Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mass Effect 3 - Shepard is Our Only Hope

Project: Eternity
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Heh, look what I found going through the image folder

1279584443458.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Clockwork Knight said:
commie said:
Brother None said:
We're evil because we're evil.

Hurray!

What's the difference between this and every necromancer/dragon/warlock that wants to destroy the world and kill everything? I always thought that whole thing was a pretty pointless exercise.

Well, these are usually tring to do it out of revenge, or trying to please a higher being to serve them in the afterlife, or just because of the lulz. The Reapers are apparently doing it because of a rational plan, only they won't tell you.

I understand why they'd pull an Irenicus and not bother explaining their shit to you, because who the fuck does that, right, but you could at least have another way of finding out (I initially thought the beacons were supposed to do that).

Using the beacons for that should have been the most obvious of the options for competently merging lore and story. The worst option is to reveal both the villain and their motivation at the same time. The standard course is to reveal the villain either early or in the middle, and their motivation somewhere from middle to end (depending on how early the villain was established) - i.e. audience is 100% certain that the player character will both win and survive, and you aren't going to defy either of those beliefs. Hence the villain will inevitably lose, and so you need something like 'what are his motivations' or 'what is in the mcguffin' to keep stringing the player along. But Bioware wanted an atmosphere of mystery to surround the beacons and villains, so the villain is largely 'on ice' for 95% of the game - you don't even get to interact with his subordinate, Saren, to any large extent. That could have been effective if the motivations were revealed to an unknowing player during the Beacon bits, with them making sense once the nature of the villain is revealed.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Jim Cojones said:
I think nine million is supposed to be a number of people killed in London and the surrounding areas alone which would make more sense. The narrator mentions the number first and later states that there are reports from the others cities too. But whatever was the intention of writers, Bio deserves to be criticised for that line. It isn't clearly stated if it's only local or global casualties count and a viewer is obviously expecting the latter because at the beginning it's not even mentioned where does it take place while the news about the trailer naturally state that reapers are invading whole Earth.
Not to mention that if you want to picture the sudden attack by an unknown, impossible and overwhelming foe, you don't show people fighting it, or even doing anything except panic and try to helplessly escape from it. I shall shamelessly use this opportunity to post how Alan Moore opens up to a single superhuman marching from an orphanage to downtown London:

MM15-p01.jpg

MM15-p02.jpg

MM15-p03.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom