Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

new skyrim info (oxm uk)

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alexandros said:
This is clearly gamebryo. New engine my ass.

The way a game looks depends on the artists, not the engine.

Andhaira

Arcane
From the screenshot of the troll it seems like the animations will suck ass again.

Tho I could be wrong.

The rendering is very much Gamebryo in style. Even if they didn't just use a heavily modified version of Gamebryo, they still ended up with the same crappy visual flaws of Gamebryo. Now that is an achievement Bethesda

I'm very reassured to see most of you unimpressed. :love:

Keep the hate alive! :salute:

spoiler: game will promise lots, deliver far less, be "good for what it is" without mods; with mods, it will be decent.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Don't like the weapon perks: why would an axe wound cause any more bleeding then a sword wound?

Why the hell would a mace suddenly start ignoring armor if you got more skillful with it?

Nael

Arcane
Sergiu64 said:
Don't like the weapon perks: why would an axe wound cause any more bleeding then a sword wound?

Playing the Devil's Advocate here.

I would assume because an axe is more weighted and would therefore make a deeper cut than a sword.

Why the hell would a mace suddenly start ignoring armor if you got more skillful with it?

Striking with a mace on the bevel of a suit of armor would crush it in towards the body the person wearing the armor. You can't do that with a blade. At least not as easily. In otherwords the mace provides a much larger footprint in the transfer of energy because of it's larger face than the smaller edge of a blade.

DraQ

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Zeus said:
It cracks me up how people are calling dragons "lore rape." Look, in in Elder Scrolls games, dragons are monsters believed to be killed off long ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're civilised to a point, helped the Empire during wars (seen in Redguard) in exchange for shelter, and generally get on pretty well with the people of Tamriel.

TES is not and never was limited to the empire's civilized dragons. Codex cannot into different factions.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Tosh_Raka
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Alduin

The latter (and his minions) are the dragons in Skyrim.
The problem is that the only reasonable conclusion one may draw from TES mythology is that the latter and Akatosh are essentially different, culturally distorted interpretations of the exact same being.

Ever since Redguard dragons were established to be allies and sacred beings in the Empire. They were also established to be rare, and given that dragons tend to live fucking long, would be unlikely to suddenly change their disposition towards the Empire, while their numbers essentially precludes entire, previously unmentioned factions near the root of the Empire (Cyrodiil might be Empire's heart, but Skyrim is its root). It would also be reasonable from their POV to attempt to preserve and restore what's left of the Empire, because being a sacred ally is pretty safe and convenient, while having fucking long lifespan means you can afford to plan ahead.

Since in the herpaderp that was Oblivious it was established that Akatosh actually cared (regardless of any conflicting lore), there is only one thing an observant person can infer from recent information regarding TES V Rimjob:

Toddler and his inept crew decided to cave in under the collective weight of cool introduced by every single shitty mod that had you fight dragons and further distend lore's bleeding asshole in pursuit of some easy $. And that's one of the reasons why TES is doomed to suck ever since oblivious infused it with its taint.

And good combat? :lol: Niggas please. It's quite possible that the combat will actually be improvement over the putrid crap we were served in oblivious. It's likely it will be less clunky than Morrowind's implementation. However, woe upon anyone gullible enough to actually believe, against collected weight of the entire series so far, that TES may have good combat.
I'll be frank - if you're planing to buy a TES game entirely because you expect combat to be any good, then you're a retard.

piydek

Cipher
I hope Skyrim will be OK to play, but I don't have much hope after Oblivion. Still, i root for Bethesda, since it's in my interest to be able to get a playable game and not to shit over some game - I'll have that pleasure one way or the other, always plenty of shitty games out.

Having said that - damn, those screenshots look discouraging! And they do have merit despite being only screenshots because we already know combat will suck, story will suck, dialogues will suck and there'll be no C&C. So the only thing i hope for is interesting world, with nice art design, something nice to roam around and explore. But these screenshots bore me to death. It looks exactly the same like Oblivion. Same unimaginative crap. The "cave" screenshot made me vomit.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ said:
The problem is that the only reasonable conclusion one may draw from TES mythology is that the latter and Akatosh are essentially different, culturally distorted interpretations of the exact same being.

I disagree that it's the only reasonable conclusion. It's also perfectly reasonable to conclude that the two ended up getting conflated as time passed but are, in fact, distinct beings. TES is rather notorious for having contradicting or outright false historical records (just like real life)

Ever since Redguard dragons were established to be allies and sacred beings in the Empire.

Every single dragon on nirn? If not, it's pointless to bring them up. In all likelyhood these dragons are Alduin's minions and have nothing to do with the empire's dragons. Alternately, it's possible that Alduin himself can take command of them against their will (if the player can, I'd imagine a dragon god shouldn't have much trouble). I hope they don't go with the latter, but if they did it still wouldn't be lore rape.

Just because you don't like what's going on doesn't mean Toddler fucked the lore up the ass (and even if he had, every TES fucks some of the previous games' lore up the ass so it's hardly unexpected at this point).

Horod

Novice
As was implied earlier, it's likely that not only agility, but all stats have been removed completely.

Why? Because there's been absolutely no mention of them besides the explicit remark that agility is not included, and more importantly because the information is that upon levelling up, you are able to choose which "bar" to advance out of three, which I assume are stamina, mana and fatigue. That's already 50% of what stats used to do, occurring where you used to choose your stat advancements.

There's also been no mention of star signs, and the fact that the skills themselves are now constellations in a night sky menu tells me they're cut as well. Since there's no more classes (although classes were just formalities in previous games), I assume the only initial thing you choose about your character is their race, sex and appearance.

Gerrard

Arcane
Will it look better than Morrowind with all this "New Shit"?

The new MGE can even add full dynamic shadows for everything. Wouldn't it be funny if Skyrim still didn't have those?

That's Morrowind? Impressive, even though there are obvious camera tricks going on there.

A little depressing to see how small it is though. I remember when someone did the view distance hack for U9. The entire world would fit within the area shown in that screenshot probably.

DraQ

Arcane
piydek said:
Oh yeah, also, can't wait to see a Bethesda-animated dragon :lol:
You can always pester someone for oblivious saves prior to MQ's conclusion.

Mastermind said:
DraQ said:

I disagree that it's the only reasonable conclusion. It's also perfectly reasonable to conclude that the two ended up getting conflated as time passed but are, in fact, distinct beings. TES is rather notorious for having contradicting or outright false historical records (just like real life)
TES is also notorious for having no word-of-god (at least not until oblivious) and having all documents and lore represent contemporary mortal PoVs, including all expected distortions, limited scope and whatnot.

Having single draconic god of time, distorted and simplified in different ways by different religions is consistent with lore being greater than sum of all views on it. Having multiple gods of time, all inexplicably draconic and so on runs into quite a few problems:
-how are you going to have multiple, geographically and culturally limited, *existing* gods of something universal, like time?
-why do these gods inexplicably share major attributes?
-why does this not apply to just single deities but entire pantheons?
-if those similarities don't reflect common source of different religions, but some other regularity, then why are there religions that are clearly recognizable as non-homologous?

Single Akatosh/Alkosh/Alduin/etc. (who might not necessarily be the original deity and might actually not even be alive in conventional manner as implied by certain peculiarities of TES creation myths) imperfectly and incompletely reflected by religions of stupid mortals who don't even know what they don't know and worship him in different ways as required by their religions which are themselves mortal constructs fits very well with TES recurrent themes - sources are fallible, lore is bigger than its reflections in written and spoken sources, mortals don't know shit.

Multiple mirrored pantheons being in fact different groups, each with its own Akatosh, somehow simultaneously covering the same universal aspects of reality, somehow being simultaneously, but exclusively involved in creation of the universe make no sense and don't fit TES themes at all - with lore being less than sum of its descriptions and mortals actually knowing stuff better.

Every single dragon on nirn? If not, it's pointless to bring them up.
No, but due to their rarity there is simply no chance of entire hostile faction of dragons turning up out of nowhere. It makes no sense. Maybe if bethesduh wasn't guilty of oblivious I'd give them the benefit of doubt, but after oblivion I will just heed my gut feeling that what seems crap is, in fact, crap.

Just because you don't like what's going on doesn't mean Toddler fucked the lore up the ass (and even if he had, every TES fucks some of the previous games' lore up the ass so it's hardly unexpected at this point).
Well, no. There is a world of difference between inviting the lore to a romantic dinner, then giving it an orgasm of its life and knocking it in the head in dark alley then leaving it in a dumpster - unconscious, partially disrobed and with bleeding anus.

Prior to oblivious, the alterations to lore were invariably of the former kind. Even the dragon break retcon, although decidedly kinky, would qualify.

Oblivious taught me to expect later and what's happening now really does look like textbook assault & rape, even though it could technically turn out to just be some seriously twisted case of willing BDSM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom