Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #4: Legacies and Cults

Diablo169

Arcane
Yeah I ninja edited that since using the term engine didn't get across what I was really asking.

BobtheTree

Savant
Unity is a pretty versatile engine. Go to their site and look at all the different kind of games. I'm pretty sure PE is going to be 2D art backdrops and a fixed perspective like the Infinity Engine games, while W2 is in isometric 3D.

hiver

Any info on how soon we will be informed on the visual representation of the World and the world map Brother None?

A week, two, sooner?

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm expecting it to be hand-painted given Torment is looking set to break 3 million. If not, I WILL HAVE YOUR HEADS

hiver

To be clearer, im not asking about 2d handpainted backgrounds, but how will the world be represented as a map, including traveling over it.
And i would just like to know how soon could we get that info.

Dermi

Novice
Brother None: out of curiosity, what would you say to a retard who claims that your initial goal was set to make "incomplete" game, because now you're asking for additional money, so you clearly set for bare minimum and already planned to sell "DLCs" (he means stretch goals), so to make a game whole? Why not ask for, let's say, 5 millions from the start and count on people to back you with this amount for a "full" game with nothing cut? I tried a bit reasoning with him (futile, I know, yet still...), but I wonder if you could give a bit of your own reasoning.

Dermi

Novice
mindx2 It helps jumping to last unread post, which is main reason I make account *anywhere*. I think there is only one forum I've been more active, what means making about 1050 posts in 10 years ;) Not sure if being Potato has any factor in it.

Justin

Novice
HAS to be 2D ... Dhall's bigass book would lose so much gravitas if the camera could swivel around it willy-nilly.

17-Torment_2010-11-10_09-14-49-81.png

Kirtai

Augur
3D doesn't mean you have to be able to rotate the camera, it can be just as fixed as in a 2D game.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Any info on how soon we will be informed on the visual representation of the World and the world map Brother None?

A week, two, sooner?
Can't say, sorry.

Brother None: out of curiosity, what would you say to a retard who claims that your initial goal was set to make "incomplete" game, because now you're asking for additional money, so you clearly set for bare minimum and already planned to sell "DLCs" (he means stretch goals), so to make a game whole? Why not ask for, let's say, 5 millions from the start and count on people to back you with this amount for a "full" game with nothing cut? I tried a bit reasoning with him (futile, I know, yet still...), but I wonder if you could give a bit of your own reasoning.
Hmmm, it sounds like he just doesn't like the Kickstarter format, and it's hard to explain from that basis. The truth is we always ask for the minimum we need to make a good game, and it is a realistic minimum for the game we envision, but it would indeed be more limited in scope. It's not different than when pitching games to publishers, though, you have your minimum needs but you may ask for more, looking to make a better game. A budget is a gradual point, not an either/or question. Also, it's not really comparable to DLC since no one customer is paying extra for it. Instead, it's a win-win situation, the game improves for every individual backer without them having to put more in individually, and we get a higher budget to build a game with.

Kirtai

Augur
The truth is we always ask for the minimum we need to make a good game, and it is a realistic minimum for the game we envision, but it would indeed be more limited in scope.
More money = more details, more backstory, more side areas, more ways to solve any given problem and more routes through plot arcs (and longer, more complex plot arcs)?

hiver

Basically - yes. There is also a matter of getting a negative reaction if you ask for too much. Which, asking for 5 million would certainly be - considering that Wasteland 2 asked only for 9 hundred K.

You can also present a shorter, more direct argument to your friend by kicking the living shit out of him.

Can't say, sorry.
Strange. One would think that matter is already been decided upon. Hmm, those questions about mounts or transport .... hmm, hmm...
Well, no matter. I guess we will find out when we find out.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
It's like that with any piece of software. There is a development cost associated with necessary basic functionality, and there is additional functionality and bells and whistles that requires additional funds. Not to mention the 'tiny' fact that if they were asking for the mentioned 5 million on the Kickstarter there would be a high probability of not reaching the goal and no game being made.

Dermi

Novice
Hmmm, it sounds like he just doesn't like the Kickstarter format, and it's hard to explain from that basis.
Yeah, I suspect so. Actually, I think that he'd be more happy with you failing to deliver a game than with playing it (hence: retard).

The truth is we always ask for the minimum we need to make a good game, and it is a realistic minimum for the game we envision, but it would indeed be more limited in scope. It's not different than when pitching games to publishers, though, you have your minimum needs but you may ask for more, looking to make a better game. A budget is a gradual point, not an either/or question. Also, it's not really comparable to DLC since no one customer is paying extra for it. Instead, it's a win-win situation, the game improves for every individual backer without them having to put more in individually, and we get a higher budget to build a game with.
That's what I thought. And I wouldn't call stretch goals "DLCs" neither, because I see it as something you simply do or don't, depending on the money, and not cut it intentionally to sell it later.

Basically - yes. There is also a matter of getting a negative reaction if you ask for too much. Which, asking for 5 million would certainly be - considering that Wasteland 2 asked only for 9 hundred K.
Tried that, didn't help ;)

You can also present a shorter, more direct argument to your friend by kicking the living shit out of him.
OTOH, I don't see wasting my time on tracking some particular retard. Sadly, on said forum you have to watch (more or less) how you address people...

More money = more details, more backstory, more side areas, more ways to solve any given problem and more routes through plot arcs (and longer, more complex plot arcs)?
And with his twisted logic it means the initial pitch was incomplete, since you can add all those things, you shpuld include all of them from the start (and need infinite funds, apparently, to spend eternity making game and adding things).

It's like that with any piece of software. There is a development cost associated with necessary basic functionality, and there is additional functionality and bells and whistles that requires additional funds. Not to mention the 'tiny' fact that if they were asking for the mentioned 5 million on the Kickstarter there would be a high probability of not reaching the goal and no game being made.
See, I thought that was obvious for any sane person interested in game development. Apparently it isn't. Well, retards gonna retard, I should've known better...

Kirtai

Augur
And with his twisted logic it means the initial pitch was incomplete, since you can add all those things, you shpuld include all of them from the start (and need infinite funds, apparently, to spend eternity making game and adding things).
Well, maybe an analogy would help. Consider it like hiring a carpenter to make a table. If you pay the minimum you get a plain table made from pine. Pay more and you get one made of birch. Pay a fuckton more and you get one made of carved, inlaid mahogany. But regardless of how much you pay, you still get a table, only the quality and workmanship varies.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There will always be people who react with irrational suspicion when you ask them to open their wallets.

The only cure for them will be for a great game to come out of this Kickstarting process. Only that will allow them to trust the system.

hiver

If you dig more into that psyche, you will probably find he prefers ass defect and thinks third was a masterpiece, or likes bethesda games and other shit action RPGs while calling them "true RPGs" because he can larp a hero, save the world with visceral epic awesome actionz! and "fuck" sexy... something... in it or some such shit.
Therefore, he feels bad, his ego is suffering in fear of not being actually so awesome as it would like to be.
That leads into inventing stupid shit about these Kickstarter games and nonsensical stupid thinking - refusal to even consider actual arguments.

Its called cognitive dissonance.
Usually incurable. Even if or when games come out and turn out to be great - he will be shitting over it all for years to come.
Or will switch opinion later due to shift in popularity.

Not to worry. There is no need for every moron to support these projects.
:looks at kickstarter page:

2.4 and raising like a tide of :incline:.

Also, i thought its some personal friend you know in real life, thus suggestion of kicking his ass.
Though i heard Ryan air has even cheaper tickets for "plane tickets bitch!" client option.

Dermi

Novice
Well, maybe an analogy would help. Consider it like hiring a carpenter to make a table. If you pay the minimum you get a plain table made from pine. Pay more and you get one made of birch. Pay a fuckton more and you get one made of carved, inlaid mahogany. But regardless of how much you pay, you still get a table, only the quality and workmanship varies.
Nice one, I think I'll actually might try this one. Not that it should change his mind, but it might be fun regardless.

Also, i thought its some personal friend you know in real life, thus suggestion of kicking his ass.
Though i heard Ryan air has even cheaper tickets for "plane tickets bitch!" client option.
Nah, I've already sold a kidney and donate blood to inXile for this Kickstarter; and I'm too much of a cheapskate to waste money on some random internetz faggot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom