strong start, we'll get (relatively) more visibility. Not the kind of visibility top sellers get, of course, but enough to make a difference. How to get that strong start? By promoting the game ourselves and generating interest.

get influencers to play it on their streams. and do it yourselves as well

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Looks like new screenshot appeared:

3RInwMu.png

Most of these screenshots look too similar to each other IMO, some more variety would be appreciated.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I think it’s the lighting. There’s something to be said for aesthetic consistency for a given area. Punctuating that with a bit of visual contrast would make the shots look less same-y. We see a lot of dark with narrow, warm lights and dim neon. A work zone with bright white work lights, a drone with a sweeping flood, something that contrasts would go a long way imo.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Most of these screenshots look too similar to each other IMO, some more variety would be appreciated.
We see a lot of dark with narrow, warm lights and dim neon. A work zone with bright white work lights, a drone with a sweeping flood, something that contrasts would go a long way imo.
It's the same location (the container town sitting in one of the cargo holds). The work zone (the Factory) will look very different. Each location will have a distinctive look, design, and aesthetics.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you have some time, could you give a few hints for your promotion methods? Like, I know you talk about your game here, but do you go to other forums as well and talk about it there, promote it through twitter and social media? Do you buy ads on facebook etc?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Vault Dweller
The problem with "The New World" is that the name is too generic, to indistinct and it will automatically push the game back to some n-th page on Duck Duck Go or other search engine even after it would be mentioned in mainstream media (which might not happen). It might have been better to go with less appropriate name but more distinct one (like "No Truce with the Furies").

On a side note, can you tell us how many accounts have TNW on Steam wishlist so far?

My two cents (like it matters at this point) is when I heard the title of the game, I immediately thought of earlier when I talked to someone about Britain colonizing The New World.

Then I remembered the MMO New World based on something like that.

https://www.mmorpg.com/new-world

Thankfully you added "THE" to the title I suppose. You are the game designer VD, so I am sure you are tracking search results and the like, so I won't presume to lecture you. I look forward to playing this.

In my excitement I see you addressed all of that. Not sure I agree but fuck I am the 10% that actually uses a search engine, doesn't talk to anyone on social media about games, hates youtubers, doesn't trust the media, dislikes the Steam Store, etc....

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Developer
If you have some time, could you give a few hints for your promotion methods? Like, I know you talk about your game here, but do you go to other forums as well and talk about it there, promote it through twitter and social media? Do you buy ads on facebook etc?
I really don't see how posting about your game on twitter can be helpful. Same goes for facebook and other social media cancer. We do have a twitter account (some guy offered to run it as a way to support us, I said sure and that was the extent of my involvement).

My promotional 'method' is very simple. I talk about the game (updates and occasional interviews), then I talk to people who have questions and suggestions. After we released the AoD demo I posted on our forums, Steam forums, the Codex, Watch, NMA Fallout, as well as German, French, Italian, Russian, and Turkish forums. I didn't spam forums with 'let me tell you about this game I'm making!" as such threads are rarely well received but followed the site traffic instead. If people are discussing our games, they link to the main site or the Steam store page and if the thread generates enough interest (i.e. more than a couple of replies) you'll get a few hundred visits.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I really don't see how posting about your game on twitter can be helpful. Same goes for facebook and other social media cancer. We do have a twitter account (some guy offered to run it as a way to support us, I said sure and that was the extent of my involvement).

My promotional 'method' is very simple. I talk about the game (updates and occasional interviews), then I talk to people who have questions and suggestions. After we released the AoD demo I posted on our forums, Steam forums, the Codex, Watch, NMA Fallout, as well as German, French, Italian, Russian, and Turkish forums. I didn't spam forums with 'let me tell you about this game I'm making!" as such threads are rarely well received but followed the site traffic instead. If people are discussing our games, they link to the main site or the Steam store page and if the thread generates enough interest (i.e. more than a couple of replies) you'll get a few hundred visits.

Plus you have all of this fucking free publicity right here amirite?

;)

Wink added so you know that is meant as a positive.

Vault Dweller

Developer
My two cents (like it matters at this point) is when I heard the title of the game, I immediately thought of earlier when I talked to someone about Britain colonizing The New World.

Then I remembered the MMO New World based on something like that.
Yeah, we're changing the name. Writing an update as we speak.

In my excitement I see you addressed all of that. Not sure I agree but fuck I am the 10% that actually uses a search engine, doesn't talk to anyone on social media about games, hates youtubers, doesn't trust the media, dislikes the Steam Store, etc....
You sound like a fine young man.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

We see a lot of dark with narrow, warm lights and dim neon. A work zone with bright white work lights, a drone with a sweeping flood, something that contrasts would go a long way imo.
It's the same location (the container town sitting in one of the cargo holds). The work zone (the Factory) will look very different. Each location will have a distinctive look, design, and aesthetics.
Yeah, I'd expect less run down areas of the ship to look more futuristic and clean.

Will there be an artificial greenhouse type environment with grass, plants, agriculture etc?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yeah, I'd expect less run down areas of the ship to look more futuristic and clean.
They will. The goal is to make each area look very distinctive and different from what you've seen before.

Will there be an artificial greenhouse type environment with grass, plants, agriculture etc?
Yes, of course.

You sound like a fine young man.
He's actually old. Like, really ancient.
Fine old man then?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Thank you for the insight. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom