Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many more sequels will the industry pump out?

Arcanoix

Scholar
Witcher 2, Divinity 2, DA2, ME3, Diablo 3, DS3, SC2, I mean FUCK COME ON PEOPLE I AM SICK OF SEEING FUCKING SEQUELS! TWO games have done things original with no need for sequel potential. Alpha Protocol and Heavy Rain. Is the industry really running out of ideas for settings? UGH.

Sorry. Insomnia has taken hold on me this evening as I stare out into a frozen wasteland that I am going to be trapped in for at least another 2-4 years, and by then IT may be too late...

made

Arcane
If the industry has learned anything from Hollywood it's that sequels sell. Better get used to the idea.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Since AAA games require rather large investments in both time and money, publishers don't want original IP's, because they could possibly flop. History has shown that sequels to games that sold well almost always sell well too, so you're unlikely to see many new IP's as long as the old ones are still making money.

Sannom

Augur
Thank god for Bethesda then I suppose. As a developer, they only do sequels, but as an editor, they only have original IPs coming up.

I like sequels, I just don't like shit games.

There is a difference.

The potential in game sequels these days is typically wasted in the drive for highest earnings, but they are a much different affair than say movie sequels, which are restrained much more in what they can change.

torpid

Liturgist
Sequels are good, and there have always been sequels; this isn't something new. Some of the best games have been sequels. The problem, as Excommunicator said, is sequels to bad games.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Personally, I love sequels. If I liked a game, chances are I'll like its sequel unless it's utterly dumbed down.

I liked Age of Empires. AoE2 was an improvement in almost all areas of the game.

I like the Total War series. Even though Empire is buggy and has a crappy AI, I like it. I like the whole series.

I liked Fallout. Fallout 2 was basically more of the same, which is a good thing.

I like the Elder Scrolls games. Daggerfall was awesome, so was Morrowind. Oblivion was a huge disappointment but at least it brought forth some good mods (Nehrim). I do like the gameplay principles of the series so even if Skyrim sucks almost as hard as Oblivion, I'll be able to squeeze some enjoyment out of it.

I liked Thief. It was a great stealth game. I liked Thief 2 even more.

See the pattern? If there's a good game, and you like it, there's no fucking reason in the world why a sequel to that game would be bad. Yes, we have the example of Oblivion in there, which is a shit sequel, but at least it could be salvaged by mods.

What would you rather have? A world without Thief 2, Fallout 2, Elder Scrolls 2 and 3, the whole Ultima, Wizardry and M&M series, but with the chance that sequels such as Deus Ex 2, Ultima 9 or Elder Scrolls 4 are released...

...or a world where there are no sequels at all and thus no chance for sucky setting-rape sequels?

I gladly take the chance for shit sequels if I also can get awesome sequels like Thief 2 or the whole fucking Wizardry series.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Jools said:
How many more sequels will the industry pump out?

As many as the consolefags will buy.

Yeah, the PC is an oasis of original IPs. No sequels there. No siree.

Plus as others have mentioned, sequels arent really an issue - its the quality of the sequels that are sometimes cause for concern.

Arcanoix

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
What would you rather have? A world without Thief 2, Fallout 2, Elder Scrolls 2 and 3, the whole Ultima, Wizardry and M&M series, but with the chance that sequels such as Deus Ex 2, Ultima 9 or Elder Scrolls 4 are released..

Yes but see, that age of sequels came from the early 2000's, this era of sequels sucks. Big time. Since 2005! The sequels of the 90's were entirely different. Now $equels are nothing more than dollar signs. Someday when Bethesderp or EA gets hold of the Planescape license, you will understand. . . . :(

As many as the consolefags will buy.

Heavy Rain wasn't too fucking bad, thank you very much. I was a big cynic of it then when I actually played it through, I came to the conclusion that it was a 10 hour interactive movie - sure the gameplay was shit, BUT - the C&C WAS there. . . The prequel DLC chapter was garbage, but it would've made a decent demo. I guess I'm with Annie's old comment about console RPG's - if done right - they, the consoletards, can be enlightened.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Arcanoix said:
Heavy Rain wasn't too fucking bad, thank you very much. I was a big cynic of it then when I actually played it through, I came to the conclusion that it was a 10 hour interactive movie - sure the gameplay was shit, BUT - the C&C WAS there. . . The prequel DLC chapter was garbage, but it would've made a decent demo. I guess I'm with Annie's old comment about console RPG's - if done right - they, the consoletards, can be enlightened.

I am just bitter that it didn't get released on PC, really. I loved Fahrenheit, and I was craving for more interactive movie thing. Sad times for me.

My comment was kinda ironic, anyway (ok, irony fail).

spectre

Arcane
What's the current count on Final Fantasy?
Guess that explains the OP question.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Excommunicator said:
I like sequels, I just don't like shit games.
This.

Also, OP and some other posts make it sound like sequels are this completely new phenomenon in gaming. Ultima 2, Wizardry 2, Apventure 2... all these are more than 25 years old. And some were better than the original, some were not, exactly the same situation we have today.

racofer

Thread Incliner
ME3 will be Bioware's last game so two less sequels to worry about (ME and DA).

Other than that I don't really mind since I don't play half of those games anyway.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
spectre said:
What's the current count on Final Fantasy?

Two. They made at most one sequel. For example sequel of FF X was FF X-2.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
You know you want some badly written gay mook bromance storyline in your Wizardry.
A T'rang and Umpani bromance maybe? :smug:

Throw in a Rapax for an awesome threesome :smug: :smug: :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom