Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I finished Mass Effect 2...

KalosKagathos

Learned
And... It's good. Yeah, I can't believe this either, being a veteran Bio hater and everything, but there you go. Anyway, a quick overview. Some spoilers are there, but nothing major.

Loved:

1. Party members. Best BioWare party yet, mostly because they finally ditched the old character archetypes they've been recycling since KotOR and finally wrote someone different. By "different" I don't mean "original", mind you: most of them are still cliches, just cliches that Bio hasn't done to death yet, which is a step up. My favorite is the salarian scientist who has tons of character development during his personal quest.
2. Plot structure. The story is about gathering a team and building up trust, not flying around the galaxy and repelling alien invaders. In fact, Collectors, the baddies of this game, are the least commonly fought enemy type. Most of the time you'll be shooting mercs.
3. Cerberus, and its integration into the story. I was very sceptical when it was revealed that you'd be working for them, given that the first game portrayed them entirely unsympathetically, but they're well executed. You always get dialogue options to say that you're working with them, not for them, and only because they're the only organization willing to allocate resources to dealing with the Collectors threat. At the very end you can sever the ties with them entirely and cut off the transmition from the Illusive Man once the job is done.
4. Combat. Most enemies have additional defences on top of their health bar: armor, shields, biotic barriers, or several of the above. Tech characters are good at disabling shields, biotics can warp armor and barriers, soldiers deal great damage to exposed underbelly and are good at finishing targets off. Tech and biotic characters can also immobilize enemies who lost shields/armor/barrier to make the job of soldiers easier. It's straightforward, but surprisingly fun.
5. Open mockery of the sillier parts of the first game. Spectres in particular are constantly made fun of: at one point you can hear an advertising of a movie about the first hanar spectre, who's got a lover in every port and a gun in every tentacle. "Enkindle this", indeed. Then there's the slowly moving elevator in Miranda's personal quest.
6. Moral choices. It's always nice to see some RPG-like features in an action game.

Hated:

1. Mini-games. They don't add anything to the game and only waste your time, probing planets much more so than the other two. At least they aren't as abysmally bad as the frogger from the first game, but there's still no reason for them to be there.
2. Decisions carrying over from the first game. As expected, nothing more than hype. Most of them yield nothing but an e-mail retelling your actions in Mass Effect 1, occasionally you meet characters from Mass Effect 1 and they retell you your actions in person. My memory is fine, thank you. Only two "old" characters gave me quests: Conrad and the cop chick from Noveria, and I doubt they change much depending on your treatment of these characters. Speaking of Conrad, the game can't even retell you your actions right sometimes: he said I threatened him with a gun, which I didn't. I wasn't even able to, as my Intimidation skill wasn't high enough. While we're at it, Garrus turns into a vigilante even if you persuade him to re-join C-Sec.

Not sure how I feel about:

1. Grunt, the krogan party member. Hold on there, I know what you're thing: "A krogan? I bet he's a walking library of war stories, a shameless Canderous clone." Not quite. He's genetically engineered, the genetic material used in his creation is as perfect as it gets, and the memories of the greatest battles in krogan history were implanted within him. His problem? He's literally days old. His mind knows what it means to be an ultimate krogan, but Grunt himself doesn't *know* it. :dakkon: He's also a bit insecure about being created perfect: krogan heroes had to earn the hero status. The problem with his character development? All of his doubts go away when he joins a clan. That's it. A krogan with a clan is a happy krogan. Talk about wasted potential.

TLDR: best BioWare game yet, and one of the best action/adventure games I've ever played.

In before skyway.

KalosKagathos said:
And... It's good. Yeah, I can't believe this either, being a veteran Bio hater and everything, but there you go.

And I can, with you being veteran weeaboo faggot and everything. :cool:

Joghurt

Augur
Grunt was OK in my opinion. I hated Jack and the black dude the most. Other characters were OK. I really liked Legion and the salarian scientist.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The planet scanning minigame is indeed crap. It would have been alright if not for the abysmal mouse sensitivity and amount you have to do. I think the code-hack mini game is pretty fun though, it's fast, multiple colors and makes a satisfying sound when you win.

As for characters, Legion was my definite favorite, followed by the salarian. I just wish Legion had more content.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I also liked pretty much every party member you get, especially Legion, which I felt that Bioware kinda wasted off as a p. member, since you get him pretty much near the end.

Now I'm waiting for bio's stuttering graphics fix-patch, so that I can replay the game, and thoroughly enjoy it this time. Yeah, it's definitely one of my favorite action games (maybe that's because I haven't really played too many action games), and I feel that it's miles away from ME 1, mainly because it finally decided to ditch the broken inventory system & most of the would-be rpg elements in favor of the main plot/secondary quests, camera (which feels and plays waaay better, seriously I wanted to replay ME 1 after finishing the 2nd, the camera for the 1st game feels way more clunky) and party-members.

edit:
Emotional Vampire
Unwanted
:shock:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
KalosKagathos said:
1. Grunt, the krogan party member. Hold on there, I know what you're thing: "A krogan? I bet he's a walking library of war stories, a shameless Canderous clone."

Oh, no. The Canderous clone is Zaeed. the day-one DLC guy. They even look kind of similar.

Zaeed served in the Alliance military before building a reputation as one of the deadliest guns-for-hire in the Terminus Systems. For 20 years he waged war for profit, but now he wishes to retire from his life of bloodshed and mercenary work. He is hired by Cerberus to join Commander Shepard's team as they work to put an end to the Collector's campaign of human abduction. After Zaeed is hired by Cerberus Shepard is instructed to go to Omega to pick him up. An old man with a heavily scarred face and equipped in a manner resembling a gladiator, he joins the mission exclusively for the money being paid to him by Cerberus. During his loyalty mission, he reveals that he co-founded the Blue Suns.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
KalosKagathos said:
And... It's good. Yeah, I can't believe this either, being a veteran Bio hater and everything, but there you go. Anyway, a quick overview. Some spoilers are there, but nothing major.

Loved:

1. Party members. Best BioWare party yet, mostly because they finally ditched the old character archetypes they've been recycling since KotOR and finally wrote someone different. By "different" I don't mean "original", mind you: most of them are still cliches, just cliches that Bio hasn't done to death yet, which is a step up. My favorite is the salarian scientist who has tons of character development during his personal quest.
They only have character development during their quests. You may get a little backstory talking to them between missions, but they generally clam up quickly (so they won't blow their wad all at once more than any real 'getting to know you' excuse). After Jack's mission all I get out of her is a 'Fuck off'. While I'm not sure I prefer the Dragon Age/NWN2 guessing game of which companion to take on what quest and what responses to give to earn their loyalty, I do prefer the character development come during the 'action' instead of in drips and dabs between it.
6. Moral choices. It's always nice to see some RPG-like features in an action game.
Except you always end up in the same situation regardless of your moral choices. Until possibly at the very end. Maybe you bypass a firefight, but there's not many real consequences.

Monocause

Arcane
True, HanoverF, but keep in mind that the party members' quests are a major part of the game - and doing them affects the outcome of the game.

don't do enough of them - you die during the final mission

I didn't feel them to be underdeveloped, especially given that you know that the game is tied with ME3 directly. Compare this with ME1, where character development was pretty much non-existent.

I preferred the way DA handled it, but ME2 was completely acceptable in this aspect for me.

PS. You must've chosen someone else for the romance. You'll be able to convince Jack to change her attitude if you ditch the party member you're currently romancing.

The twist with Legion was excellent. I really didn't expect that.

KalosKagathos

Learned
HanoverF said:
They only have character development during their quests. You may get a little backstory talking to them between missions, but they generally clam up quickly (so they won't blow their wad all at once more than any real 'getting to know you' excuse). After Jack's mission all I get out of her is a 'Fuck off'. While I'm not sure I prefer the Dragon Age/NWN2 guessing game of which companion to take on what quest and what responses to give to earn their loyalty, I do prefer the character development come during the 'action' instead of in drips and dabs between it.
Sorry, but you're wrong. Personal quests are rather full of action (military, or, in case of Samara and Thane, otherwise), and that's when real character development happens. Conversations on Normandy only sum things up. Character opening up to you is always related to a specific event in ME2, while in DA and NWN2 all you need is to get enough generic influence points.
Except you always end up in the same situation regardless of your moral choices. Until possibly at the very end. Maybe you bypass a firefight, but there's not many real consequences.
So? That's more than Gears of War and Uncharted offer, and these are the games that a sane person would compare ME2 to.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Those games have much better action. Really ME2 is shit compared to Uncharted, even with 0 effect on the cut scenes. It's Choices and Consequences, not choice.

I meant character interaction coming during the action. My point still stands and I'm right.

Multi-headed Cow

Lesifoere said:
KalosKagathos said:
1. Grunt, the krogan party member. Hold on there, I know what you're thing: "A krogan? I bet he's a walking library of war stories, a shameless Canderous clone."

Oh, no. The Canderous clone is Zaeed. the day-one DLC guy. They even look kind of similar.

Zaeed served in the Alliance military before building a reputation as one of the deadliest guns-for-hire in the Terminus Systems. For 20 years he waged war for profit, but now he wishes to retire from his life of bloodshed and mercenary work. He is hired by Cerberus to join Commander Shepard's team as they work to put an end to the Collector's campaign of human abduction. After Zaeed is hired by Cerberus Shepard is instructed to go to Omega to pick him up. An old man with a heavily scarred face and equipped in a manner resembling a gladiator, he joins the mission exclusively for the money being paid to him by Cerberus. During his loyalty mission, he reveals that he co-founded the Blue Suns.
I have heard (Not sure if it's true as I haven't downloaded him yet) that Zaeed has next to no dialog apart from when you get him/do his loyalty mission. Confirm/deny?

I agree with pretty much everything Kalos said in the first post though. The only thing I'm slightly annoyed with is how angsty so many party members are. Garrus, Jack and Grunt are all pretty emo. Maybe it makes a bit more sense since this is supposedly a suicide mission so they want to space-cut their space-wrists but it still gets to me. Haven't picked up the asari or assassin yet, hopefully they're not moody.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Confirm.

Assassin is pretty moody, the justicar, not so much(but still a bit).

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One major improvement in ME2 compared, say, to DAO is that, if just once, timing matters here.
I mean, in DAO you had that boy that was possessed by a demon, and you could just say "Yeah, I'll summon the mages to help him etc." - and then run around carelessly doing other missions because, well, no matter how slow you take it he's still alive & kicking when you get back with the mages. Typical Bio approach, that was.
Here, your crew - including your *hawt* secretary chick Kelly - actually wind up dead (turned into some kind of goo) if you're too careless to actually hurry.
The only downside is that this kind of thing happens only once in the whole game. Still, I cannot but commend Bio for this risky innovation. :D I, for one, wasn't expecting such a daring move on their part - that's why my crew ended up, uhm, screwed.

Other features:
nice story (for an interactive movie w/some choice), nice writing, some nice loyalty quests
BUT crappy combat, boring as hell

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished the game. In spite of many qualities that the game has, it felt like a chore. The game never realize it's potential: it's a bunch of copy-paste stuff. The game deserves an 8 and anything beyond that is poor judgment.

I didn't play Oblivion/Fallout3, but Risen had more soul than DAO and ME2 combined. Risen atmosphere is persistent long after the game was finished, but DAO feeling is already gone as ME2 will be soon.

Multi-headed Cow

Crooked Bee said:
Here, your crew - including your *hawt* secretary chick Kelly - actually wind up dead (turned into some kind of goo) if you're too careless to actually hurry.
Is this at some point later, or am I fucked since I'm flying around scanning planets and doing sidequests and smelling the space-roses?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Multi-headed Cow said:
Crooked Bee said:
Is this at some point later, or am I fucked since I'm flying around scanning planets and doing sidequests and smelling the space-roses?

It's after your crew get abducted. Before that, you can do whatever you want at whatever pace you want. But once that happens, afaik you have to hurry.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I LIKED NOT BEING A CONSOLETARD FAG AND NEVER PLAYING ME2 EXCEPT FOR THE 80 HOURS I PLATED SO THJAT I KNOW HOW BIG OF FAGS YOU ARE

KalosKagathos said:
1. Grunt, the krogan party member. Hold on there, I know what you're thing: "A krogan? I bet he's a walking library of war stories, a shameless Canderous clone." Not quite. He's genetically engineered, the genetic material used in his creation is as perfect as it gets, and the memories of the greatest battles in krogan history were implanted within him. His problem? He's literally days old. His mind knows what it means to be an ultimate krogan, but Grunt himself doesn't *know* it. :dakkon: He's also a bit insecure about being created perfect: krogan heroes had to earn the hero status. The problem with his character development? All of his doubts go away when he joins a clan. That's it. A krogan with a clan is a happy krogan. Talk about wasted potential.

assist16_080314awk05.jpg

KalosKagathos

Learned
HanoverF said:
Those games have much better action. Really ME2 is shit compared to Uncharted, even with 0 effect on the cut scenes. It's Choices and Consequences, not choice.
Go through the Omega 4 relay too soon and a lot of your party members will die. Fuck, if you get greedy with the ship upgrades, half of them will die before you even land. If they all die, Shepard dies. Go through the relay too late and most of the abducted crew will be killed and used for construction of the oversized terminator.
I also found shooting to be more fun in ME2 than in Uncharted. More enemy variety and keyboard + mouse controls. Still haven't played Uncharted 2 though.
I meant character interaction coming during the action. My point still stands and I'm right.
What? There is character interaction during action: the character for whom you're doing the personal quest always has several small dialogue trees during the mission, and other characters often comment on what's happening as well. Not every character has a comment for every situation - the main drawback of full voice acting - but most do. What the fuck else do you want?
Clockwork Knight said:
He's not that bad. :lol:

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
Crooked Bee said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
Crooked Bee said:

It's after your crew get abducted. Before that, you can do whatever you want at whatever pace you want. But once that happens, afaik you have to hurry.

This is absolutely not true. I went right after they were abducted, lost Legion and the doc. Replayed it later to try and get the achievement (lolz) but went to every unexplored system and planet, and did several new side missions, then went on the suicide mission with 0 casualties and got the crew back. You probably can't do any loyalty missions though.

And I don't think skipping ship upgrades is greedy, because scanning planets is totally fucking tedious. I mean the first one exploring with the lame ATV was worse, but the scanning in this one is dreadfully dull.

KalosKagathos

Learned
True, the timer only seems to advance when you get a debriefing screen, the one with the Illusive Man sitting in a chair and looking enigmatic. That doesn't change the fact that C&C are in there, easily gamed, but still in there.

Multi-headed Cow

Just got Thane and picked up his loyalty quest. I'm amazed, I actually kind of like him. WHAT BLACK MAGIC IS THIS, A BIOWARE GAME WHERE PARTY MEMBERS AREN'T BAD? Hell, I think the only one I don't particularly like is Jack. Even Grunt is surprising for a Bioware character.

Also, when Thane had his flashback, he looked distressingly like the derpderp dog. Wasn't paying much attention to what he was saying since I was too busy thinking HURRRRR

DURRRRRRRRRRR

DURRR HURRRRRR

DERP DERP DERP

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom