Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Arcania: Gothic 4 Preview

Yeah, Risen was super solid at launch. It was shocking, honestly, but polish wasn't a problem.

Nedrah

Erudite
Game sounds fine to me.
Yes, standards have been lowered - fuck it, G3 sucked balls, Risen tried too hard and failed... By now it's just another ARPG I'm going to check out. Should do fine by this definition.

Nebenher: Bierzelt klingt gut.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Morkar said:
From a technical point of view I expect them to deliver better quality than Piranha Bytes are being able to do.
You're kidding right? Forsaken Gods was a much bigger mess than G3, so if anything we know that JoWood makes even bigger messes when PB aren't around.

And I expect Arcania will sell better than Risen because of its streamlining.
It might sell better... or it might be FG all over again. I suspect the latter, but Spellbound should be more competent than that Indian studio they hired the first time. We'll see.

Morkar Left

Shannow said:
Morkar wrote:
From a technical point of view I expect them to deliver better quality than Piranha Bytes are being able to do.

Not

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=48757

Maybe we should wait till the game released? And high hardware requirements isn´t the same as bad quality. E.g. Wing Commander had very demanding hardware requirements...

Sceptic said:
Morkar said:
You're kidding right? Forsaken Gods was a much bigger mess than G3, so if anything we know that JoWood makes even bigger messes when PB aren't around.

JoWood is a shitty publisher but Spellbound isn´t a shitty developer. And I don´t think that Arcania will have the same size as Gothic 3.

Sceptic said:
And I expect Arcania will sell better than Risen because of its streamlining.
It might sell better... or it might be FG all over again. I suspect the latter, but Spellbound should be more competent than that Indian studio they hired the first time. We'll see.

Right. Spellbound isn´t a shitty Indian developer who works for rice and is only used as a last resort from Jowood to milk idiots for a better operation result. Some idiots will even remember this and refuse to buy the game but I suspect the majority will just buy the game if it SOUNDS good and the new target audience will more than make up for this loss.
I think the game will be decent. An entertaining, brainless action-rpg that is better than oblivion like divinity 2 or Two Worlds. But of course it will not be as successful as Oblivion because it has no editor and you can´t customize the face of your hero and it is from europe.
Codex will probably not like it as an rpg and for not being like gothic 2 and being dumped down. An opinion that I would share if i would be interested in buying the game. But I will still have to play Gothic 3 with the story project when it´s done :D

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Luzur said:
you can only be hardcore if you are born before 1990, and know how to load CRPG's from 5,25 discs, so adding in lots of shit in my Gothic games does not change a thing.

and its going to be out on console too? not even close to "hardcore".
Damn i'm not hardocre then :/ I only had computers with 3,5 FDDs - Amiga 500 and PC AT. Shit.

bloodlover

Arcane
If they fuck up G4 too, the series will be in even more shit than it already is. Like some guy said earlier, Gothic series died after G2 NotR.

As for the "We are aiming for the hardcore players"... that's just bullshit. Hardcore players don't make the majority of buyers, casual players do. And I really doubt some newbie that never played the first Gothic games or a decent RPG for that matter or is a console fanboy that thinks Demon;s Soul was epic could ever have the patience to finish a vast and long game like this. We'll just have to wait and see.

I just hope they optimize the game and put in some decent requirements because I don't want to wait 2-3 years for some "community patch" in order to play the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom