Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will you be purchasing TES V: Skyrim?

Will you be purchasing Skyrim?

• Yes; in fact I have it pre-ordered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I will pick it up at release

• Yes, I'll eventually buy it, but no rush

• No, I have no interest in it at all

• No, but I will be sailing the Seven Seas to pillage its booty yargh!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
iluvatar said:
Surf Solar said:
Yes, how dare I expected a game just like the original games from a new title with the same name...
The series has always had a heavy emphasis on first-person action. Arena and Daggerfall were dungeon crawlers for the most part.

Didn't we talk about Fallout and New Vegas a couple of posts back? :?

iluvatar

Novice
Surf Solar said:
iluvatar said:
Surf Solar said:
Yes, how dare I expected a game just like the original games from a new title with the same name...
The series has always had a heavy emphasis on first-person action. Arena and Daggerfall were dungeon crawlers for the most part.

Didn't we talk about Fallout and New Vegas a couple of posts back? :?
What does Fallout have to do with TES? :/

Though I can fully understand why Fallout fans might hate Fallout 3.

hoopy

Savant
JarlFrank said:
hoopy said:
Even if you don't factor in shipping costs, I would have saved only 15 euros. Not worth the hassle.

I just buy everything on Steam now, and I rarely buy full priced games anyway.

The fuck.

Why would anyone buy a digital version of a game that costs more when he could have a physical copy that costs less? :retarded:
I didn't come to a decision until yesterday, and the price difference wasn't great enough to justify shipping the game from the UK.

Whether or not Skyrim will turn out to be the game of the century, Bethesda at least doesn't fuck around with pre-order and retailer exclusive items, and despite their love affair with consoles they're still supporting modding. I was originally going to buy Saints Row 3, but then it turned out they're going to sell the game piece by piece, with some pieces not even available to everyone.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Never played Oblivion, not gonna play this.

Might plunder it if enough good remarks come out of the 'dex like with New Vegas.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, if previously well-regarded people say that the shit is actually not shit, and you don't have a cause to believe they have been paid or went insane, what you think is shit might not actually be shit.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
On another forum I've seen consoletards complaining that there is not a ligh bulb over the heads of quest giving NPCs, so they need to talk to all of them. And there is whining that the NPCs don't stand still, so the consoletard must think and make an effort to find them.

So obviosuly Skyrim is not as dumbed down as it could have been.
Generally it seems dumbed down compared to Oblivion (at least when it comes to character development - not much RPG mechanics left), but it does not seem to suffer from any critical design flaws - like Oblivion's level scaling.

Majestic47

Learned
waiting for xmas discount. i want it. definitely, yes. but not really starved for games...

Rhalle

Magister
funkadelik said:
HanoverF said:
GOTY (lulz) DLC version, maybe depending on what the Kodex Konsensus is.

The 6Gb hard drive space is making me worry that there will be 10 or so DLCs before we get the full game.

I hope PC gets some high-res textures, and fast. You could be right, but 6GB is perhaps just represents the limitations of a single DVD.

I wonder if Todd Howard's statement the other day-- that Skyrim will have "substantial" DLCs-- means that we will see FO:NV-like expansion packs.

A string of Skyrim module-expansions made by Obsidian with Avellone and Cain? Yes, please.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
IDK realy how much DLC there will be and if its bugged on xbox :M First i'll wait for review, from the looks of it CANNOT be worse than oblivion or fallout 3. If there will be a lot of DLC i'll wait for GOTY but i want to play it on release at same time. :M I don't realy care about pc version right now because my old pc sux.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So yeah. I found a TPB version for xbawkz. Gave it a spin since it's not like my console will be tainted further. It's... Actually not as bad as I feared. By no means good, but I might pick it up in the bargain bin in 10 months or so and see if modders have fixed it.

Am half tempted to get it on peecee and become a KKKodex martyr by LPing it. It can't be as bad as derp age 2.

More entertaining than Twitcher 2 :troll:

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
My friend is playing it as I type. His wife bought it for him, he hasnt made any complaints yet.

00:21 - Me: how goes it?
00:22 - F: its alright
00:23 - F: not amazing but lright
00:41 - F: voice acting is better, the nords sounds like sweeds
00:55 - M: swedish chef? Hurgendurgendurgeh doobeydoobeboon boon
00:55 - F: pretty much very hurgen vergen
00:55 - F: not at all what i expected
00:56 - F: also the imperials look roman, very roman armor ect

Ill have to get him to take random screens for me. I wont begrudge him if he likes it, he loved Morrowind but was somewhat ambivalent about Oblibion.

Hes been playing for over an hour now and I just thought to ask for screenshots to lump in here.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Hrm. So my dad uses steam too (mostly for WW2 games). He called me about an hour ago. Our conversation was like:
"Son, you like dem arr-pee-gees, right?"
"Um, yes. Why?"
"Check your mail, there shoul dbe a steam key coming your way!"
*clickity*
"Oh... Skyrim?"
"Yeah, it's been getting rave reviews everywhere and I thought you might like an early christmas present!"

Well, guess I can't fault him. He's not a KKKodexian (and doesn't touch games that aren't RTS'es or sims) so I'm fairly certain it was intended to be a nice gesture.

Preloading now!

:bro::yeah:

Majestic impressions will follow after it's released in ~8 hrs

Deleted member 7219

Ulminati said:
Hrm. So my dad uses steam too (mostly for WW2 games). He called me about an hour ago. Our conversation was like:
"Son, you like dem arr-pee-gees, right?"
"Um, yes. Why?"
"Check your mail, there shoul dbe a steam key coming your way!"
*clickity*
"Oh... Skyrim?"
"Yeah, it's been getting rave reviews everywhere and I thought you might like an early christmas present!"

Well, guess I can't fault him. He's not a KKKodexian (and doesn't touch games that aren't RTS'es or sims) so I'm fairly certain it was intended to be a nice gesture.

Preloading now!

:bro::yeah:

Majestic impressions will follow after it's released in ~8 hrs

Your dad sounds like a true bro.

funkadelik

Arcane
Rhalle said:
I hope PC gets some high-res textures, and fast. You could be right, but 6GB is perhaps just represents the limitations of a single DVD.

I wonder if Todd Howard's statement the other day-- that Skyrim will have "substantial" DLCs-- means that we will see FO:NV-like expansion packs.

A string of Skyrim module-expansions made by Obsidian with Avellone and Cain? Yes, please.

If that is the case, I will play mods and get the DLC when steam has them on sale for $5 or less.

pocahaunted

Arcane
What's wrong steamfags, isn't it awesome to have to wait when filthy pirates get to play your beloved game?

Nah, this shit won't work. Nobody should care about this game.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
baronjohn said:
I am "purchasing" it right now. I'll probably do a blind LP immediately.

It unlocked on steam about 3 hours ago here in Aus. so I've put a couple of hours into it so far.

The world design seems vastly improved over Oblivion and FO3 - makes you want to explore. Much less cut'n'paste - I'm told that every one of the 150+ dungeons are hand crafted this time... we shall see. Standing on top of a peak and looking in all directions and wondering what's over that ridge, or down in that valley, or at the end of that stream is pretty awe inspiring really.

Characters are a bit more natural though still a bit uncanny valley-ish.

Melee combat is much the same as Oblivion (i.e. shit). Well... perhaps a little better, but still too floaty - you're never sure weather you're actually making contact. Guess I've been spoiled by Dark Souls here - fuck, Skyrim with DS combat would be pretty awesome!

No evidence of level scaling. I fought three bandits right out of the starter dungeon - a tough fight but I won. Then stumbled upon a necromancer in the woods performing some weird ritual, who promptly summoned some ghost wolves which tore me to shreds in an instant.

That's all for now... off to follow that stream to it's source.... ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom