Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WoD meets EVE

Black

Arcane
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/27/w...hanging-out-in-bars-could-be-a-powerful-play/

World of Darkness is taking tired MMO convention and slicing its throat. Then it’s smearing the result all over a single server universe where the fight for political influence is just as important as the literal battle for blood. Get enough power and you can kill off someone’s character, permanently.

As Reynir pointed out to a relieved crowd at last week’s fanfest: CCP are “not making Twilight.”

Reynir Hardarson: Politics are taken to a new level in this game, especially as we have positions with actual powers. This is the way the old Vampire the Masquerade game has been run – we have princes and you have harpies and you have positions in the evil hierarchy. In this game we give power to the players. There’s no NPC who is the artificial prince of the city – players set the rules and they have the positions and that’s really – that’s where the politics come in.
TOR/MoP killer?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Probably not. It's a different type of game, doesn't attract the same crowd.

If want a TOR killer, it's Guild Wars 2. A large amount of TOR players are treating the game as just a quick stop MMO until GW2 comes out, expect TOR numbers to drop a lot when it launches.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Get enough power and you can kill off someone’s character, permanently.
Great idea, but insanely hard to balance. It would be a fantastic achievment if they manage to naturally make players create the game's factions, with people going into clan A or B for protection & power, good players ascending the ranks, and neutral people trying theis best to stay "under the radar". Glorious incline if they pull this right.

Black

Arcane
That wasn't a serious question, since no one cares about TOR/MoP, jesus, Excidium.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I know. :lol:

Great idea, but insanely hard to balance. It would be a fantastic achievment if they manage to naturally make players create the game's factions, with people going into clan A or B for protection & power, good players ascending the ranks, and neutral people trying theis best to stay "under the radar". Glorious incline if they pull this right.
Yeah, but if there's somebody that can pull this off is certainly this company, because EvE seems to have exactly that sort of enviroment.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Because of how this is a lot more relatable than clone people in spaceships I can see many people getting addicted to this. For one you are in a real world analog and you can easily forget you are spreadsheeting and be a kreature of the nyght with your bros in cities and shit

It would be hard for the guys at the top to tear themselves away from all that tangible power, imagine assigning twitch kiddies to beatdown squads for example and smarter people to administrative and diplomacy work

and those people at the bottom see this shit being wielded over them and perhaps even have to larp respect or get killed, this is way, way more motivation than seeing a high level player in another mmo and his bigger numbers.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Or it can end up in a state where a significant portion of the game is an essentially private "Old Boys Club" where no newbs after the first year are allowed unless they are IRL friends with some head honchos.

Esquilax

Arcane
Or it can end up in a state where a significant portion of the game is an essentially private "Old Boys Club" where no newbs after the first year are allowed unless they are IRL friends with some head honchos.

So basically, just like the World of Darkness. Newbs are merely chess pieces to be used by elders who have existed centuries before them.

Vaarna_Aarne

So basically, just like the World of Darkness. Newbs are merely chess pieces to be used by elders who have existed centuries before them.
Bad part is that this isn't likely to make for a good MMO experience for anyone except those on the top.

Esquilax

Arcane
Bad part is that this isn't likely to make for a good MMO experience for anyone except those on the top.

I meant it as a joke, but yes, it would certainly be a difficult thing to balance given the nature of the setting.

Vaarna_Aarne

As far as I know, it's ultimately a big problem with EVE too, with the game feeling very unrewarding to anyone who hasn't been there from the start after a certain early point.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
As far as I know, it's ultimately a big problem with EVE too, with the game feeling very unrewarding to anyone who hasn't been there from the start after a certain early point.
But EXTREMELY rewarding to those that were. You could say it's the best endgame ever made, a constant struggle to maintain your power against other human guilds and clans, not a single day or battle is the same as the other.

Esquilax

Arcane
Just stop already, I don't want to get hyped for a game that isn't coming out any soon.

Yeah, until that day comes, I'm more than content with endless pages of scheming on the Codex to guide Anthony Sommers' rise to the power to become Prince of London.

Vaarna_Aarne

But EXTREMELY rewarding to those that were. You could say it's the best endgame ever made, a constant struggle to maintain your power against other human guilds and clans, not a single day or battle is the same as the other.
I don't think exclusivity is a good trait.

Black

Arcane

I'll remind you that the next time I see you complain about multiplats.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'll remind you that the next time I see you complain about multiplats.
:hero:

Destroid

Arcane

Doesn't happen in Eve, everyone always wants more manpower and are typically very friendly to noobs. Or at least, that's how it was years ago when I played.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

Doesn't happen in Eve, everyone always wants more manpower and are typically very friendly to noobs. Or at least, that's how it was years ago when I played.
"You, promising young vampire that defeated X and collected Y, join my clan....or suffer the consequences." Very RPG-ish, no? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom