Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Xenonauts 2

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Tzaero, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    That's one of things I'd improve upon, if I was making an X-Com game. Are you selling your products on the black market? Who are the buyers? What are the consequences for selling alien tech? Will not-X-Com get caught by the nations of the world if you sell too much? What happens when they do find out?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    One of the things I liked about Xenonauts is how they kept the inventory selling thing like in the original, but they designed it so that you don't break the economy.
    They even added some of that flavor in the tactical battles, with local military and law enforcement wielding laser weapons.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    New KS update, #17.

sser they're looking for a freelance writer

^ Top  
  4. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Actually we do like selling - as in, selling actual alien technology and such, not generic "profitable goods".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    Thanks I'll take a look!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Steam page:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Is it march early access or is it until march early access?

That's not "yes no question", sheep.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    • Yes x 3
    • No x 2
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. geno Educated

geno
    Februay update:
    Show Spoiler

As February has come and gone, I think I owe everyone an update on our progress. Lots to discuss, but first I should mention that anyone that wants to stay informed about our progress and hear about the launch of the game can either sign up for our mailing list or wishlist us on Steam / GOG:

Early Access Launch & Beta Build V3:
    We're planning to release another build in just over a week, on Tuesday 12th March, although this may slip if we encounter serious bugs when testing the build next week. This will be Closed Beta V3, the first build where we've actually started to consider the gameplay experience rather than just purely stability and functionality. The game hasn't magically transformed into something different overnight, but we've implemented some cool new features and we'll be starting discussing some of the bigger mechanical changes with the community when it releases.

I should also mention that our Early Access launch was due to happen at the end of this month, but unfortunately this is likely to be delayed by several months. We're hoping that this won't inconvenience our backers too much though - the remaining Kickstarter keys will be sent out at the end of this month as promised, and we're looking into alternative ways people who missed the Kickstarter can buy into the beta and still receive a Steam / GOG key when we launch into Early Access further down the line. I notice Phoenix Point are using Xsolla to run their beta but still grant a Steam/GOG key on release, so perhaps we can do something similar...

The reason for this is simple - we don't think the game is polished enough or has enough content for an Early Access launch. Any negative reviews we receive now will last forever and potentially reduce sales for the entire lifetime of the game, and as our finances are still relatively solid there's not really any need for us to risk it happening to us.

Features & Improvements:
    There's actually a lot of new stuff coming in Build V3 - we're adding new maps and mission types, bringing the Sebillians in, updating the base structure mechanics, finishing off the soldier generation / hiring code, adding "strategic operations" to the Geoscape, and more.

Our new design assistant has spent the last month working on the maps, and we're hoping to add the first Alien Base and Terror missions into V3 along with a lot more UFO crash site variants for each biome. All of this will require additional polishing in the future (e.g. the Alien Base maps have some weird fog of war interactions, and it's pretty obvious we need some wall-hiding functionality to make navigation easier) but I'm pleased with the progress we're making in this area.

We've also added two types of Sebillians to the game. People who have been here a while may remember the big bulky Sebillians that appeared in the free builds over a year ago; those guys are now called Sebillian Brutes. They are now accompanied by the old Sebillians from the first game (now called Sebillian Warriors). I've not really balanced the stats yet, but idea is to add a bit more variety to the race - the Warriors are a bit less resilient than they were in X1 but are better shots at range, whereas the Brutes have a LOT of health and carry heavy weapons or melee weapons.

The Main Base has also been updated to support a grid-based construction method that allows structures of different dimensions rather than having several "slots" of predefined size which you could place any building into. This sounds like quite a small change on paper, but given buildings now come in different sizes in practice the base feels a lot more freeform and complex compared to how it did in previous builds. We're still updating the art to match the new style and there's a few mechanics I'd still like to experiment with, but this topic is something we'll cover in more detail once V3 comes out.

The soldier generation updates represent us finishing the work required to move the game over from only allowing the hiring of specific soldiers to being able to generate unlimited numbers of soldiers with the appropriate nationalities, genders, names, ethnicities and portraits. The soldier generation system in X1 was actually a very complex beast but we've pretty much finished recreating it; in practice that means the soldier hire pool now refreshes with each funding report and you get to see the stats of your soldiers before you hire them like you could in the original game.

The final feature I'm going to talk about are Strategic Operations, which are still experimental right now. They've gone through several iterations in the past and are the current incarnation of the "Geoscape Agent" system; the idea that you can send your soldiers out to interact with the local regions to improve your strategic situation. They exist as points of interest on the Geoscape that you can send soldiers to, and after a certain period of time those soldiers will complete the Strategic Operation and claim the rewards. Although the operations only take a few days to complete, the travel time is counted from the closest Geoscape airbase - so if you've got no bases anywhere near South America, it'll take you a long time to reach and complete a strategic operation in Brazil.

At the moment we're only using these for positive effects (e.g. they're how you recruit Scientists / Engineers), but I'd like to incorporate some of the alien activity into this system too. For example - certain alien missions might spawn "Infiltrators" on the Geoscape, which would be Strategic Operations that reduce your relations with the local region. Sending a team to go and complete the Infiltrators mission (i.e. neutralize the infiltrators) would remove it from the Geoscape, but obviously deprives you of those soldiers for a certain amount of time. The idea is just to make the Geoscape less empty between waves of alien activity; you'll have some small teams of soldiers moving around the world gathering resources or cleaning up after the aliens. I'll be creating a thread to discuss this mechanic when V3 comes out too.

There's actually a lot more to talk about, but this post is already getting very long so I'll just cut it off here. Progress is good, the next build isn't far away, and I'll be asking your opinions on several big topics soon! [​IMG]

Some interesting points, like the changes on base building or the new stuff for Geoscape.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. SenisterDenister Novice

SenisterDenister
    Been playing the beta, myself. Seems promising. I'm not entirely a fan of having only one base of operations and production, but at least having numerous airbases around the world can assuage these feelings. In X-COM I always liked having a secondary base made solely for the purpose of churning out weaponry and armor, and I did the same in Xenonauts. The combat is better than the first xenonauts, as well. They took some lessons from X1 and even nu-COM like having roots and things to be used to climb up on higher planes. Just switching to a 3D engine seems like the best move. Looking forward to further progress.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    "Profitable Goods" is a bad idea.

Such label usually go with entrepreneurial organization, not military ones. Military orgs only have surplus things they can sells.
    And in xcom-like settings, military bases usually doesnt produce generic goods to specifically sell on market. We sometimes have a lot of things that we doesnt need urgently and thus can sell, but they all have some specific uses first.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss
    Strategic Operations sounds like something in Final Fantasy Tactics, where you just click the unit, they go to a spot unavailable for a few days, then you get stuff. I hope it is more complex than that.

^ Top  
  12. Trithne Augur

Trithne

^ Top  
  13. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    "quite a lot of" is a weasel term~ You can use that to represent a lot of misdirection.

I dont object to the concept of selling weapons/ammo/ships/alien artifacts for good sum of credits. It's the economic aspect of the game that make balancing things fun and enjoyable. Nothing like at the end of the month, gov funding havent coming in, but you have to pay a lot of people's salary and maintainance, thus you have to sell ALL the things you didnt need and maybe some of things you definitely still need but can somehow do without, one way or another.

It is the concept of a saleable item named "profitable goods" with NO use whatsoever other than to sell on market that I object about~

There is a critical difference.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  14. Trithne Augur

Trithne
    The part of the quote you were supposed to read is "it is just here for the first build to test shit"

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    If we dont object the shit out of it, some devs will sneakily leave that shit behind to continue on next version.

We need to object loud and clear. If the devs dont want to hear loud objection, they will need to think before they insert dumb concept into their work.

To think more is a good thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Ezeekiel Arbiter

Ezeekiel
    For those of you playing the beta, how is the atmosphere? Lack thereof in the first game was a big letdown for me, esp. when compared to TFTD, M.A.X. etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. baud Arbiter

baud
    It could also have been inspired/copied from the last DLC from XCOM 2, where you can send pairs of soldiers to get some loot/recruits new soldiers/reduce the game over counter.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. PhantasmaNL Arcane Patron

PhantasmaNL
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
    Early Access Delay & Closed Beta V3 Released!
    Posted by Goldhawk Interactive (Creator)

We've had a busy six weeks since the release of Beta Build V2 and today we're releasing another major update for the game, but first I'd like to discuss the Early Access launch of the game that was due to occur later this month.

Unfortunately, we don't feel the game is ready for an Early Access launch yet and so we're pushing this back and extending the Closed Beta instead. However all the £18 Kickstarter backers who are due to receive an Early Access key will instead be invited to join the Closed Beta and should still be getting their Steam / GOG keys this month as previously promised.

Hopefully this doesn't inconvenience anyone - let us know if it does. I'll write a longer post later this month with more details about our plans for sending out the keys!

Closed Beta Build V3:
    The release of V3 today marks the first time that we've started to consider the gameplay of the builds rather than purely their stability and functionality. I'll pick out a few of the most important changes and briefly discuss them here, but the full (and very long) changelog can be found on our forums here - as I said, it's been a busy six weeks!

• Main Base Update: previously we were using the XCOM 2012 system where your base was made up of a number of equally-size "slots" into which you could place buildings. We've now returned to the familiar grid setup from the first Xenonauts where structures are all different sizes, a change that just makes the whole system feel deeper than before.
    • Soldier Generation & Recruitment: we've made a number of changes to improve the gameplay with regards to the soldiers. You can now see the stats of your soldiers before you hire them, Strength has returned as a stat that controls carrying capacity, and the soldier randomisation should now be fully functional. We've also added about 250 new soldier portraits to the game.
    • Strategic Operations: these are points of interest on the Geoscape that you can send your soldiers to resolve in order to receive some kind of reward. They are the main method for "recruiting" scientists / engineers into your organisation, but we plan to expand them to include many of the Geoscape actions that currently happen behind the scenes (we're outlining some of the possibilities here).
    • Alien Base mission: there's a small Alien Base in the game at about the 15-day mark that allows you to test the first iteration of our Alien Base missions.
    • Second Alien Race: to date the builds have only included the Psyons, but we've now introduced the Sebillians. The familiar regenerating lizardmen from X1 have returned as the basic Warriors who can wield a variety of equipment, but there are also larger and tougher Brutes that carry heavy weapons.
    There's also been a large number of bugfixes and smaller updates and upgrades, all of which can be seen in the full changelogs.

As always, we'll be monitoring the bug reporter and our forums so we can quickly hotfix any major errors that appear. The community bug reports we get are always incredibly useful so please let us know if you find any issues!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Iluvcheezcake Savant

Iluvcheezcake
    Glad to hear they went with the previous way of base building :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. PanteraNera Cipher

PanteraNera
    Unfortunately, no :negative:

Source: https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com...69-xenonauts-2-closed-beta-build-v3-released/

• Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yep, still the same. Just checked to make sure. Combat phase seems to run a lot smoother though, but it still makes my GPU fan spin like a mofo.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. PanteraNera Cipher

PanteraNera
    The beauty of Unity.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. geno Educated

geno
    They are delivering the keys for backers. Check your email.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20115-x2-base-mechanics-community-poll/

ah, the dreaded technological limitations :M

Unfortunately not all technological limitations have been overcome yet!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    :decline:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)