Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Thief 2 fan missions and campaigns

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by SCO, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Andronovo Novice

Andronovo
    I'm going to call you a faggot now. And I'm going to keep calling you or anyone else who pitches a fit a faggot until you stop taking me seriously. Really, who gets worked up about banter on the internet?

I hope and pray that the day comes when someone with good taste makes a COMPLETE Thief Gold texture pack. I doubt that person will be me though, I'm far too lazy.

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    • Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Zenith Savant

Zenith
    Guess I should be reading the patch notes after all. Thanks!

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Andronovo Novice

Andronovo
    Are there any FMs like Compulsory Egress? I haven't been able to find any they do that good of a job with the sprawling town and exploration feel.

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. pavis Educated

pavis
    Sure, you can try (with no particular order) for thief2:
    • A short night's work
    • Behind closed doors
    • Being thief
    • Bones episodes 1: the old quarter
    • Cracks in the glass (a coup de maitre for a first mission)
    • Morbid curiosity
    • Disorientation
    • Home sweet home
    • L'Arsene (Emilie Victor 1)
    • Shadow plans
    • A night in Rocksburg (1 and 2)
    • Waterfront racket
    For thief1:
    • Most missions from the excellent Skacky and Melan (Between these dark walls, Endless rain, Rose garden...)
    • Some of the 20 years anniversary context: The Whistling of the gears, The sound of a burrick in a room, The burning bedlam, Lost among the forsaken (ruins)

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. forumvisitor#451 Savant

forumvisitor#451
    Are there any Thief FMs like The Swing in The Dark Mod where you just jump, run around and mantle without any actual gameplay? Counter Strike's Jump or Surf maps come to mind... anything like that in Thief?

Edit: Yes something like this haha -

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    • Doggy Doggy x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Andronovo Novice

Andronovo
    What FM's do the best FMs at nailing the pagan asthetic? They're a lot that have a little bit of paganism sprinkled around, but I haven't seen many that go all out with it.

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    [​IMG]

• Brofist x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Doggy x 2
    • decline x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Mikeal Cipher

Mikeal
    Why sudden leap for T:TDP/T:G?

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Schlock Educated

Schlock
    TDP 20th Anniversary Contest. The fatigue from that contest, and the fact that the T2 20th Anniversary Contest is still in progress, are probably the reason for the slump in 2019.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Icewater Artisanal Shitposting™ Patron

Icewater
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    That feel when still playing Thief in 2020, partly because it's really damn good, but more so because nothing wholly better than it has ever been made despite it having been over 20 years since the original release.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    There's several dozens of games from that period you could easily say the same about. Fucking decline.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Schlock Educated

Schlock
  13. Schlock Educated

Schlock
    Current list of participants for the Thief 2 anniversary contest:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    Honorable mention to nicked, and his upcoming Thief 2 themed (but not contest eligible) FM.

• incline incline x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    In 2007 I played all the worthy (based on review scores) Thief 1 fan missions that had been made up to then. I even started T2 missions before I burnt out.
    Of all those missions I thought Calendra's Cistern was in a class of its own, and the only one comparable to the best of the original ones. So I was curious what I would feel about it after replaying it.

Remembering very little from the first time, I completed it in 4 hours and 21 minutes on "Garrett" (Expert) without using any walkthroughs. And while it's technically brilliant with extremely good voice acting and a good background story, I don't think the actual gameplay is really superior to some other FMs from the same era.
    But it's the first FM I have mostly ghosted, only blackjacking isolated guards.

From reading about it aftwerwards I see I missed some content. I found the blowupable wall section, but no explosives. And I never found The Observatory or any part of Brother A's body but the head.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Do you plan on playing the T1 Fan Missions now that were released after 2007?

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Played the old Curse of the Ancients for T1. Crude architecture and lighting, but it's a nice tomb robbing mission with good gameplay and puzzles. Funny thing was that the only thing I had to look up (watching a playthrough on YouTube) was something apparantly nobody else had problems with. Turns out you need to swing a weapon against a ghost, but not hitting him, in order for him to open a secret stash.
    All enemies are undead, so not for sensitive little tafferinos.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Andronovo Novice

Andronovo
    Top marks for Catacombs of Knoss. Part one made me cream myself, part two made me shit myself.

• Doggy x 3
    • Balanced x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Completed Errand Boy for Thief 2, another old classic. Took me just under six hours. :negative:
    What happened to those cute little missions that you could finish in one go?

A mission that grew on me. At first I thought I couldn't blackjack any guards, but my spirits rose when I realized it only applied to the guards patroling the streets. But the sheer amount of guards made the mission needlessly tedious, at least before I realized the guards are completely blind in the dark even if passing an inch from Garrett.
    [​IMG]

Apparantly the modder - "belboz" - spend 14 days making a nude skin of the female guards, so that Garrett could use his mad stealth skillz to spy in the shower:
    [​IMG]
    Out of academic interest I moved around her to check if the model was anatomically correct. Since I don't want to harvest [​IMG]s I can't provide a screenshot of the image that will forever haunt Garrett in his nightmares.

This mission is pretty much the opposite of the previous mission I played: Curse of the Ancients. Almost exclusively human enemies and lots of sneaking in an urban environment. Was quite tedious in the beginning, what with the no BJ rule and rather confusing goals, but it actually got better and better, which is rare.
    Only had to look up one thing: where the bloody Keymaster and his master key was. As in CofA I managed all the difficult stuff without help, but was stomped with a relative simple one (at least judging from the number of "Halp! Can't find ..." threads on TTLG.

This is the first map in the The Trickster Gem Mine campaign. After some hours I recalled that that was the campaign I was playing (one of the last maps) when I was burnt out from playing too much T2 about 12 years ago. I also recall not liking the maps very much (I prefer tomb raiding and more exotic maps than urban sneaking), so I don't think I will continue this campaing, especially since I already played most of it before.
    This probably means that every T2 mission I will play from now on will be ones I've never played before.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Goldfist Goldfist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Godspeed, noble soul. But share your trials with the rest of us.

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Andronovo Novice

Andronovo
    How much is the difference in AI awareness in hard vs expert? I've played on both, and I can't tell the difference, except that they seem to stay alert for less time once set off. I don't mind the awareness on Eepert, but I occasionally like to engage in combat, and I don't appreciate having guard that take fifteen hits to kill while I only take two. I supposed it's another reason to play Dark Mod, you can just poke them in the face.

• Doggy Doggy x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I hate this mission:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Except for needing help finding the Battlement Key, I've figured out everything. But I'm 21 bloody gold short before I can lower the drawbridge, raise the portcullis and run like taff out of the castle.
    Typically enough I struggle with a thing nobody else seem to have had problems with (but I think most played it on Hard, though). I found the ring in the theater and the ring in the garden, but no idea where to find the missing pieces. I guess I'll have to watch a playthrough on YouTube too see where the elusive loot is, 'cause I'm tired if sneaking past the same guards all the time. Limited or no blackjacking is not fun when you have to backtrack so much, but OTOH limited to eight it makes the mission more strategic.

Overall a nice mission, with some great architecture (some of it had a weird scale, though) and good lighting, but frustrating when you can't find those last gold pieces.

I've actually played it twice before. I recall vividly the small balcony and use it to access the room next door, and thinking "I've played this before". But I can't recall the pyramid, so I don't think I ever actually finished it.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    octavius I checked the lootlist, and the only 'hard-to-find' loot items I can see there is a gemstone in a bathroom and a jar in the temple ruins. Either one of those should help you clear the threshold.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    The sword in the Armoury (worth 100 gold) was also too hard for me to find. Didn't see your post in time, so I found out from YouTube. There's a woman - Nexus Letum - who's apparantly been playing every Thief FM ever made.

EDIT: funny how the two things I missed were both in the same small room.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    After Errand Boy and Order of the Vine, Cult of the Resurrection was an easy (but solid) mission. No knock-out limitations, relatively few guards and very basic guard AI made it too easy, but it has good atmosphere and some nice puzzles.
    The only thing I had problems with was finding the last piece of loot. Turns out queasiness does not pay off in Thief, since the gem was in the lavatory, after having been accidentally eaten!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    If you played "The Order of the Vine" right, you were literally jumping around in the muck of the estate's lavatories. It pays to attend to the toilets. (Just be mindful of 'A Servant's Life' which took it too far.)

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top