Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Company News The Witcher 2 Sales

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Nov 11, 2011.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p><span>Marcin Iwiński from CDProjekt reveals <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/article/71038/the-witcher-2-digital-sales-breakdown-81-on-steam" target="_blank">some sales data</a> of The Witcher 2.</span></p>
    <p><span> </span></p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>Roughly 240,000 copies of The Witcher 2 were sold across all digital distribution platforms between its May 17 launch and October 30, CD Projekt revealed. Steam accounted for over 195,000 of these (around 81%), while Good Old Games rung up "approximately" 35,000 (15%).</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>All other other digital distributors combined--including GamersGate, Direct2Drive, Impulse, and Amazon--only managed "approximately" 10,000 sales (4%-ish) between them.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>"The digital sales of The Witcher 2 have exceeded our expectations," CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwiński said in today's announcement. "We are even more pleased that our own platform GOG.com had such a great share in the Witcher's success."</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>So they've sold 1 million in total, a quarter of that through digital download services.&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/article/71038/the-witcher-2-digital-sales-breakdown-81-on-steam">Shacknews</a></p>

^ Top  
  2. attackfighter Erudite

attackfighter
    Awesome game -> awesome sales. Bioware shall never learn this secret.

^ Top  
  3. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    ^ Top  
  4. Elwro Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    For Bioware, this would be laughable sales, I think,

^ Top  
  5. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    1 million is not that much by itself for a AAA game, but if you consider that this is a PC only title at the moment, it is quite good. I predict the xbawks version will sell another million at least.

^ Top  
  6. ortucis Prophet

ortucis
    These ARE laughable sales for a AAA developer. Why do you think they are working on a console version? Probably will end up outselling DA2 in a month when console version is released.

On Steam like services most PC gamers expect games to be discounted heavily. Else Witcher 2 would have earned a lot more than a million, which is pathetic for a high profile release.

^ Top  
  7. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    True, for PC-only it's not that bad at all and if a future console version sells another million or even more it'd be a pretty good success for CDProjekt.

^ Top  
  8. serch Magister Patron

serch
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That's a good number for PC. Not many PC games sells that much.

^ Top  
  9. made Arcane

made
    That's sad. It was cheaper AND without DRM on GOG... wtf, mankind?

^ Top  
  10. CrimsonAngel Prophet

CrimsonAngel
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    You Also have to take into account that there are less money going to middlemen on the PC.

SO a Million sold on PC is worth more then a million sold on console.

^ Top  
  11. Mrowak Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mrowak
    Project: Eternity
    Advertising and publicity did this. On TW2 boards some people didn't know WTF GOG is.

^ Top  
  12. relootz Scholar

relootz
    .... Steam is much better known, are you getting lobotomized by your long stay at the codex made?

A million sounds good especially for a PC only title. Anyone got an idea how much Starcraft 2 sold?

(I know its RTS but still PC only too)

wikipedia : On August 3, 2010, Blizzard announced that StarCraft II sold more than one million units worldwide within one day of its release :o

^ Top  
  13. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    A million for an ARPG just on PC from a company without the propaganda budget of Bioware and Bethesda? That's great, that is. It's also like most games of it's type bound to keep selling at a steady rate.

In comparison I've read that until July 22 2011(last semi sensible figures I could find) that DA:O sold barely 400,000 copies on the PC(3.79 million in total) and DA2 sold less than 300,000 copies on the PC(out of 1.45 million). Now of course you can take the totals with a grain of salt, but the important thing is the ratio of PC sales to overall sales and that is going to be roughly the same regardless of figures. Since we know from the shareholder reports that DA:O sold-in around 4 million(and of course not all of those were actually sold) then the figures I posted would be reasonably accurate to draw from.

In conclusion, for a Bioware game to sell a million on the PC it would have to sell around 8 million copies in total and they are very far from that. So the r00fles! are on all the Bioware fags that are trying to skew the figures as a tragedy when the real tragedy is within their own pitiful PC sales figures.

Bravo CDPR. Now I hope the XBAWKS version sells as much for increased profit(since the game is done, only needs porting and polishing) and they can start work on TW3!

That's still almost 1.4 million dollars just for CDPR(minus hosting costs of GOG service). Every dollar counts, and considering that the game cost 10 million dollars to make, clearing 10%+ of the development cost from just 35,000 sales is great.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    I haven't even tried this. Still need to finish Witcher 1 and some things put me off about 2.

Just one thing, at least as far as GOG goes, TW2 has also lead to increased sales of TW1.

^ Top  
  15. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    It's doing roughly as well as the first one, nothing disappointing about that. I imagine it has the same deal, with the vast majority of those sales being from Russia, Poland, and Germany.

But those Steamtards sure are stupid, hope they enjoyed downloading the entire game again for their patches.

^ Top  
  16. Sacculina Educated

Sacculina
    Don't a fair number of people purchase the console versions of mutli-platform titles (for convenience perhaps, I dunno) despite owning a capable PC? I don't know to what extent that might eat into the PC sales, but they do seem pitifully low for the BioWare titles compared to the success of The Witcher 2. It'd be interesting to see the break-up of Bethesda's titles for comparison.

^ Top  
  17. Overweight Manatee Scholar

Overweight Manatee
    I'm predicting that releasing a console version much later than the PC version will work out really well. Released at the same time, TW2 would have about 0 attention given to it from the console hordes. A PC release attaining really high scores (considering that they actually have to produce a good game to get them, unlike Bioware) means the chance of TW2 on the consoles being a dud is much lower.

^ Top  
  18. attackfighter Erudite

attackfighter
    StarCraft 2 sold a stupid amount, but it had nothing to do with the game's quality. I believe Blizz spent a couple hundred million on advertising and plus there's considerable brand appeal both with the StarCraft brand and Blizzard brand. StarCraft 1 sold something like 19 million copies (or was it 9 million... I can't remember) so it's no doubt that it's better marketed sequel is also going to do well.

The Witcher 2 otth didn't get a lot of advertising and it's brand appeal is pretty low (both The Witcher and CDProjektRED are pretty obscure, at least outside of Europe). SO all things considered it did pretty well.

^ Top  
  19. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    lolwhat? Please explain this.

^ Top  
  20. Mrowak Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Mrowak
    Project: Eternity
    For unknown reasons the first two patches on Steam were 9GB large. In fact, they were full downloads of patched version of the game. Butthurt ensued.

^ Top  
  21. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "The Witcher 2 otth didn't get a lot of advertising "

Bullshit.

"it's brand appeal is pretty low (both The Witcher and CDProjektRED are pretty obscure, at least outside of Europe)."

Define pretty low.

^ Top  
  22. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The brand appeal is much lower than Dragon Age and Skyrim. And if you ask me to define much lower, then go and lobotomize yourself.

^ Top  
  23. Daemongar Arcane

Daemongar
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire BattleTech
    I bought the game off steam because it was on sale and I got a free hat. Also, it's doing my own little thing to combat piracy. Check and mate.

^ Top  
  24. And FUCK YEAH SKYRIMS has 228,000 people playing at once on release day Steam, so the actual sales numbers would be even higher. :yeah:

^ Top  
  25. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    It'll sell better on its native console version.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)