Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
It's like Might and Magic X, which looks pretty bad and runs utterly atrociously even on my 3770K with a Radeon 7970. Unity optimization is absolutely terrible. Not sure there's much inXile can do. Anyway I haven't pledged enough for beta access, but I prefer not to play incomplete software.

We'll definitely be doing significant optimizations once we gather data and feedback from the early beta.

:lol: Should've known...Game is too advance for my shit 'work' laptop. Guess I'll have to wait a week first.

The game absolutely will run on hardware substantially lower than those recommended specs. We're just waiting to announce min specs.

For example, 512MB VRAM is definitely sufficient on the majority of quality settings (probably all of them except for fantastic).

That's gonna go down a lot for the final release, right?

right?

Those are recommended specs rather than min specs. We'll determine min specs in part based on the results of the early beta, our own internal testing, Deep Silver platform testing, performance testing being done by a third party we are contracting as well as our general optimization pass. We've got a good idea about what these will be already, but we want to be conservative here at first and wait to announce these min specs. We'll also announce recommended resolution and graphics settings along with the min specs.

Generally:
- Hard drive space requirement will not change much. This is a large game.
- VRAM min spec will be 512MB on final release (half of what is recommended there).
- RAM / CPU min specs are definitely lower than what is listed as recommended in the reference card.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
My download is jumping up and down between 0kb/s and 10MB/s. ffs gaben what are you doing.

Tigranes

Arcane
Created a party and then saved, will play on later tonight.

(1) The UI sucks across the board. As we knew.
(2) I like the attributes, they make for pretty hard choices at least before you know what is what, and the skills are a decent bunch too.
(3) Interesting how you can create pretty fucked up looking characters.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
hmmm, stream is there, but not working for me.

edit: I think it is just the firewall here at work.

Sup Anthony. You should just turn that off. Not important.

Yo Monteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm just waiting for Darren to go home. ;-)

Perfect.

Nah, I was 'running' it on an i3 laptop with integrated graphics card. :lol: Doubt any amount of work will get it to run properly on that.

Perhaps you should dis-integrate that graphics card...

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
I wish I hadn't pledged through Codex to get the game key. Now I'm tempted to buy the $55 version to get the beta access, but $75 for a digital only game for a piss poor guy like me is a bit too steep. Urgh, must resist. :?

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
AW FUCK! It finishes right before I have to do schoolwork! At least I got to make a character (Pretty nice, though it froze for me with max Graphic settings when I when to appearance.)

Tigranes

Arcane
If you wait a minute or so when you first go to appearance it works again. SOmething to do with loading the 3D assets I assume.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
If you wait a minute or so when you first go to appearance it works again. SOmething to do with loading the 3D assets I assume.

Optimizing asset instantiation is something that's being worked on right now. Load times (and the spawning of the Character Creation appearance screen/assets) will improve.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I wish I hadn't pledged through Codex to get the game key. Now I'm tempted to buy the $55 version to get the beta access, but $75 for a digital only game for a piss poor guy like me is a bit too steep. Urgh, must resist. :?

And while I have beta access, I've chosen to abstain; I'd rather not spoil myself or play an unfinished version.

I'm looking forward to testers' impressions. What I'm most curious about at the moment is whether or not WL2's level design is up to snuff.

5JXQH.gif

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm looking forward to testers' impressions. What I'm most curious about at the moment is whether or not WL2's level design is up to snuff.

5JXQH.gif
Well, the first problem I see is that Wasteland 2 is not an FPS.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So if I buy the DRM free $20 package from the InXile site I get access to the Beta? Without having to install fucking Steam right?

dukeofwhales

Cipher
So if I buy the DRM free $20 package from the InXile site I get access to the Beta? Without having to install fucking Steam right?

Nope, you don't get the beta with a $20 purchase, and yes, you would have to installl Steam.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Alright, 80 minutes now according to Steam timer. Did radio tower and a bit of AG center. I gotta hit the sack now.

Here's some initial feedback, good and bad, big and small:

Just as I predicted, working the camera is way too much work. Zooming, turning, scrolling. It doesn't make the game suck, but I expect people who disliked NWN2 camera will have a hard time with this.
AG center is a camera directing nightmare.

Frog battle was cool. Fucker took my sub-machine gun!

The dialogue system doesn't do it for me. I dislike the keyword boxes. I would have preferred a vertical list of whole strings, Fallout-style.

It's a little annoying to have a character with 1 unspent point have a "level up" icon since there's no way to spend a single point.

Some effects looked out of place: cave entrance glow looked like a loot glow from an MMORPG. Level up effect looked a little too dramatic as well.

Sometimes something would pop up (dunno what) and be immediately cut off by NPC dialogue or something else.

I would have preferred a locked top-down, zoomed-out view in the travel map. Like, you know, Fallout.

Water seems like a pretty unnecessary gimmick but maybe you're planning to do something with it.

Inventory screen has too many flashy effects going on when opening it.

Ag center pods, infections and shit, are tedious. I have a world class doc on my team and he couldn't do shit about it, so I reloaded, and then I had the woman in AgC tell me something about fixing infections later on.

Assault rifles are useless, except when the woman follower uses it because she has 6 skill in it.

There ought to be a highlighting key. Half the time playing was spent on scanning the screen with my mouse and rotating the camera.

End turn button needs to be bigger.

Mouse-over infoboxes on buttons need to appear faster, bigger, and clearer.

There should be an option to delete those custom screenshot-portraits from within the game.

A super short summary:
Combat decent, Writing good, Dialogue system bad, Camera bad, Character system good, Inventory... functional, World map decent.

I won't have too much time playing in the near future, but hopefully other Codexers can debunk or reinforce any points I made.

himmy

Arcane
And while I have beta access, I've chosen to abstain; I'd rather not spoil myself or play an unfinished version.

Are you willing to share the beta key if you're, you know, not using it?

/shameless

I didn't have the money to pledge, but I'm dying to test it a little bit.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Do you really think they'd make a DRM-less beta

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom