Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Van Buren tech demo

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Calis, May 2, 2007.

1. Calis Pensionado

Calis
    Tags: Black Isle Studios; Fallout 3 (Van Buren)

Straight from the "Things that could have been" department, <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com" target="_blank">No Mutants Allowed</A> have asked their former BIS contacts to kick the dead Van Buren horse one more time, which has resulted in them getting their greasy hands on the Van Buren tech demo code. In case you're wondering, Van Buren was Black Isle Studios' last attempt at making Fallout 3 before licensing (and subsequently selling) the IP to Bethesda.
    <br>
    <br>
    <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35970" target="_blank">Go here for more info</A>.
    <br>
    Since this is a pre-alpha thingamajig, don't expect a lot in terms of gameplay or stability. In fact, I wouldn't recommend torturing yourself by downloading it at all, but I'm going to anyway.
    <br>
    <strong>NMA requests that other sites wait a couple of days before mirroring this file</strong>. However, since the 3DDownloads waiting queue seems to be around 20 minutes now, you may want to ask around on <A HREF="http://www.rpgcodex.com/main.php?id=irc">IRC</A> to see if anyone can hook you up.
    <br>
    <br>
    If you're in line waiting, here's some more Van Buren to depress you:
    <br>
    <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35934" target="_blank">Video</A> (low-res YouTube link is your best bet)</A>
    <br>
    <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35922" target="_blank">Screenies</A>
    <br>
    <br>
    Thanks <strong>Kotario</strong> and <strong>Brother None</strong> (formerly known as Kharn) for pointing this out.

^ Top  
  2. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    Yuck, so it is.

Sometimes I wish we weren't obligated to use that file server, but oh well...

^ Top  
  3. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Holy shit! I was going to mock you for posting that VB demo video 2 days late, but this is the actual demo!

18 minutes to go.

^ Top  
  4. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
    I hate you, Herve. I hope you get hit by a train, you monster.

^ Top  
  5. Calis Pensionado

Calis
    Since I'll be in town drinking beer, someone else will have to do the hooking-up on IRC, let's get this thing spread like wildfire. :D

^ Top  
  6. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Not when I'm in a "romantic" mood they don't.

^ Top  
  7. katzenjammer Novice

katzenjammer
    No kidding. I don't know about you folks, but I'm gonna cop a feel of this corpse.

^ Top  
  8. Surgey Scholar

Surgey
    So, is it legal to take this and make a full game from it?... like, unofficially?

^ Top  
  9. Jora Arcane

Jora
    The demo is very buggy and unfunctional but it has a great Fallout atmosphere. It would have been an awesome game.

^ Top  
  10. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    ^ Top  
  11. hiciacit Liturgist

hiciacit
    Would be great if a decent (mod) team could get their hands on the source code and assests, finish the game, and release it for free.

:( I can dream right?

^ Top  
  12. Globbi Augur

Globbi
    Would be cool but still it's illegal I think. Bethesda bought everything that was done for VB together with license. But maybe they would let someone use it as they don't use the engine nor anything else.

^ Top  
  13. Nedrah Erudite

Nedrah
    I'll not even touch that one.
    Playing the "good old games" gets me depressed enough, I don't need to play what could have been a real FO, thanks a lot.

^ Top  
  14. Thrym Novice

Thrym
    It seems cool, but the first thing that struck me was that corporal shouting about commies. What the fuck? One of the things about Fallout was that it didn't pick sides, I mean the enclave may have been sucky capitalists holding on to their blown apart country, but at least I didn't have to pretend throughout the whole game I was "fighting the capitalist pig" or some shit. So where the fuck were they going with this "My parents were commies who didn't pay attn to the siren and were bombed" theme? Cause that's not Fallout.

^ Top  
  15. Kotario Liturgist

Kotario

^ Top  
  16. Pegultagol Erudite

Pegultagol
    They should have released this on the date of Fallout 3 release.

^ Top  
  17. Thrym Novice

Thrym
    Ok, I rescind the piece about your parents being commies, but the point still holds that there was never a mention of a political demographic in either Fallout. The point being that you weren't already assigned a predisposition, such as it seems to be in this one where the main character seems to already have a reason to pick sides.

^ Top  
  18. Roqua Prospernaut Dumbfuck In My Safe Space

Roqua
    Wouldn't pre-apocolypse sides be irrelevant in a post-apocolypse game? Regardless, FO 1 and 2 were staged in the US, who else would have got us in the 50's? The hippies or the jews? It wasn't mentioned because it was so obvious. ANd neither FO 1 or 2 had any ingame pre-apocolypse game play. Once you add it in, you have to give it a little perspective.

^ Top  
  19. Thrym Novice

Thrym
    I never gave the matter a second thought in FO, because the assumption was the world was nuked, no one gave a damn anymore. Yeah, you've got a point about pre-apoc stuff, I didn't actually know that section was even a tutorial or a pre-apoc story bit when I played it. Still all I can say is I prefer the feel of a game that doesn't involve "commies vs. capitalists". Backstory is nice, but the appeal of the Fallout (to me at least) was that you were practically nameless. The first one pulled that off better obviously since you weren't the chosen one, but even that is less obnoxious than if Fallout 3 pits you against the "evil" - insert ideology -.

^ Top  
  20. Shoelip Arbiter

Shoelip
    Pay a little attention.

^ Top  
  21. Bloodlust Augur

Bloodlust
    Playing that tech demo brings back many nice memories and feelings.What a great game that would heve become! :(

Really buggy,in the true fallout way,though. :patriot: :salute:

I've played it 5 times and never managed to get inside the vault before the game crashed.

^ Top  
  22. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Surprisingly, it only crashed once so far. They also got the low-perspective "2D" isometric angle in the 3D engine right. Man, I wish Obsidian will one day get the chance to create a real Fallout. That's the best one can hope right now.

And fuck Bethesda!

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)