Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just got a new system...need some modern RPG reccomendations

1eyedking

Erudite
Eh, I can agree The Witcher can be boring to people who don't care about a game's art direction (writing, make-believe, world design, lore, coherence, overall feel), but man, F3:NV was mediocre in every way.

Totally forgettable game.

Eyeball

Arcane
1eyedking said:
Eh, I can agree The Witcher can be boring to people who don't care about a game's art direction (writing, make-believe, world design, lore, coherence, overall feel), but man, F3:NV was mediocre in every way.

Oh, but I DO care about those things, and TW did a decent job on them (although the art direction was pretty standard fantasy fare as far as I could see), but it simply hid the good story bits behind so much filler combat and the combat system was a dull clickfest with little variation or choice. Add to that the extremely long loading times, poor coding and annoying insertion of fan service sex scenes and I simply could not get myself to play it for that long.

PST had the same issue with crappy combat, but at least it had the decency to make 95% of it entirely skippable so you could focus on writing, world design, lore, coherence and feel.

1eyedking

Erudite
If you really did care about those things you wouldn't have found The Witcher boring at all, trust me (check link in my sig, search YouTube for its soundtrack, read the journal entries, etc.).

And it's not like the filler combat is that bad, or at least not as bad as Dragon Age's.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

Fallout: New Vegas

Dragon Age: Origins (not that good, but almost decent)

jhggh

sser

Arcane
Developer
Konjad said:
sser said:
There are also a lot of games on the horizon, too. Diablo 3, Deus Ex:HR, Skyrim, and I believe Dark Souls is coming to the PC.

Too bad there's no cRPGs on the horizon, except Twitcher 2.

And who the fuck is such a miserable and retarded person to play Skyrim after what has been done to the Oblivion? The same people are making SKyrim, who is such a dumbfuck to decide to play Skyrim?

I think Oblivion is a steaming pile of shit green meadow simulator, and Skyrim probably will be too, but it's worth suggesting. I also forgot Risen 2 and the next Witcher although that's already almost here. I guess Dark Souls is not coming out on PC, btw. I could have sworn it was, but I guess not. My bad.

Mortmal

Arcane
You may not like oblivion , however its worth installing for nehrim mod at least. Also fallout new vegas is fantastic, best rpg since arcanum i still say it dont be fooled by the few retards claiming otherwise when it was out the vast majority of codexers enjoyed it. Dragon age origins is worth getting too, avoid DA2 even here everyone agree its terrible. Risen, the witcher and obviously witcher 2 when its out.
If you have a new sytem you should not cater to rpgs as youll rarely use your machine, i suggest dawn of war 2 , crysis 2, portal 2, for some entertainement .

Rogue

Educated
sgc_meltdown said:
Congratulations, your system is now capable of running Mask of the Betrayer smoothly on the seminal Aurora engine.

I'm in the process of replaying NWN2. i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, HD6970, 16GB RAM. It runs smoothly @ max. resolution and AA only if I turn the shadows off :P

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
1eyedking said:

1eyedking said:
If you really did care about those things you wouldn't have found The Witcher boring at all, trust me (check link in my sig, search YouTube for its soundtrack, read the journal entries, etc.).

And it's not like the filler combat is that bad, or at least not as bad as Dragon Age's.

Stop being a shithead. The feel? What does that even mean? I don't care about your feelings. What the fuck does feeling has to do with coherence anyway? I'm supposed to be rationally convinced that the Witcher should touch my sensibility? What the fuck is this? Man I didn't know you were such an aesthetic retard. Now I don't think art is subjective entirely, we can discuss art, and art is meant to convey something between individuals, so it surely isn't restricted to hermetic subjectivity. But I wouldn't say NV is artistically barren and "mediocre in every way". I'm not saying it was incredible, but then the Witcher was far from incredible too (Why the witcher is an Intelligent Game, yes yes). Both games have an artistic vision that's worth considering. Both are hardly masterpieces. Not sure why you're being anal about this. If you compared F3 to Twticher, I would agree without making a fuss, but those kind of blunt hyperboles do not pass the check of the brain police (r00fles!)

Green Fairy

Novice
Right.

Iirc Planescape Torment had lousy combat and fairly good writing. So, I'll recommend The Witcher for the same reasons, even though they're not the same breed. FYI: gog.com (which sells game downloads + extras with no DRM attached) is doing a dirt-cheap The Witcher sale coming Tuesday.

The Witcher 2 so far looks like it's going to be pretty good, so you might want to get that game when it comes out in 10 or so days or do the smart thing and wait a while longer for bugs and shit to get ironed out and reviews and LPs to come in. They've got a fair bunch of game footage (and dev diaries, if you care) up already, so yeah.

Dragon Age: Origins ain't good - the graphics, the combat, and the writing all need help - but it sorta comes close to being decent, and some would say it does have its moments, so if you're feeling nostalgic for high fantasy RPGs or like mods/modding, getting the vanilla version at the bargain bin prices is an option. Just do yourself a favor and avoid any expansion/follow-up content (so do NOT get the ultimate edition). Outside the vanilla DAO, all of the Dragon Age franchise, without exception, is pure shit.

7hm

Scholar
A better computer just means you can run more dosbox games at the same time. Or really pimp out Morrowind.

Fuck new rpgs.

Cassidy

Arcane
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Drakensang: The River of Time
Risen
The Witcher

Stay clear from Bioware and from any Obsidian game released after NWN2:MOTB, you won't regret ignoring them.

Can't directly vouch for Knights of the Chalice, King's Bounty: Armored Princess, Divine Divinity 2 or Torchlight because I never played any of them, but according to the Codexers who played them, they are mostly good ones too, and if skyway doesn't rant about them... it means they definitively won't be a disappointment :M

Dionysus

Scholar
Just play the new Obsidian games, like Mask of the Betrayer and New Vegas. And try Alpha Protocol. You can probably pick it up for 5$ now.

And give the Witcher a shot, but don't expect it to be much of an RPG. And since I'm recommending games that are barely RPGs, try Mass Effect 2 if you find it cheap. Playing as a bad-ass female Shepard is fun IMO.

I don't understand the fascination with NWN2; that game just bored me to tears. The story was cliche and the combat was uninspired. I think I played it for an hour, maybe two. I keep thinking about giving it a second chance, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
omglaserzpewpew

Quality fucking posting there bud.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom