Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Untitled NWN2 Mod

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Polls have been moved to the 2nd post.

Update - 8/7/10

Finally finished MotB for the first time (F13/WM7/DC10). Pretty good stuff. By far the best scene was the dialog with the dead god. Best interaction I have seen in an RPG in years. Really felt the moment there. Not going to address the spirit meter as it is story specific and will not make it into the mod.

Lessons learned
:

Economy: I had well over 500,000 gp at the end. What is the point of gold if it's this abundant and there are no money sinks?

Magic Items-
Once again had a bag full of unused magic items.

Crafting -
Way, way overpowered. I only added a vampiric reg (+4) and fire damage (4d6) to my off-hand sword. The game was still easy. If I had crafted armor/weapons for the rest of my party it would have been a cake walk.

Story - This is where MotB shines. It is basically a doomed love story that the PC gets in the middle of. Also the PC has a vested interest (can't just move to a different town) in the outcome of the love story. Saving the world is great and all but there needs to be an emotional connection between the player the PC and the story otherwise it falls flat.

Narration - This was a great idea. In the tool-set you can convey visual moments but cannot tell the player how they feel. The narrator really tied it all together. This will definitely be in my mod.

Visual effects -
They did a lot with the light ambiance in this game. Making some areas bleak and others soothing based solely on the light levels. Well done.

Next up Soz.

Update - 7/26/10

Well I didn't get the mandatory summer vacation I thought I would. As a matter of fact I was promoted (100 minions now do my bidding). So that means I had less time then I thought. Enough with the excuses though.

The OC - I played though the OC to completion for the first time (F13/WM7). The first half sucked, it got better, then finished sort of meh. The keep was interesting for awhile. The keep was also a good idea for a money sink but it didn’t go far enough. The story was crap, then so-so, then meh. The only battle I needed to replay was the first Dragon battle and I’m a little embarrassed that I died twice.

The value of magic items is really diminished in this game. Every crap person has some epic artifact when you kill them. It devalues them all. Then you can sell them for 20,000 gp each and buy anything you want. I crafted nothing and ended up with all the equipment I wanted to buy, all the keep upgrades, and about 200,000 in gp. That was with a bag full of unused items.

Also there was nothing memorable about them. Remember Celestial Fury, Crom Faer(?), Flail of Ages, Mace of Disruption, and the Ring of Wizardry? These items were noteworthy because they were far rarer than in the OC.

Lessons Learned:

Limit magic items: Named items should be rare to increase their perceived value. There should also not be multiple named items that do the same thing.

Limit gold: You need to have an almost fixed economy. Lower the base value of items and put a lower cap on what stores are able to spend on purchases. People are not going to be selling that +4 Long sword of Awesomeness if they are only getting 250 gp for it.

Limit purchasable magic items: Most stores should not have any named magic items. These are rare and should only be sold by selected traders.

More non-linearity:
Chapter 2 in BG2 was by far the most nonlinear time I have ever spent in an RPG. In the OC almost everything is mandatory. Sure you can do (a few) things in a different order but you still need to do them all. Think about all the stronghold quests, the shadow temple, the unseeing eye, Trademeet, the Umar hills, that Red Dragon. All that was optional and you could do it in any order.

If you want a city make a damn city: Remember Baldur's Gate and Athkala? Those were some big cities. Each was comprised of 7+ areas. Neverwinter feels like a small town by comparison. Even that crappy city in DA had the same feeling. The areas felt smaller and there were less of them making the city feel small. It's only a big city because they tell you it is. Also why is there only one inn in NW? BG2 had one inn or tavern in every area. It's not a big thing but it creates the illusion of size and commerce.

Merchants need their own shops:
I would say 90% of merchants in the OC are street hustlers. What the hell is that about? And, like I said before, they are filled to the brim with named magical items so it makes no sense. Merchants should have their own shops.

Crafting: What a waste of time.

I'll post my thought on MotB design issues when I finish that game.

Update - 5/23/10
After about two weeks of screwing around with the DA tool-set I have decided it's too broken to use. The final straw was the fact that water-planes will not appear in game unless you use some shitty workaround. Seriously, six months after release they have one update and still have not fixed some very basic issues. Also you cannot make your own world-map ensuring that you need create an add-on module or just go without.

Screw BioWare.

Now we are making a NWN2 module!!! I know most of you are poor like Liberal but I hope that you all have a computer that can run a 5 year old program. And we are still going with the V/O from the Codexians.

Another perk of the NWN2 tool-set is that since it is 5 years old most problems have workarounds and there is a shitload of pre-made areas, placebales, and scripts.

End Update.

Alright you bastards (I like starting any new topic with those words) I am more than likely going to have to take a significant amount of mandated time off starting in June and maybe sooner because of a nursing strike at the health system I work for. At best I will be able to work 20 hours a week. Since I will be using my PTO to make up the balance in salary and I have no idea how long the strike will go on for I cannot do anything that will cost extra money during this time. So I'm going to make a DA mod.

It is generally agreed that the DA tool-set sucks monkey balls. But what the hell, I'm going to give it a go. For the last week or so I have been going through tutorials trying to figure things out in anticipation of the strike (which was just approved by the union tonight).

Now DA was epic - but was it epic enough?
DA was dark - but was it dark enough?
DA had elf butt sex - but was there enough butt sex? And where the hell was the surprise butt sex?

I already have a framework for a story and a general layout of the beginning 1/3 of the module. And while the story is not necessarily lulzy there may be lulzy side quests and characters.

Also all of the characters are going to be from the Codex. Yes you will have the chance to interact with all your favorite on-line personalities like:

DarkUnderlord
Vault Dweller
kingcomrade
Volourn
Wrymlord (I promise you can kill him)
Skyway/Metalcraze
Cleave
Andhaira (I promise you can kill him)

This is just a sample of the many, many Codexers who will be making appearances. And since importing voice overs is relatively easy everyone can speak their own lines!! Keep in mind no one has agreed to do VO work but why the hell would you not. I will list the people who have been drafted (or volunteered) in one of the following posts. Keep in mind that not everyone can be a good guy and someone needs to be the butt sex elf (just kidding - that's Jaesun). So if anyone not listed wants in just let me know. If anyone wants out - to bad.

Anyway my Bioware project page is www.screwyou.com. Have you seen the Bio site? It also sucks monkey balls.[/url][/url]

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Actors:

Team Paco (Good Guys)
sportfor redneck
Xor
Matt
Saxon
Andyman Messiah (The Horse)
denizsi
racofer
MisterStone
WhiskeyWolf
Haba
Jack
GarfunkeL
Mikayel
DramaticPopcorn

Team DU
DarkUnderlord
JarlFrank
Trash
Jason
DefJam
Ventalatorof Doom
Fez
Saint_Proverbius (deceased)
Sol Invictus (deceaced)
Gnidrologist

Team Pretty Princess
Volourn
Cloaked Figure (and alts)
Chefe (and his alts)
Hamster
Luzur
Dark Individual
Gragt (fucked his sister)
Liberal
Admiral Rimjob POOBUM
Melcar
Martin
zerotol (and his alts)
roll-a-die
Droog

Team Skyway
Skyway
MetalCraze
Annie
Jaime Lannister
spacemoose
Darth Roxor
Lumpy
Freelance Henchman
Shagnak
ViolentOpposition
bryce
Kosmonaut
Grunker
Cthulhugoat
Qwinn
Cassidy

Free Agents
Cleave
Vault Dweller
kingcomrade
Wrymlord
Andhaira
DraQ
Clockwork Knight
Emotional Vampire
Higher Game
Lyric Suite
poopoo mcbumface
Jaeson (butt sex elf)

Team Ladyboy
Kaiserin (and Dirk)
ScottishMartialArts
PennyAnte
MajorBlackheart
Orgasm
Stalin_brando
Torquemada
Tis_A_Trap

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Will you post your entire design document, for our own perusal? Or just extracts of it, just to outline what you pretend to do?

I'm assuming that you have the aforementioned document. And if not, disregard what I said.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Kosmonaut said:
Will you post your entire design document, for our own perusal? Or just extracts of it, just to outline what you pretend to do?

I'm assuming that you have the aforementioned document. And if not, disregard what I said.

It will be spoiler filled but I will in a few days. Not all completed yet.

Morkar Left

Improving NWN2 - SoZ would have been easier and better...

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
This might actually turn out good.
Have you completed any mods before?
How's your track record?

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Is that some kind of joke?

Btw
Yes you will have the chance to interact with all your favorite one-line personalities like.

fix

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Morkar said:
Improving NWN2 - SoZ would have been easier and better...
Yes but DA is the new shit.

This might actually turn out good.
Have you completed any mods before?
How's your track record?
Doubtful
Just small areas for NWN2.
Look at the odds at the bottom of the progress report post.

I want to romance VD.
We will see.

Looking forward the beta release in 2020.
That seems a little too optimistic. I will be releasing a combat demo soon though.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
This is going to take you a lot longer than the duration of the strike unless they're aiming for some sort of world record. Don't underestimate how long a decent-length mod takes to make.

Once again look at the odd of completion. I know it will take a long long time. But maybe the first part can be finished before I abandon it.

Will I get to dual wield two handed swords?

If you get the douchbag achievement.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
My only demands are that I be a majestic brown horse and that I be featured in all sex scenes even if I don't take part in them directly. I should also be pretty fucking kawaii, to properly reflect my love for japanese roleplaying game games.

edit: Of course, should this mod ever require lol voice acting I have a crappy microphone somewhere and I live very close to a horse racing track (true story) so I can go out and record all the noise you need. There are also plenty of drug addicts out here so I can probably convince them to play Mr Hands for some special time sound effects.

CrimHead

Scholar
Andyman Messiah said:
My only demands are that I be a majestic brown horse and that I be featured in all sex scenes even if I don't take part in them directly.

752px-John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.jpg

Also: Posting in a potentially epic thread.

Murk

Arcane
Do you seriously plan on trying to do Voice-over work? I imagine if you did it would just be you doing caricature voices?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Andyman Messiah said:
My only demands are that I be a majestic brown horse and that I be featured in all sex scenes even if I don't take part in them directly. I should also be pretty fucking kawaii, to properly reflect my love for japanese roleplaying game games.

Silly horse. Didn't you hear about the horse apocalypse? There are no horses in DA. I have you pegged as the trusty ox that pulls the cart around.

On the plus side you can be in any camp based sex scenes.

Do you seriously plan on trying to do Voice-over work? I imagine if you did it would just be you doing caricature voices?

It's actually surprisingly easy to put in voice overs. In fact it may be the easiest part of the whole toolset. Whether or not I can get the miscreants on this site to help is up for debate.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Too bad by the time it will come out all those new 15 years old members will already fap to Dragon Age 7 Popamole Edition

Liberal

Barely Literate
Any chance you might consider doing a module for NWN1 instead? Not all of us are can play Graphix Whore Age on their machines. :'(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom