Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Thief 2 fan missions and campaigns

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by SCO, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Kutulu Magister Patron

Kutulu
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I know, blasphemy but i never finished a thief game.. Bought the first one on release but after hours of trying i could never
    finish the fourth or fifth mission, mostly played fps (quakeworld) at the time and had no patience...

So whats the best way to play them, just GOG versions and thats it? Or is there something wrong with them?

^ Top  
  2. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    GOG versions are fine, but you still may need the TFix patch for Thief 1, and the Tafferpatcher for Thief 2. There are also some optional texture mods.

^ Top  
  3. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I got as high as
    Show Spoiler
    2695 on Expert, but no better.

Buy the GOG version, patch it with TFix. Vanilla Thief 1 is a better overall experience than Thief Gold if you can get your hands on it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    ^ Top  
  4. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    Klytus, I'm boooored.

Suggest me a Thief 1/Gold mission that's not one of the obvious ones (e.g. Calendra, Lord Edmund, Trial by Night, Walking the Edge, anything by Skacky, etc.), but offers a good thieving experience. Sinister pagan/woodsie themes are a plus, but aren't a requirement.

^ Top  
  5. skacky Prestigious Gentleman 3D Realms Developer

skacky
    Not many woodsie FMs. The Order of the Vine, Augustine's Revenge, Geller's Pride, Invitation to Castle Morgoth, Lord Beilman's Estate, The Hand of Glory, Projekt Hammer, Returning a Favor... most of these aren't Pagan in theme but are less known perhaps.
    Man I wish vexd would finally finish and release Merrick's Cellar.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Random_Taffer Educated

Random_Taffer
    The Order of the Vine is definitely the first thing that popped into my mind.

^ Top  
  7. Max_b5 Learned

Max_b5
    IDK how it's gonna work with NewDark, but Thieves' Quarter is the only thing I could think of.

^ Top  
  8. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Best way for me to answer that is just to post the T1/Gold missions I keep around, which sadly are far too few:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Yandros Learned

Yandros
    YanRanTan's mission The Drymian Codex has a heavy pagan involvement in the story, as well as new pagan AIs, if you've never played it - but it is of course for T2.

^ Top  
  10. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    Indeed, but I played it just a little while ago, so the memories are still fresh. Definitely on the "replay in two or three years" pile, though.

^ Top  
  11. Dev_Anj Learned

Dev_Anj
    While browsing through TTLG I came across a very well written post related to level design:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90551

Not sure how relevant it is today, but it's worth noting for anyone designing levels for the Thief games, Dark Mod or even for commercial games in general.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    It's still relevant in the broad strokes, though some of the finer details he comments on may have lost their meanings in the 11 years since he made that post.

But if I may point out what stood out in his post:

# Good level design is an underlying foundation of a good FM. Thief is the last game that should have linear hallways or "conveniently" placed terrain/furniture.
    # Readables. If he thought they were bad back then, he'd flip his lid today. "Audiolog syndrome" is a pandemic in FM writing. While it gets the job done, it reeks too much of laziness.
    # Appropriate length. This is one that many FM-authors of today just flat-out ignore on purpose. Yes, NewDark raises the stakes in what can be done...but does that mean that FMs should go all that distance? This is the biggest complaint I have against FMs like "Being Thief 2" - an ambitious cityscape-mission that had to be split into 2 parts because NewDark couldn't contain the author's full vision...yet the division between the 2 missions ended up being 95%/5% - the second mission could have been ignored entirely and the end of the first one cleaned up a bit to make everything much smoother.

^ Top  
  13. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    I remember that post; read it when I was getting into mission design in 2007, and kept nodding along. The 2003-2004 period was definitely a time like that in FM design. Lots of overwrought Victoriana, dime-a-dozen tragic family stories, frustrating design practices and lots of one-upmanship. In hindsight, it was also a period of FMs coming into their own as their own genre instead of the early phase of imitation and plain weirdness. But this also meant that many people just wanted their Thief to be the Victorian burglary simulator they never got in TDP, and only sorta got in TMA.

This is one of the reasons I like to replay early fan missions, because they are fun and inspiring in unexpected ways. I recently played The Hand of Glory on your recommendations, and while it has some really flat and badly proportioned architecture, it succeeds as a double breakin mission. Good clues, tight sneaking, interesting places to explore, and a few touches that are really worth stealing - simple things like a "fortified" barred window that opens with a lever.

(Lord Edmund was also an early model for my missions. I never believed in replicating things like Calendra's Cistern, but thought I could do something like Lord Edmund or The Circle of Strain 3, only with a few more extra locations. Bad Debts only expanded into its final XL-size due to getting scale consistently wrong in the editor. It was a mission that wanted to be anything but grandiose and huge, and utterly missed its target. How much plain incompetence shaped it may be a story worth telling, but it is probably better told in the form of an LP.)

^ Top  
  14. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    That mission is amazing and feels like it could've been a vanilla Thief Gold mission from its atmosphere. Glorious.

^ Top  
  15. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    So I just played through Errand Boy, the first mission of the Trickster's Gem Mine campaign, as it's one of the first missions I played thanks to Unkillable Cat's recommendation, and I rated it a solid 6/10 because it definitely shows potential and has great ideas, but the execution is kinda lacking. It stretched on for too long, usually I don't mind long missions - and with 2 hours, this is far from the longest I played - but this one grows tedious later on due to all the backtracking, and most of it looks like a typical early Thief FM, with rooms too large and empty. The concept is solid, but all the backtracking through city streets swarming with guards you're not allowed to knock out makes it a tedious affair, and there is some minor keyhunting involved, but that's mostly fine as the relevant keys are easy enough to find. There is some verticality, as you have to enter a few locked houses through the windows by using rope arrows, which is cool. Overall, a solid mission that could've been a lot more enjoyable if some things had been designed differently.

The mission's concept, however, is pretty great and shows some of that early FM creativity people here have mentioned.

^ Top  
  16. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Divinity: Original Sin
    FUUUUUUUUU....

Playing through darkstone gem 2. Everything is going fine. 2 hours in. Forget to create multiple saves. Falls from hammerite tower. press f9 to reload, but i'm playing in a darkroom, accidentally preesed F5. Game is saved before death!!!

:x:x:x

Does this game has a fly cheat???

^ Top  
  17. Max_b5 Learned

Max_b5

Yes it does. Load Dromed > Go into game mode > Load your saved game > Press SHIFT+Q and save in a safe place. Exit Dromed, execute the game and load your saved game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Holy shit, I don't know why I missed Darkstone Gem when the first episode came out - but now I'm starting from the beginning and have a whole bunch of cool missions to play! The first mission already looks gorgeous as fuck, I love the lighting and texturing, and that is probably the most atmospheric Mechanist church I've ever seen. Usually, Mechanists don't really fit that well into the Thiefy atmosphere, or basically have a different, "colder" atmosphere compared to the other factions, which are darker and more "earthy". But this Mechanist church? It almost seems Hammerite, and fits perfectly into the general Thief atmosphere. It's probably due to the lighting.

^ Top  
  19. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Well, finished playing Darkstone Gem series. One thing I loved about these missions is how a simple door or window is an entrance to a big new area, instead of just a small closed room. That hammer compound in the last mission was bigger than I expected. It was like a level inside of a level.

Oh, and as it turned out, I had to restart because my savegame had a dead garrett...

Now that I finished, today I played the most of Cryptic realms, and I'm missing one secret. The problem is, I now know where this secret is supposed to be, but in the black & white version I'm playing, there's a solid wall behind a breakable wall, making it impossible to fetch the last loot. I've seen only the color version of the walkthrough, and there's no wall in the secret room, only the breakable. Is that how it's supposed to be?

EDIT: well, i downloaded a new version and it fixed...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    ^ Top  
  20. moraes Cipher Patron

moraes
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So, I'm playing the unofficial expansion (T2X) and I'll finish it soon. What are some of the best FMs out there? Also, is there a website wich collects and archives these missions, like the old NWN Vault sites?

And should I play Deadly Shadows?

^ Top  
  21. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    To answer your first question, I suggest reading this very thread from the start.

As for your second question, there's a recent thread over at TTLG that answers that better than I could, hopefully one of the TTLG regulars that post here can point you towards that.

As for Deadly Shadows...yes, play it. It's not as good as Thief 1+2, but it's still a neat stealth game, and there's a unofficial patch out that helps make it closer to T1+T2 in various ways.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    there's this:

http://www.taffersparadise.net/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Melan Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    http://thiefmissions.com/ is the main fan mission archive, but it is down at the moment.

TTLG maintains a mission listing by type that's fairly handy, with a special category linking to "best of" and "recommend me" threads. There is a 4chan FM guide that aligns well with my tastes (potential bias: it starts with one of my missions in the #1 slot +M):
    Show Spoiler

In no particular order, my top suggestions to continue from T2X would be:
    • The Seven Sisters by Lady Rowena
    • Skacky's Thief Gold series - Shadow Politics, Within These Dark Walls, Endless Rain, The Chalice of Souls and Dirty Money
    • The Rocksbourg Series by DrK
    • Gems of Provenance by Stinkykitty (this four-mission pack is a bit rough around the edges, but very rewarding when you get into it)
    • Purah's mission series - Autumn in Lampfire Hills, Calendra's Cistern and Calendra's Legacy (features non-standard gameplay)
    • The CoSaS missions, all two of them.
    T2X is the most evenly polished "full campaign" for Thief, but the individual missions are arguably not among the best. Expect the recommended fan missions to be more uneven, for both better and worse.

Deadly Shadows is worth playing, but don't expect it to be nearly as good as the first two games.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  24. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    *checks 4chan FM guide*

:)

^ Top  
  25. Dev_Anj Learned

Dev_Anj
    Just coming here to post that it's no longer down. Builder be praised!

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)