Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trying to remember an obscure fantasy setting

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I'm trying to desperately to remember a certain fantasy setting. Sadly I can't recall many details about it, but here is what I remember:

It is fairly old, I think, developed in the 60s or 70s?

It seemed to have little emphasis on humans and was primarily beast/reptile races. I think it had one race that looked like frog people. It had really good quality illustrations that were reminiscent of Morrowind, this is what attracted me to the setting.

Like this.
MW-concept-05.jpg

It had something to do with language. Like the setting had its own language or something.

It's not any big, well known setting.

I know this isn't much to go on, but I'm hoping someone is familiar with the setting.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Empire of the Petal Throne: The World of Tékumel was published by TSR in 1975, the second RPG ever published by TSR, and was written by linguist M.A.R. Barker, who had developed the setting years earlier based on South Asia, ancient Egypt, and pre-Columbian meso-America. Although never a commercial success, Tékumel has achieved a new edition every decade, with a different publisher and different ruleset each time.

Foreward
It is a great privilege to be given the task of writing the prefatory remarks to Professor Barker's tremendous creation EMPIRE OF THE PETAL THRONE. It is also something which I approach with considerable reservation, for what can I tell you about this incredible labor that its author and the game components haven't already said far better than I possible can? So I simply state that it is the most beautifully done fantasy game ever created. It is difficult for me to envision the possibility of any rival being created in the future. Comparisons are often misleading, but carefully drawn ones can be helpful and informative. Therefore, I must ask the reader to view the world of Tekumel in comparison with J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth. A study of the background detail and society of each will force the reader to the conclusion that the former work is, if anything, at least as painstakingly and lovingly detailed as that of the acknowledged master of the fantasy world in toto. J .R.R. Tolkien did not, of course, ever imagine his Middle Earth as a vehicle for the play of fantasy games - much to the loss of his myriads of devotees. But 'professor Barker has neither had the opportunity to introduce and familiarize his Tekumel by means of popular works of fiction. It is unfortunate likewise that Professor Tolkien did not survive to contemplate the possibilities of creating a fantasy game which would allow his readers the opportunity of sharing even more intimately in Middle Earth through such adventures and campaigns as are offered herein. The author of this work may yet publish his incomplete (at the time of this writing) novel of the world of the Petal Throne, and I look forward eagerly to this prospect not only in order to enjoy the excitement and beauty of Tekumel on a broader basis, but because I am convinced that this will also bring much deserved fame to its author.

In a similar vein, I am unable to relate much personal information about Professor Barker, for I have known him for but a short time and then only through his game creations, correspondence, and telephone communication - both forms of communication being on the lengthy side, but the former far less expensive than the latter, for I tend to go on at length regardless of the cost. His wargaming friends and associates in the Twin Cities area have also told me much about him. Professor Barker illustrates (as is proven herein, well indeed!) and sculpts (there are rumors of an army of 2,000 hand carved figures for Tekumel) amongst his many other talents. In fact, I have begun to wonder what he cannot do rather than what he can. If there is such a thing as a Renaissance Man, I am inclined to believe that Professor Barker amply fills the qualifications on all counts. To put it in the tritest of phrases, he is a gentleman and a scholar. More importantly where we are concerned , he is a superb author of fantasy and fantasy games. Enjoy!

E. Gary Gygax
Tactical Studies Rules Editor,
1 July 1975, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
+M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom