Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The state of video games

Name

Cipher
I am observing an alarming trend of the video games markets:
They used to sell complete and nearly bug-free product.
Then they sold a complete product, and patched it several times to make it perfect. (Gold)
Now major studios knowingly sell a bugged product, and promise to patch them after release. (Release Candidate)
Under the influence of MMO, asking paying customers to beta test product has become popular. (Beta)
Now with the Steam Greenlight, I see alpha state games getting released everyday. (Alpha)
In before they begin to release pre-alpha games for enthusiastic gamers for nominal fee.
What's next? Selling concepts and design documents?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Eventually there will be enough code, art, and music assets accumulated that customers will be required overjoyed to make their own :popamole:.

Name

Cipher
They were like, around and after 2000AD.
I was talking about earlier.
(Now don't tell me about bugs in Ultima II or someting. I was talking about general cases.)

Dr Tomo

Learned
I am observing an alarming trend of the video games markets:
They used to sell complete and nearly bug-free product.
Then they sold a complete product, and patched it several times to make it perfect. (Gold)
Now major studios knowingly sell a bugged product, and promise to patch them after release. (Release Candidate)
Under the influence of MMO, asking paying customers to beta test product has become popular. (Beta)
Now with the Steam Greenlight, I see alpha state games getting released everyday. (Alpha)
In before they begin to release pre-alpha games for enthusiastic gamers for nominal fee.
What's next? Selling concepts and design documents?

I thought the alarming trend was studios/publisher's no longer satisfied with the amount of Jew gold they get from the customers so they throw resources into in casualizing the game to broaden the audience and rush the product out when they run out of $$$ because of their 60 million $ budgets which they spent on gfx and marketing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom