Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Why no gay sex in The Witcher? @ Feministing

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It's just typical PC bullshit where you think of everything to prevent some people feel discriminated. So you should be able to play the gender of your choice, sleep with people of either sex but only after you took time to discover each other's inner self in a long, dull and flowy romance.

She's right, The Witcher's sexual encounters were badly designed, and certainly it would have been better with pics of naked Leuvaarden standing in a provocative pose.

Actually, since Geralt is the long-haired pansy he is, there should be man-on-man rape in the next Witcher game. "Haha, let's test if witchers REALLY are immune to diseases, 'cuz I have lots of them!"

cutterjohn

Cipher
Geralt's not a faggot. Problem solved.

Also, as far as the only book in english available to me the sexual encounters are COMPLETELY in character...

(Damn! Don't you just HATE it when a company uses an existing IP and remains pretty much completely faithful to it?)

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
"Though I guess the stupid cheesiness of "collecting" always willing attractive women sort of fits the corny B-movie vibe the Witcher has going."

No. The Witcher does not have a cheesy B-movie vibe.

DefJam101

Arcane
Geralt just has an absolutely terrible taste in women, is all.

Read the book and you'll understand exactly what I mean.

Longshanks

Augur
Right, let's deny male wish fulfillment (whether The Witcher is about this or not), but the massive romance novel and movie industry for women is perfectly fine. There's no significant difference I can see, other than relative levels in different media, and the whining from over-wrought "feminists".

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Right, but the Witcher is supposed to be a gritty, realistic fantasy game. It's unrealistic for every woman to want to sleep with Geralt.

Rejection happens. Choices and consequences motherfuckers.

bhlaab

Erudite
Isn't this the same idiot that raged on Fat Princess a couple months back? What a piece of shit stuck to the side of the bowels of the blogosphere

Murk

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
Right, but the Witcher is supposed to be a gritty, realistic fantasy game. It's unrealistic for every woman to want to sleep with Geralt.

Rejection happens. Choices and consequences motherfuckers.

rejection does happen in game - one of the barmaids that flirted with me, when i offered to "find a bed in the back" said she couldn't and that her husband would kill her for it

GASP

kris

Arcane
Prunesquallor said:
Mouahahahahaha! I think the editorial was quite clever and very funny (if sometimes unintentionally so). Though I guess the stupid cheesiness of "collecting" always willing attractive women sort of fits the corny B-movie vibe the Witcher has going.

If you think this one was clever then I am really worried about you. It was just really really stupid, I rate it as even more stupid than a sex card.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I notice this newspost doesn't have a 'spotted at' line. Admit it DU, Feministing is your blog, isn't it?
Your secret's out.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
aries202 said:
I think the non-gamer's commentaries overlook the important thing here: you do not have the have sex with each and every women you meet. You can just say 'no' to the women. The interesting here to me is that it of often are the women who will invite Geralt to sex, not the other way around.

WTF?!?! said:
The "optional" defense seems to me to be a farce. If nothing else, it excludes anti-sexists and non-juveniles from participating in all aspects of the game.

kurwadżizusjapierdolę

Also you can't fuck monsters with a barbwire cock - what a slap in the face to all the people who'd like to fuck monsters with a barbwire cock.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
bozia2012 said:
WTF?!?! said:
The "optional" defense seems to me to be a farce. If nothing else, it excludes anti-sexists and non-juveniles from participating in all aspects of the game.

kurwadżizusjapierdolę

This.

Also, I would be first to say that most of the sex-related content in the Witcher comes across as juvenile to the core. Apart from the romance with Shani and Triss (and maybe some earlier interaction with those two women) we get some "pokemon-like gotta screw them all" mini-game seemingly designed to attract the mentally challenged.

What the the Witcher lacks are the consequence of you behaving like a man-whore. I mean you have so many meaningful choices but the devs simply forgot that no sane woman would build a stable relationship with a guy who doesn't mind putting his cock in every willing hole. What the hell?! There is no gossip in the game-world? Couldn't Triss use magic to check how honest Geralt really is. :evil:

All it comes down to is that if a player behaves like a retard he should be punished for it accordingly. “Wow, you have many sex cards, man. Too bad there's no romance for you, sucker! Have a nice fucking day!” :twisted:

The bad sex-implementation annoys me most, as it totally goes against the convention adopted in the books. In the novels, although Geralt has some sex from time to time, all of it is put in the context, in a way fleshing out the character’s personality, making you feel the magnitude of his personal tragedy.

Minor book spoiler ahead!

(I’ve read some comments that Berengar’s going emo about his infertility and everyone treating him like a freak is unbelivable for some players. This motif is mirrored from the books in which Geralt strikes as inherently conflicted character without making himself look pathetic)

End of spoiler

In the novels sex is used as a meaningful device. Hammering (almost) every woman Geralt meets in the game serves no purpose. Having sex with men for the sake of having sex with men would be even worse. It would damage much of credibility of the world, for which I, on the whole, like the Witcher despite it being already severly crippled by disastrous implementation of eroticism. :(

Also: Hi everyone!
:D

Edit: Damn all those spelling mistakes :oops:

Ausir

Arcane
What the the Witcher lacks are the consequence of you behaving like a man-whore. I mean you have so many meaningful choices but the devs simply forgot that no sane woman would build a stable relationship with a guy who doesn't mind putting his cock in every willing hole. What the hell?! There is no gossip in the game-world? Couldn't Triss use magic to check how honest Geralt really is.

Sorceresses (and sorcerers for that matter) are just as promiscuous as witchers.

Turok

Erudite
Mrowak said:
bozia2012 said:
WTF?!?! said:

kurwadżizusjapierdolę
What the the Witcher lacks are the consequence of you behaving like a man-whore. I mean you have so many meaningful choices but the devs simply forgot that no sane woman would build a stable relationship with a guy who doesn't mind putting his cock in every willing hole. What the hell?! There is no gossip in the game-world? Couldn't Triss use magic to check how honest Geralt really is. :evil:

In the novels the girls that practice MAGIC are all STERILE!!! they are worst than geralt belive me, they use magic to look beutifull, there is even one magician that dont have part of the mandibula and use magic to make it look good.

Mrowak

Arcane
Ausir said:
Sorceresses (and sorcerers for that matter) are just as promiscuous as witchers.

True, but not to the degree Geralt is, in the game.
And I doubt they have sex with every peasant just to get a hawt card.

denizsi

Arcane
- I saw a feminist yesterday.
- Horrible creatures. I avoid them whenever I can.

That's just wrong, and a terrible waste of "resources". You gotta distinguish the ugly feminists (mostly militant bitches with repressed sexuality, most probably because they are ugly, and stupid, or stupid and ugly) from beautiful feminists (non-militant, but still stupid, easy to sway and confuse). To make a feminist turn all submissive and then shove her feminism in her... face, is one of the experiences to live for.

Rhalle

Magister
Witcher indulges in Letters to Penthouse sort of stuff, but the monogamous relationship and foster-father plot/s come off all the more real because of the balance it provides.

In fact, I'd argue that because the game mocks and accepts both equally is the major reason The Witcher succeeds as a whole. On one level it is adolescent fantasy; but it's something more as well.

Oh, and just let me say that it is fucking awesome that The Witcher is unabashedly male-made and male-oriented. There's no frou-frou Days of Our Lives mush or PC sexual politics, which is something you can't say about any other major RPG developer.

'We want gay Witcher stories'.

Where do you begin with that kind of bullshit?

Jaime Lannister said:
The Witcher does not have a cheesy B-movie vibe.

You are right. Instead it has an Awfully Bad Literature vibe. I guess it is intentional, considering the source material.

Suchy

Arcane
How_Feminists_Look.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane
The Rambling Sage said:
Jaime Lannister said:
The Witcher does not have a cheesy B-movie vibe.

You are right. Instead it has an Awfully Bad Literature vibe. I guess it is intentional, considering the source material.

Well, I guess that English translation must be bad (have to read it myself one of these days), which is a pity: the Polish original is considered by many a masterpiece. It was to be expected as the language used by Sapkowski is very specific; full of borrowings, neologisms, idiomatic expressions, some carrying multiple meanings in specific contexts (some very culture specific e.g. referring to Eastern European folklore or some historic events). Thus, his style very difficult to capture accurately.

Let me only say that if done poorly, translation may ruin completely your experience with a book, (or game for that matter; Yes Witcher; I'm looking at you!). I have yet to see what's so amazing in George R.R. Martin's novels :(

And no, neither Witcher the game, nor the books suffer from Awfully Bad Literature vibe. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom