Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What kind of Fag are you? The definitive poll!

What Fag are you?

• Storyfag: I just want to read (listen) to the game story. Combat is just a speed bump to the next th

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Combatfag: Give me encounter design, combat mechanics and technical gameplay. Maybe a reason for doi

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Omnifag: I swing both ways sailor, just give it to me.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Otherfag: Will respond in thread.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Probably an omnifag, but I don't know any more. When it comes to RPGs from the Windows 95 era onward, some of them offer great promises in terms of game features - complex character systems, tactical combat, good story, nonlinearity, choices affecting the reactive game world, but very few on them deliver even on a single front, almost none delivers accross multiple fronts, and the way they deliver is limited.

The reason that Planescape: Torment is my favorite game is that it really shone in terms of the interactive storytelling, where other gameplay elements, though mediocre, didn't detract from the story and even adding to it (e.g. combat, which was mediocre, added a layer of interactivity and wasn't annoying since the encounters were more or less brief and easy). But, unless the game has the level of writing and attention to detail of the setting at least close to Torment, it cannot be good (though some short-term enjoynment can sometimes be derived, depending on the case), unless character development and combat are satisfying. Most story-based RPGs fail to deliver a good story, and other elements in them are usually badly implemented.

On the other extreme there is Jagged Alliance 2, which perfected tactical combat. There is not much of a story there but what little story and dialogue there is only adds to the experience of the game. We need to be realistic and admit that no RPG represents a real significant challenge to a player from a tactical standpoint (cheating doesn't apply, as forced difficulty doesn't equal interesting challenge), but JA 2 comes close. Most of other RPGs where combat is the most important factor fail to provide adequate challenge to be interesting.

Then you have Fallout, which is jack of all trades. It has all the mentioned elements done at least well, but not much more than that. Fallout is a blueprint of what RPGs should be like and what elements they should contain. It is like a prototype that should be expanded upon. But, when a game tries to expand on that prototype, it usually fails at implementing (not necessarily challenging, but at least interesting) combat.

I think that RPGs should contain the same checklist of RPG elements Fallout does, that games like PS:T are a thing of inspiration and developers shouldn't actively pursue developing them and I think that every RPG should copy JA2 combat system and weapon system (if applicable), while expanding on the character system and the story.

But, the sad truth is, most RPGs suck at all elements, so these days I play strategy games, like Hearts of Iron III.

Blasterhead

Educated
omnifag with a strong leaning towards combatfag (and closet artdirectionfag)

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Combatfag with storyfag tendencies. I can play a game with great combat and an awful/unimportant/generic story (Knights of the Chalice), but I have a hard time playing a game with a great story and awful combat (Arcanum).

But I'm not the kind of fag that just skips through important dialogue to get to more fightan. I still enjoy a good story. If the combat was rare or unimportant, I think I'd be able to put up with a game with an Arcanumism-ratio of combat/story quality.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Oldfag i.e. this:

might__magic_iii_profilelarge.jpg

Kasten_Geschichte_Schicksalsklinge.jpg

NOT his:

dragonage.jpg

TheWitcher2AssassinsofKings.jpg

Multi-headed Cow

I'm MOSTLY a combatfag. I was tempted by omnifag, but bad combat really makes me flaccid. Partly why I have such a miserable time with PST and Arcanum. I can enjoy the story and dialog, but holy fuck do I resent playing them.

quasimodo

Augur
TB combat fag. PST is the only game I can half way forgive for not having it.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
hey blackadder, love to reply:

i enjoy the story and the combat part i wish to be over as soon as possible.. like in the baldur gates i tried to use exploits to win quick like shooting arrows from outside of enemy view/range.

torment is my fav game i think, combat was not that important.

i do not like adventures thought, because i do not like puzzles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom