Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft II campaign is a true Codexian RPG

Kraszu

Prophet
AlaCarcuss said:
I wasn't talking about WoW specifically, yeah it sucks, however it does help finance their other (more worthwhile) franchises at least....

I don't buy that:
Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness 1995 fantasy real-time strategy game
Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal 1996 expansion pack
Diablo 1997 action-oriented fantasy role-playing game
StarCraft 1998 science fiction real-time strategy game
StarCraft: Brood War 1998
Diablo II 2000 action-oriented fantasy role-playing game
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction 2001 expansion pack
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos 2002 fantasy real-time strategy game
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne 2003 expansion pack
World of Warcraft 2004 MMORPG set in the Warcraft universe.
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade 2007 expansion pack
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty [11] 2010 science fiction real-time strategy game
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm 2010 expansion pack
Diablo III[12][13][14]

They games were selling good, they develop two games at once as they had in the past so how exactly WOW helps? Blizzard will not make games that don't give them big profit WOW had only made them more greedy it is the only change.

laclongquan

Arcane
Kraszu I dont understand your problem. of course a developer will make game that bring good and certain profit. What's so hard to understand about it?

Blizzard make good games and they stick to what they're good at. They dont try their hands at other genre, dont dumb down or streamline it to port to console. So? Good business strategy.

Frankly you sound like a pissed off guy who dont know why you are pissed off.

On another note, RTS genre has some awesome SP game like Warzone 2100. They got MP feature, but the campaign is so awesome I replayed it a few times. YEAH, Warzone 2100 rule!

Kraszu

Prophet
laclongquan said:
Kraszu I dont understand your problem. of course a developer will make game that bring good and certain profit. What's so hard to understand about it?

It was in response to:
"I wasn't talking about WoW specifically, yeah it sucks, however it does help finance their other (more worthwhile) franchises at least...."

My point was that SC, and Diablo franchises are successful, they could had been developed from money that Blizzard had made on Diablo/SC so WOW money does not help to develop them, it had just put development of those titles on hold for ~7 years.

It does not matter that they have more money now, they will not spend more on SC2/DIII then they think is commercially viable so WOW money change nothing that was my only point.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
lovestarcraft-1.jpg

abdwef

Novice
I don't know about Starcraft II. I thought Warcraft III was a terrible sequel to Warcraft II (but not a terrible game), so I'm skeptical of these claims that Blizzard is recapturing the "magic" of Starcraft.

There’s a degree of non-linearity to it, with you being able to select from a number of missions. In other words, get stuck and you can go off and do something else, then return later with some better guns.

I don't understand what's supposed to be so innovative about choosing the order of missions in a strategy game. It already sounds so formulaic; go to four planets, on each planet complete six missions (and by the way, I bet some of those missions are lousy sidequest missions), then proceed to the final area to take on the big bad (Arcturus Mensk?).

I really doubt that WoL will justify its $60 pricetag, but then, I seem to be among the few people that thought Warcraft III had a lousy campaign, so I'll probably be among the minority of Codex posters.

Destroid

Arcane
SC2 is extremely close to SC1. It's a great game and a worthy successor in a 'more of the same' kind of way, which is fine, because the same is awesome.

abdwef said:
I really doubt that WoL will justify its $60 pricetag, but then, I seem to be among the few people that thought Warcraft III had a lousy campaign, so I'll probably be among the minority of Codex posters.

The Warcraft 3 campaign was miles better then the Starcraft campaigns. Sure the story was kind of silly and felt like a stupid setup to WoW, but the actual mission design was far better/varied and they were actually half challenging. Starcraft was always just fighting against the same braindead easy AI that never attacked with any respectable number of forces. I remember I once beat the starcraft campaign with nothing other then mass marines/hydralisks/dragoons. lols.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think the point of the SC campaign was mostly to introduce you to all the unit types while telling a cool story. Maybe the SC2 one will be different, as in WC3 they seemed to realize that it's pointless trying to teach people the basics of a multiplayer game in single player since

A: Multiplayer always starts with an empty base, which is boring as fuck for single player after 30 missions.

B: Half the people won't ever touch the singleplayer anyways (Arbiters can use stasis?!?!?! And it makes shit invulnerable?!?!!? And lasts this long?!?!?! And recall works HOW?!?!?! DERPDERPDERP!!!!!)

That said, I got real sick of the WC3 campaign real fast, since there was way too much time wasting bullshit like invincible bases spawning lame shit you had to defend against for half an hour.

I don't remember any invincible bases except the very last one of WC3. There were certainly missions that required you to defend, but you could still kill the enemy bases if you were really good.

The early human defense mission, for example, simply set you up against 2 large undead bases which had a level 10 lich hero guarding them. Its not that you couldn't kill them, it was just really hard unless you played on the easiest difficulty. And you didn't really want to, because it was more profitable to complete the side quest and get powerful items at the same time, which made it hard enough to split your forces while defending your base. An excellent example of map design where you were under pressure to defend your bases and defend the civilians in the area who would be killed if you didn't rush to their aid fast enough.

Its the starcraft counterparts which ended up with boring campy style missions where you just hid behind 5 bunkers and 10 siege tanks for 20 mins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom