Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UT or UT2K4 ?

Venser

Erudite
Which one is better for single player against the AI ( bots ) ?

Both have really good bot AI but why would you even want that?

PorkBarrellGuy

Which one is better for single player against the AI ( bots ) ?

Both have really good bot AI but why would you even want that?

1. Sometimes bots make decent "filler" on maps/modes that work better with lots of players
2. Being able to slip into a game with all human opponents is probably only going to get more and more difficult
3. If for some reason you want to do the single-player Career mode in 2k4 you probably don't want dumbshit pushovers to fight your way through

Human opponents are going to be better in most cases, absolutely (though there are some real fuckin' idiots out there). But in a pinch, it's nice to have bots that don't feel like complete imbeciles.

PorkBarrellGuy

Overall I'd say:

DM/TDM work fine with a few players, and it's easy to get human opponents for these.
Dom/DDom are actually BETTER with like 4-6 players tops.
Bombing Run is a blast with lots of players but is probably very playable with something like 8 players.
Assault depends ENTIRELY on scenario/map, but usually more players will result in a longer and harder-fought game. If that's what you want, get more players in (bots or otherwise).
CTF (both kinds) benefits from more players, I think, though there are probably substantially diminishing returns on fun after 10 players or so.
Instagib anything gets fucking nuts with lots of players. Instagib modes are best as duels or with 4-6 players max I think.
Barring very specific highly-compact maps with simplistic node layouts Onslaught ALWAYS benefits from more players. If you find that high player count is turning Onslaught into a prolonged slog it's because you're not effectively coordinating with your team to push on nodes and so on.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I prefer ut2k4.

I generally think Assault is most fun way to play the game, and the assault maps in 2k4 are in my opinion better and more varied than in the original.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I always preferred UT99 and keep going back to that game. I played 2004 a lot too when it was new but it has a worse art style and I don't care about the added modes and vehicles. So UT99 for me.

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
I only cared about the vehicle mode Onslaught in UT2K4 and I played the map Torlan exclusively. I must've put like 1000 hours into it. When I wanted to play deathmatch I just fired up Quake 3 that did it million times better.

PorkBarrellGuy

I only cared about the vehicle mode Onslaught in UT2K4 and I played the map Torlan exclusively. I must've put like 1000 hours into it. When I wanted to play deathmatch I just fired up Quake 3 that did it million times better.

Torlan is a pretty good ONS map but there are better, I think. The thing about Torlan is that there isn't really much reason to mess with the default node path setup.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I used to play a shit ton of ONS and that Skaarj Mothership map when I played 2004. I always liked that medieval ONS map that had a thick greyish/brownish fog, loved the atmosphere in that one.

It's a difficult call. I'd give the victory to UT2k4 though. The improved game modes, awesome vehicles, graphics (despite inferior art style), and movement all are just a step above the UT99 like a true successor should. I feel like the weapons (for the most part) were an improvement too. The AI in UT99 is a bit superior, but not drastically. Many of the deathmatch map designs feel better in UT99 as well. That being said, I will still occasionally play both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom