Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We. The Revolution - French guillotines aplenty!

It came out yesterday, anyone tried it out?

ready_1794.jpg

We. The Revolution is a unique game with a singular art style set in the blood-soaked and paranoid world of the French Revolution, where often you could not tell a friend from an enemy. As a judge of the Revolutionary Tribunal, you will have to trudge through this setting passing sentences, playing a dangerous political game, and doing everything in your power to not to be guillotined as an enemy of revolution. At the end of a day you will also confront your decisions with your family and very often they will see it differently.

ready_umrzec_w_deszczu.jpg

The plot of We. The Revolution will put you in morally ambiguous situations in which there are no obvious solutions, and the decisions you made are never unambiguous. The power over human life and death is a heavy burden, responsibility and strength that can affect the fate of the revolution. keep that in mind each time when passing sentence in the courtroom, while assigning tasks to your agents, giving speeches, and weaving political intrigue behind the scenes. Addressed chiefly to players who enjoy to settle moral dilemmas, make complex personal choices, and immerse themselves in the world of sophisticated political intrigue.

IN WE. THE REVOLUTION YOU WILL:

• Shape history and decide who will live and who will die.

GuillotineDownPopr.gif

• Experience the oppressive atmosphere of the French Revolution as you know it from classic novels of Alexandre Dumas and Joseph Conrad.

CrowdPopr.gif

• Preside dozen of unique and morally ambiguous court cases.

SignaturePopr.gif

• Confront your judgments with your family – your loved ones may often disa-gree with your decisions.

GuillotineUpPopr.gif

• Run your own courtroom – question witnesses, analyze clues and evidence, read reports, and pass sentences.

PoliticIntriguePopr.gif

• Make friends and enemies of different rival factions vying for power. Make them your associates or make them disappear!

Influential_friendsPopr.gif

• Engage in a mix of genres, blending case-building with intrigue-crafting and turn-based tactics.

ImmerseGameplayPopr.gif

• Discover the unusual visual style blending the simplicity of polygons with neoclassical art from the revolutionary era.

ProcessionPopr.gif

We. The Revolution is a symbolic story, loosely based on historical events from the time of the Great Revolution. Experience life in a time of revolutionary upheavals!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigranes

Arcane
Not a fan of the graphics and the gameplay is probably shallow, but I love the conceit.

Anyone trying it?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The fact that not only you juggle your political reputation, place in the revolution and so forth, but you also have to manage relationship with individual family members is novel.

But the game could just as well be a visual novel.

Hellion

Arcane
Bought the game yesterday and am really enjoying it. Fans of "Papers, Please" and "This Is The Police" will feel right at home with this one, since it essentially combines their "minimalistic comic book" artistic direction and dark plot themes with an expanded version of their "puzzle" elements, taking place during Robespierre's Reign of Terror in 1793-94 Paris. If the above games didn't really interest someone, they probably won't have fun with this either.

Essentially you are a Judge who has to balance reputations between 3 factions (Revolutionaries, Common Folk and Aristocrats) and your 4 family members while at the same time advancing your own agenda and going after people who want you removed from office or even dead. Theoretically it is even possible to play a fully royalist judge and go into alternate history, since you have the option to spare the king and Marie-Antoinette from the guillotine (angering 2 factions in the process, of course, but you could maneuver around that by ruling in their favor in other cases).

Right now I'm presiding over a case in which the People accuse an artisan of "advocating Royalist Propaganda" because he's "creating a product which depicts officials of the court, the king and queen are its most important figures, and features pieces that remind of the captured Bastille" (he creates Chess sets, in other words). The natural choice would be to acquit him, but doing so will anger the Commoners and increase my risk of death. This "absurdity" is characteristing of the game's general philosophy, and playing a straightforward honest judge will not necessary carry you too far along the way.

All in all it's a rather fair bargain at 20 euros on Steam (or 14-15 euros in key reseller sites).

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
Not as random as Reigns, it turns out.

I'm retracting some of my earlier praises after finishing it a few hours ago. It turns out that most of your choices during trials (all except for 2-3 plot-critical ones I think) don't really matter in the long run other than for placating the factions with whom you want to improve relations at any given moment, and the main plot is pretty straightforward and linear. The developers probably opted to polish the "canonical" storyline they had in mind rather than give the players more freedom and open up the possibilities a bit more. I think I even imprisoned King Louie instead of executing him because I could spare the reputation penalties at the time, and the game never even referenced my decision, everything proceeded as if I had executed him because that's the default narrative the developers had in mind.

It is still worth it for one playthrough I guess, but after that the replay value is practically nonexistent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom