Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mass Effect 3 - Shepard is Our Only Hope

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Quilty said:
How the fuck did they get away with calling the main character Shepard? It's almost as retarded as calling him LEADAR instead of Leader. I guess you can't tell a story to the consoletards unless the plot is retardedly obvious: HE IS LIKE JESUS. HE SAVES. $50 PLOX.

FUCK YOU GOETHE THIS IS THE 21TH CENTURY WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINk

ADAPT OR SHUT THE FUCK UP DICKWEED

HELL :yeah:

SHEPERD IS HERE FAGGOTS GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WYA

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
oneself said:
Despite the urgency, he will still have time for some mass effect romance
Freelance Henchman said:
Can you imagine the rage if Shepard had so little time to get the saving done that there wouldn't even be an opportunity to snog Tali in the engine room?
Normandy still takes time to get anywhere, and the crew may organise an orgy whenever they want, since nobody can prove anything due to the ship's awesome stealth technology.

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
There better be an option to romance a Reaper. Convince it of the error of the "organic life is inherently flawed and we are the pinnacle of evolution" mindset with some good ol' Shepard lovin'.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
StrangeCase said:
The first Mass Effect had these weird dreams whenever you found ancient beacons. IMO, they were reasonably well done; freaky, distorted, really vague.
It was cool the first time. After the 4th viewing or so it got a bit old.

CrimHead said:
That was actually one of the better scenes in Mass Effect. Sovereign sounds like a Lovecraftian creation. "you simply don't understand" is, like in Lovecraft, a valid plot device if used correctly.
That's a pretty big if, since Bioware used it really, really badly. Also, a real Lovecraftian wouldn't actually TALK to you in the first place, let alone repeat "YOU CANNOT COMPREHEND!" half a dozen times in a row. That scene had some of the most horrible writing to ever come out of Bioware.

Korgan

Arbiter
The Reapers are the most boring and fake "cosmic horror" imaginable. Period. Maybe they should've put in some real Elder Gods, that would've worked better.

Quilty

Magister
Drakron said:
Quilty said:
How the fuck did they get away with calling the main character Shepard? It's almost as retarded as calling him LEADAR instead of Leader. I guess you can't tell a story to the consoletards unless the plot is retardedly obvious: HE IS LIKE JESUS. HE SAVES. $50 PLOX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Vide ... #Criticism

Fucking shit. I liked gaming better when it was just about obscure D&D titles and Infocom games. At least back then this kind of crap didn't happen.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
StrangeCase said:
The first Mass Effect had these weird dreams whenever you found ancient beacons. IMO, they were reasonably well done; freaky, distorted, really vague. Set up the Reapers fairly effectively.
yeah, someone at bioware must have seen genocyber and thought that kind of thing is a neat idea.

godsend1989

Scholar
Sheppard is the one and only human who haves good connections over many races and a high leadership isn't that obvious ?!?!? :retarded:

StrangeCase

Educated
Korgan said:
The Reapers are the most boring and fake "cosmic horror" imaginable. Period. Maybe they should've put in some real Elder Gods, that would've worked better.

The thing is, though, genuine Lovecraftian horrors don't make for good video game antagonists. They can't even be understood, much less overcome, and their power lies in two things: the sheer vastness of their mystery, and their ability to make the protagonists seem small, insignificant, and powerless. Even when humans seem to triumph, say, in "The Dunwich Horror", they are still left with many more questions than answers.

That wouldn't work for Mass Effect. It's a space opera game with clear good guys and clear bad guys and a hero who makes something awesome happen every time he clicks his mouse (or is that Dragon Age II hype? I can't keep it all straight anymore.) It's not a game about subtlety or dread. That's why their "Lovecraft-inspired" bad guy is a giant robot space cockroach who essentially just says "I'm so evil I'm gonna eat you" but a lot more pretentiously, in a voice that sounds like a 14 year-old boy experimenting with a voice modulator and an oscillating fan.

Mojobeard

Augur
Having to buy your equipment in ME two is silly I agree, but...

ME2 is basically James Bond in space and you guys are questioning the bad guy's motives? :lol:

EvilIndie

Educated
I can't believe they came up with an even dumber idea than the previous dumb ideas.

They should have just gotten Samuel L. Jackson to voice Shephard and called it ME3: Snakes on a spaceship.

Space just got a whole lot bigger and blacker!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
ok9bm9.gif

The Reapers are a dumb idea because they reduce any thought about your actions to "Well those things are going to kill everything so it makes sense to fight them". If it was about a struggle of empires there could at least be some choice.

Oaken

Novice
Quilty said:

It worked for Jesus Christ Denton.

CrimHead

Scholar
The thing is, though, genuine Lovecraftian horrors don't make for good video game antagonists. They can't even be understood, much less overcome, and their power lies in two things: the sheer vastness of their mystery, and their ability to make the protagonists seem small, insignificant, and powerless. Even when humans seem to triumph, say, in "The Dunwich Horror", they are still left with many more questions than answers.

This is a good point. Upon reflection I think the incredibility of the reapers isn't their vague motives, but the fact that they can be killed at all considering what they are.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Mojobeard said:
ME2 is basically James Bond in space and you guys are questioning the bad guy's motives? :lol:
Well someone thought that James Bond villainy-level was Lovecraftian :smug:

(sorry CrimHead ;) )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom