Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Tyranny Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Paradox Interactive; Tyranny

Today is the release day of Tyranny, Obsidian's new choice & consequence-focused isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won. Ever since it was announced back in March, Tyranny has received a great deal of scrutiny on our forums - for its premise (which some doubted today's Obsidian was capable of handling with sufficient depth), for the writing in some of its development updates, for its artistic style, and for its openly streamlined combat system. Even I think there was something tone-deaf about the way Obsidian and Paradox handled the game's marketing.

In recent weeks, however, opinions of Tyranny seem to have softened somewhat, as videos and livestreams featuring actual gameplay became available, revealing it to be pretty much a Pillars of Eternity total conversion with some interesting features, and not some completely horrible abomination. Now it's out, so we can find out for sure whether Obsidian's Pillars-meets-Dragon Age-meets Elder Scrolls-meets-Age of Decadence experiment has succeeded. Here's its launch trailer:

There are a bunch of release day reviews:

PC Gamer 75/100
    PCGamesN 8/10
    PCWorld 3.5/5
    IGN 8.3/10
    MMORPG.com 9/10
    GameWatcher 9/10
    Hardcore Gamer 4/5
    Fextralife 8.5/10
    Game Rant 4.5/5
    WCCFtech 9/10
    Expansive 9/10
    GamingOnLinux
    As you can see, they're generally positive, but a few dip down into "mixed" territory, citing issues with the game's story and combat. Are these issues for real, or are they just a case of game journalists allowing themselves to be dumb/lazy/edgy with a somewhat obscure title? Our review, which will hopefully be out in the not-too-distant future, will surely answer those questions. Or you can answer them yourself. Tyranny is available now on Steam and GOG for the price of $45. It'll be interesting to see how well it does.

• Brofist x 12
    • decline x 3
    • meh x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    lol RTwP abomination by the stripped-out corpse of Obsidian

Who the fuck cares

Pity post

• Brofist x 12
    • Shit x 12
    • Salute x 7
    • Agree x 5
    • butthurt x 4
    • retadred x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Parts of that video looked like PoE, parts looked like D:OS, and parts looked like Torment 2. Running animation reminded me of ToEE. None of it looked particularly original or distinctive, but for some reason I still want to play it. Obsidian, I'll give you £20 for it. The more you stall, the less I offer.

^ Top  
  4. crawlkill Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!

crawlkill
    I feel like I've changed as a person that I'm not excited about this. waiting on reviews! will we ebber get another New Vegas? oo can say

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I'm honestly surprised at the generally positive reviews. Thought this would be a critical flop for some reason (independent of the actual quality of the game) - I guess because it seemed that no one was following the game or cared, plus the press do like to give average reviews to Obsidian occasionally.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hard to read too much into reviews any more. They look like typical I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to like this or not scores. Did I completely miss the hype for this game or did Obsidian stealth-release it onto an unsuspecting public.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. CWagner Scholar

CWagner
    I feel like the codex certainly tried to hype it.

^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Doing the job nobody else would.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 11
    • Funny x 4
    • Salute x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • meh x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Shilandra Learned

Shilandra
    Eh, didn't know this was coming out so soon. Might as well try it out seeing as how i was already at a loss for what to play next and I just won a big bet. No skin off my teeth if it turns out below par. Hope it can perform!

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. crawlkill Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!

crawlkill
    I was shocked to realize it'd come out, thought it was ages away. But I don't...really know where I get gaming news from, now I think about it.

on reflection I think I'm not excited because I thought PoE's worldbuilding was terrible and exhausting, somehow detail everywhere but none of it turning into my understanding the setting at all, and I don't relish the thought of plunging into another new Obsidian setting and being subject to the same bad exposition

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Bumvelcrow Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Another one for the Trump tag!

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Oh so in the end they went with a 'realistic' palette after the 20 pages of Codex rants against the Torchlight style concept art. Good. Also I keep reading that its 'short' at 20-30 hrs which is good too if it's nice and focused like Fallout or Gothic was. At least Obsidian might have learned unlike others that less is more.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. dfrangipane Barely Literate

dfrangipane
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. duanth123 Arcane

duanth123
    PC Gamer

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    • decline decline x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Here's what the same reviewer said on the same issue a few hours later:

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Yes, my remark about game journalists in the OP wasn't entirely speculative. :M

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. an Administrator Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
    It's too expensive.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Fuck Obsidian.

• Agree x 6
    • Disagree x 4
    • butthurt x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. deama Arbiter

deama
    Well, this time they designed it so it's not as annoying playing it solo, so it should be nicer for me.

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. taviow Liturgist

taviow
    So is it a given that there will be DLC? This puts me off of getting it now, especially since I've read there's a cliffhanger ending which honestly just pisses me off (but to be fair I don't know if this is true). At this point I'm more inclined toward waiting until all the content comes out to then get it when they release an edition that features everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    There might be DLC, but it's not a "given", I would say. Might depend on sales.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. taviow Liturgist

taviow
    For me it depends on how cheap the cliffhanger is, which is the thing that upsets me most depending on how they handled it. I can accept some degree of planning for an expansion/sequel/DLC or whatever, but I don't think it's ok to make an unsatisfying story on its own. I guess I'll just wait and see how people react to the ending.

^ Top  
  23. flabbyjack Arcane

flabbyjack
    Looks like it's time to buy Pillars of Eternity.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Another reviewer weighs in on NeoGAF:

• Informative x 7
    • decline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Tyranny may be shit, but I am certain the coming years under Trump regime will help Obsidian make Tyranny 2 great again :smug:

• Funny Funny x 15
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)