Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Arcania: Gothic 4 Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Gothic 4: Arcania; JoWood Productions

<p>Hooked Gamers <a href="http://www.hookedgamers.com/pc/arcania_gothic_4/preview/article-742.html" target="_blank">put up a preview</a> based on GamesCom info.</p>
<p>Learn why the lack of mini maps and quest arrows is fucking hardcore:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The Gothic games have always targeted a hardcore RPG audience, mostly due to the lack of aides such as mini maps and directional arrows pointing towards your currently selected quest. <em>ArcaniA</em> will ship with a number of aides, including said mini map, but leaves it up to the player which of them he switches on. An overall map shows your location on the large island that makes up most of the game world. Jowood describes the game world as a 'natural barrier open world' which translates into large, isolated areas that can be accessed only when you are ready for them. Readying yourself means taking quests, gaining experience and leveling up your character. One example given of such a barrier was a bridge guarded by a bunch of thugs not willing to let you pass unless you carry out some jobs for them.</p>
<p>...</p>
<p><em>ArcaniA: Gothic 4</em> may in some ways be a reboot for the series, but it shares much of the DNA of its predecessors. And from what we were shown at Gamescom, only the strong and wanted DNA strains were brought along. To prove that <em>ArcaniA</em> is still very much a Gothic game, Jowood even promises the return of iconic NPCs such as Lester and Diego. And with no less than seven unique factions to piss off or impress, there is plenty of trouble to be found too.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99493-arcania-gothic-4-preview.html">10 years Gamebanshee, rejoice!</a></p>

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If I had any hopes that it's going to be a good game - they're gone now -_-

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So, they're targeting the "hardcore RPG audience" (whilst adding in loads of Oblivion-style hand-holding), decided that they should put it on consoles to accomplish that, and then rebooted it because consolefags never played the first 3 Gothic games?

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
If I would rage about all the rageable bullshit in this preview it would take all day.
But I have to go into a Bierzelt in a few hours so I won't do it.

Gothic is dead. Rest in peace :salute:

Archibald

Arcane
Wtf with all these faggots claiming that they are targeting hardcore rpg fans. Is it new marketing strategies? Mainstream gamers want to be hardcore so they`ll buy this game in hopes that they`ll become hardcore? WTF IS THIS SHIT.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks good. If I buy this one I might actually play past the first 5 minutes. Maybe I should give gothic 2 another chance though, I know i have it around here somewhere.

zeitgeist

Magister
Archibald said:
Wtf with all these faggots claiming that they are targeting hardcore rpg fans. Is it new marketing strategies? Mainstream gamers want to be hardcore so they`ll buy this game in hopes that they`ll become hardcore? WTF IS THIS SHIT.
Basically yes. Hardcore is being used as a marketing buzzword that plays on people's sense of self-worth and the need to belong, and to define themselves as better than the majority. This wouldn't be surprising or anything given that the same kind of marketing is used in a lot of industries (take audiophiles for example), but what makes it especially ridiculous is that pretty much any kid with a console thinks of himself as a hardcore gamer nowadays, and the labels have lost their meaning entirely (if they ever had it in the first place).

bhlaab

Erudite
I love this sort of marketing doublespeak

"Of course it's the same Gothic you know and love! Now let us explain in detail how we threw everything that made the series what it is into the garbage"

Luzur

Good Sir
you can only be hardcore if you are born before 1990, and know how to load CRPG's from 5,25 discs, so adding in lots of shit in my Gothic games does not change a thing.

and its going to be out on console too? not even close to "hardcore".

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Luzur said:
you can only be hardcore if you are born before 1980, and know how to load stuff from audio-casettes, so adding in lots of shit in my Gothic games does not change a thing.

and its going to be out on console too? not even close to "hardcore".

fixed

Well, I don't know why Spellbound is creating this new addition. not only except legend of Sherwood and maybe Desprados, they don't have any major successful game, they have no XP in creating RPG's. I am really worried about the quality of this game...
And why they are creating this for consoles? wasn't Risen on 360 a failure?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Did you ask Ferdosi for permission, before you requested an account? I'm just asking because I didn't want to piss him off.

Lumpy

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
One example given of such a barrier was a bridge guarded by a bunch of thugs not willing to let you pass unless you carry out some jobs for them.
Oh, and you can bet said bridge connects two well-garrisoned towns of the same kingdom, yet none of the guards notices that their kingdom is completely split in half my a bunch of bandits.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Did you ask Ferdosi for permission, before you requested an account? I'm just asking because I didn't want to piss him off.
Well, I didn't ask his permission, but I'm sure he'll be happy ( at leastI hope so ) to have an awesome guy like me as his apprentice. :smug:

Morkar Left

From a technical point of view I expect them to deliver better quality than Piranha Bytes are being able to do. And I expect Arcania will sell better than Risen because of its streamlining. But I´m definitely not interested in the game after reading about the changes that are not optional.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
What technical problems did Risen have?

Imho that is simply the best looking, well optimized arpg the rpg devs graced us in the last years.

Morkar Left

Risen is probably the most bugfree game from PB. But Models etc. look a bit weird (eg. hands). But I can´t judge too much there because I only played the demo. PB has always released somehow crude, unpolished games (bugs, interface) but overall with excellent atmosphere and gameplay.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Heh, I had way less technical problems with Risen compared to "AAA" trash like Oblivion or Failout 3 which crashed regularly and required messing with codecs. Also, they had shitty character models too and it didn't hurt the reception.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
There was this game breaking but with some NVidia cards where, at the sunset, the world was covered with some kind of fog and you couldn't see nothing. It was pretty annoying.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
Kosmonaut said:
There was this game breaking but with some NVidia cards where, at the sunset, the world was covered with some kind of fog and you couldn't see nothing. It was pretty annoying.

But was fixed pretty soon, afaik.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom