Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Wasteland 2 Project Update: Vision Document

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Zed, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Grim Monk Arcane

Grim Monk
    Original Wasteland Intro:
    Nope, nothing about meteors destroying satellites.
    Who/what did was left unexplained.

There was a bunch of fan speculation that Base Cochise AI was responsible, but it was never confirmed.

This recon seems rather lame, the element of mystery/not knowing is a powerful narrative hook.

To flat out tell us in the intro that it was all an accident, seems like a cop-out move.
    If you could not think of a way to integrate it into the story, its best to just let it stay a mystery...

^ Top  
  2. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    :mca:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Hm I could swear it did mention meteors and satellites... Guess I mixed it up...

^ Top  
  4. UnknownBro Savant

UnknownBro
    I think that the meteor shower explanation is pretty cool.
    Hey maybe in W3 we can see why there was a meteor shower in the first place... oh the possibilities!

^ Top  
  5. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Yeah, that "easter egg" about red planet Mars or something like that...

^ Top  
  6. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    There was a martian invasion in the paragraph book, but that was fake in case you read the paragraphs without the game asking you for it.
    I don't know anything about it being planned for the game.

^ Top  
  7. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Clowns aren't funny. They're scary as fuck.

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    I think I read somewhere they thought about implementing the idea (whether in a sequel or somewhere else I don't know), after seeing players react positively on it.

^ Top  
  9. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    the meteor shower explanation does not make sense, its illogical.

a meteor shower of that magnitude would be visible in the atmosphere and the motive of satellite failure would be obvious
    a better explanation would be a super solar flare, but than again, a such phenomenon would be detected days before the solar flare hits the Earth

^ Top  
  10. hiver Guest

hiver
    And brian fargo posted a...tweet, i think... asking how would that feel.
    But there wasnt much answers to it... although i tried to get it going. Because i would like it.

^ Top  
  11. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Wasteland 2
    With every other aspect of Wasteland being so logical and believable, this comes as a major disappointment. :roll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    I keep getting more and more hyped up for this. I'm only worried that this can only lead to disappointment in the end but I hope they can follow through with how awesome this sounds in the vision document.

^ Top  
  13. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Yeah man. And it's still a long way to go. Few years probably. :( But I'm sure it'll be worth it, because I practically only replay old games and have nothing to look forward to, except few kickstarter projects.

We should be able to get first screenshots soon, and I hope I won't be disappointed - note that I'm not a graphicswhore, but what I mean is that the style doesn't sit well with me. I want more on the realistic side, and don't like overly stylized or worse cartoony... :mad:

Hope I won't be dissapointed.

^ Top  
  14. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Oh man, please not that!! I'm also hoping for a more realistic look and would make a fairly safe bet that it will just based on the two concept art pieces of the rangers and the Scorpitron.

^ Top  
  15. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Yeah, isn't it weird and sad, that today, isometric games with "realistic" graphics are almost nonexistent? Like it's a plague or something, everybody must make it "stylized" and by that, most make it cartoony... Guess because the target audience now are 12 year olds. Fuck, I was a 12 year old, even younger, and I always preferred more realistic graphical approach. Guess the kids are dumbing down too. :decline::smug:

^ Top  
  16. PorkaMorka Arcane

PorkaMorka
    Weird and sad indeed. I don't understand it fully. I don't think it would be to appeal to kids. I remember when I was 12, I didn't want stupid cartoony looking graphics, I wanted everything to be "bad ass" and "cool" looking. I was older than 12 when Fallout 1 came out, but I'm sure that my 12 year old self would have loved the critical death animations.

My guess is that they realize that they can't really do the AAA level of realism/detail in a zoomed out isometric perspective. You can't include every eye lash and skin pore on a character that is only 2 inches high. But they probably feel like modern gamers would be turned off by less detailed graphics and that the reviewers would consider them unprofessional and knock off points.

So they reason that if they adopt a cartoony art style then can claim that the low detail of the graphics is intentional and people will be more forgiving. Personally, I'm perfectly happy with low detail isometrics, like in JA2, but I find that non-serious cartoony graphics are extremely harmful to the game's atmosphere/my immershun. Especially the low effort, completely non serious, intentionally incorrect proportions, caricature style of western cartoon art that is so popular in games now. Even anime is better than that.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    You should probably post this in W2 forums, in case they are considering "stylized" graphics. God I hope not... Now THIS is the style of graphics I would like to see:

http://www.stasisgame.com/screenshots/

adjusted for W2 needs... :incline:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. UnknownBro Savant

UnknownBro
    Nice realistic graphics in isometric perspective would be nice for a change but what I really crave for is a nice smooth UI, decent gameplay and the greatest turn based combat ever!!

And modding... lots and lots of modding friendliness.

:yeah:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Grim Monk Arcane

Grim Monk
    Actually, that guy did some :brodex: mock-ups of how he'd do Wasteland 2:
    http://www.stasisgame.com/wasteland-ideas/

They were posted a while back.
    :excellent:

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  20. majestik12 Arcane

majestik12
    "Import your own character portraits" is a shitty poor man's replacement for actual ingame portrait customization. Their attept to pass it off as some kind of neat roleplaying feature is total bullshit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Alex_Steel Arcane Patron

Alex_Steel
    And you know there will be no in-game portraits because...?

^ Top  
  22. visions Arcane

visions
    Eh, portraits, who gives a shit. Useful for telling party members apart but could be replaced with separate numbers for different party members for all I care.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. majestik12 Arcane

majestik12
    It's not about the portraits. There's nothing bad about letting people add content that you have no budget to produce, it is called "modders will fix it". Bullshitting people is wrong, though.

^ Top  
  24. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    I guess you hated dawn of war for letting people import their own custom badges and banners then

if the game was released and the portraits were taken from the avernum games you would have a strong point, but as it is you are doing as much interpretation here as you're accusing mr fargo of

^ Top  
  25. majestik12 Arcane

majestik12
    sgc_meltdown, the point is that one should not market useless non-features as valuable features. Whether the stock portraits will be good or whether there will be any at all is totally irrelevant to that point.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)