Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What kind of Fag are you? The definitive poll!

What Fag are you?

• Storyfag: I just want to read (listen) to the game story. Combat is just a speed bump to the next th

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Combatfag: Give me encounter design, combat mechanics and technical gameplay. Maybe a reason for doi

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Omnifag: I swing both ways sailor, just give it to me.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Otherfag: Will respond in thread.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Xor said:
Omnifag, probably leaning toward storyfag. I enjoy playing RPGs for their stories and dialog, but I also usually enjoy the combat and character advancement.
:salute:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Priorities:
Combatfag (more accurately "gameplayfag"), charactersystemfag, explorationfag, ....and somewhere behind that settingfag...and even further behind story- I might even be a storyhetero :oops:

Darth, the codex changes. We need polls to keep track.

Poll lacks 2010/2011-fag option, OP is a Mr.Bean-fag.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I enjoy story, combat, exploration, choice and consequence if it's there, etc. Really, I can get behind any aspect of an RPG (and most games aside from a few genres) unless the game is just boring, stupid, banal, etc. Every title has its strong points, and I try to find them while more or less overlooking the weaknesses (but not forgetting about/ignoring them), unless those weaknesses really make playing the game miserable.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Awor Szurkrarz said:
No, I want mechanics for all that stuff. Oh and I forgot about two things - Turnbasedfag, Isometricfag.

Hey - n+1(fag) is unfair. Poll was about finite amount of fag's...

MCA
For me, Quest design > combat & RP mechanics > general style and elan (which also includes writing and story).

Alexandros said:
Storyfag, without a doubt. I can overlook flaws in game design or poor production values if the story piques my interest.

But Alpha Protocol's story was also poor.

laclongquan said:
I can do JA2 lots of time, but not Mount and Blade.

That's because M&B is utter shit :smug:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm a qualityfag. If it's an RPG -- I don't care what kind -- as long as it's a well-made, intelligent product then I'll love it.

But if I had to choose one of the poll options I'd say my true love lies with combat, but it has to be tactical, not popamole.

Edit: lol, that sounds funny. I'm a quality fag. lol

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
villain of the story said:
But Alpha Protocol's story was also poor.
It was, but at least it had good dialogue and pretty decently fleshed out characters, plus it did choice and consequence well in the context of a predetermined story and protagonist. I definitely enjoyed Alpha Protocol even if the gameplay was pretty bad and the story was a mess, just for the quality of some of the characters and voice-acting (Marburg in particular, best game villain in a long while).

Which begs the question, is storyfag the same as characterfag? Most BioWare games have decent/good/likeable characters but terrible stories, I'd be willing to say that's their entire appeal right there.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Freedomfag.
22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

Karmapowered

Augur
- Storyfag : what can I say, all the Classics ™ spoiled me
- ChessMaster : I expect gameplay, including combat, to be more challenging than a trivial rock - paper - scissor
- Graphicwhore : a secret datAss! worshipper too

In that order.

MCA
sea said:
Which begs the question, is storyfag the same as characterfag? Most BioWare games have decent/good/likeable characters but terrible stories, I'd be willing to say that's their entire appeal right there.

I round the bunch of them up in my general style and elan category. But I must protest: characters, in BioWare games? LOL.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Crispy said:
I'm a qualityfag. If it's an RPG -- I don't care what kind -- as long as it's a well-made, intelligent product then I'll love it.

But if I had to choose one of the poll options I'd say my true love lies with combat, but it has to be tactical, not popamole.

Edit: lol, that sounds funny. I'm a quality fag. lol
:lol:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Black said:
Omnifag but mostly gameplayfag. Note: gameplay =! combat.
This.

Doubly moreso if one of the components of gameplay is exploration.

Also a 2010-11fag, just for Shannow ;)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Omnifag. Give me one of both, or preferably both in the same package. I just like having threesomes with my RPG features. :smug:

Canus

Savant
Immersionfag/Omnifag.

I'll forgive a game horrible, terrible things if it has the right kind of immersion.
Stalker got away with it's terrible bugs and near total lack of story. Metro 2033 got away with...well everything that wasn't immersion.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Combatfag. I appreciate a decent story and I like exploration and other elements, but if I find the combat to be shitty or boring, it usually drags everything down for me. It's a big reason I don't appreciate titles like PST but also don't (usually) have the same hatred for a million and one trash battles like in DAO (though Drakensang's trash battles almost sent me over the edge... ugh).

Turjan

Arcane
I guess, for me it's exploration > story > combat. Although, exploration without anything interesting to find is dull, so I chose storyfag. Interesting combat is a plus, but I'm not too concerned if combat is not too involved. If combat is dull, I just hope it's quick. Games like Wizardry 8 are too much on the combat-side for me and bore me with their constant combat.

Explorefag. I can deal with "The princess has been kidnapped by dragons. Are you a bad enough unlucky everyman to rescue her?" story if I feel compelled to visit more places. I'd say combatfag but frequent fights annoy me.

Exmit

Scholar
Great combat + great story = RPG of the decade*

*see fallout 1 and BG 2

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I enjoy combat and story with emphasis on the story, but it's the overall gameplay that makes me like a game. If the gameplay feels right to me then the combat and the story can suck and I'll still play the game and enjoy it.

Example: Fallout: New Vegas. Asstastic combat and a not so compelling story still didn't stop me from beating the game 3 times back to back. There's more to an RPG than combat and story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom