Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

Data4

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Ulminati said:
The game has the dubious honour of being the first game I had to play on low settings on this machine. It looks more or less like oblivion with a few mods slapped on, but the framerate still drops to nearly unplayable levels in combat. For those who wank to numbers, it's a 2.8ghz intel duo core with 8gb of ram and a geforce 9600gt with 512mb ram. While the environments are more imaginative than standard space shooter #23523, there are older, prettier games that satisfy my inner graphis whore better. And they all have lower system requirements.

Lol, you have a shitty PC. Whine whine whine.

Gerrard

Arcane
Hamster said:
Ulminati said:
they make a shitload of references and namedroppings that mean nothing to me, since I didn't play Twitcher 1 or read the potato books. The journal is only of limited help here, so apparently I'm supposed to hate Nilfgaard and there's made-up elf words I'm supposed to understand. Also there's a king who got killed and for some reason I have amnesia.

Troll or not, this is a legit complaint. I have no idea how someone is supposed to fully appreciate the game without reading the books. I of course am a big fan of the books and know that, for example, bard and Zoltan are true bros, but a regular non-potato gamer will have two random characters forced oh him for unclear reasons, and thats pretty bad design.
Maybe he should, you know, play the first fucking game before playing its direct sequel.

2. What if I want to do the basic combo specifically from a moderate distance because I anticipate that the enemy is about to walk into my sword slashes? I can't. I have to do the stupid lunge, which takes just too long to do to pull of something like this.
Sure you can, if you use a strong attack. Or you can walk up. Enemies move too slow for anyone to get in range of a fast one if they were so far anyway.

3. The entire issue could have been easily avoided by making the lunge a command move executed by pressing towards the enemy and attacking. Is there any sane reason for it not to work that way?
Yeah, but that's a question you should be asking the devs.

I find it way more annoying when the lunge doesn't come out even though the enemy is far away, as not using it is as simple as not targeting far away enemies.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lesifoere said:
Ulminati said:
The game has the dubious honour of being the first game I had to play on low settings on this machine. It looks more or less like oblivion with a few mods slapped on, but the framerate still drops to nearly unplayable levels in combat. For those who wank to numbers, it's a 2.8ghz intel duo core with 8gb of ram and a geforce 9600gt with 512mb ram. While the environments are more imaginative than standard space shooter #23523, there are older, prettier games that satisfy my inner graphis whore better. And they all have lower system requirements.

OMG why does he have 8 Gb ram in his PC? It's totally useless, he should have bought a better CPU and VGA instead.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
1eyedking said:
PS: I just finished the game, and the ending was shit. What a convoluted and poorly crafted mess of a back-story for...fucking everything; and I'm *really* tired of this 'New World Order' crap, they shoveled that already in the first one, get a better plot goddammit.

What NWO? You mean the Lodge?

Arcanoix

Scholar
SPOILER ALERT: Ending Interpretation.

You were warned:

The ending is pretty much showing a lady bug on the wheel that Geralt uses to open the gates of Loc Muinne. Lady bugs come out during Spring/Summer. HOWEVER - TAKE NOTE - post-credits Geralt is walking away and it is snowing. That means The Great White Frost is coming.

END SPOILERS.

Shitty game.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Havoc said:
1eyedking said:
PS: I just finished the game, and the ending was shit. What a convoluted and poorly crafted mess of a back-story for...fucking everything; and I'm *really* tired of this 'New World Order' crap, they shoveled that already in the first one, get a better plot goddammit.

If you intend to discuss endings I suggest doing this in
FUCKING SPOILER SECTION!

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Havoc said:
1eyedking said:

I think he means the changing political map of the North and politics in general.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Gerrard said:
Hamster said:
Ulminati said:
they make a shitload of references and namedroppings that mean nothing to me, since I didn't play Twitcher 1 or read the potato books. The journal is only of limited help here, so apparently I'm supposed to hate Nilfgaard and there's made-up elf words I'm supposed to understand. Also there's a king who got killed and for some reason I have amnesia.

Troll or not, this is a legit complaint. I have no idea how someone is supposed to fully appreciate the game without reading the books. I of course am a big fan of the books and know that, for example, bard and Zoltan are true bros, but a regular non-potato gamer will have two random characters forced oh him for unclear reasons, and thats pretty bad design.
Maybe he should, you know, play the first fucking game before playing its direct sequel.

No, he is absolutely right. The first game had a shitload of journal entries to explain lore, politics and characters. The second skimps quite badly in this aspect, which is wierd since they could've just copied a lot of the entries. The bard and dwarf however not being explained I do disagree over. The journal and dialogue makes pretty clear that they're friends and have been for quite some time. Hell, most of the journal is from the pov of the bard.

It's just that the general information is presented in a rather lacklustre manner.

And a game should not assume that the player knows all the ins and outs of its backstory. Not even if it is a sequel. That's the easiest way to scare away newer players.

Oh, and Arcanois? Asshole. Use the fucking spoiler tags when describing the ending. Some people are speedreaders and pick it up even when scrolling over it.

Quilty

Magister
Frau Bishop said:
Ulminati said:
I honestly played through about a quarter of the game and found it a confusing mess that failed to entertain me.
I hear ya.
Stopped playing after the Kayran encounter. Console bossfight, disable weak spots, realtime sweating action, hack&slash&run&roll. No further questions.

Maybe mods can salvage this wreck.. but hey, I guess I'd rather play some heavily modded Oblivion. They had years to create them and to patch this old wreck up.
The brave people trying to mod TW2 into something worthy of the tag "rpg" are just starting their huge quest.
Godspeed!

Christ, this.

As it stands, it's a pretty good (high?) fantasy Tomb Raider clone with a story, but it's miles below the original. I'm sorry I wasted money on this.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Jeasun, make a poll. Last time I did a impression poll... I sucked. :(

grotsnik

Arcane
Gah. I really enjoyed the vast majority of Act 1, but everything began to unravel for me around Act 2. It just felt as if much less time had been spent on those little details, on character motivations, on the characters themselves...

And now the third act city is literally a city of doors. An ancient, towering citadel made up of narrow corridors piled up with rubble and one-foot barriers. Not good.

Which makes your allies' hilarious trick of asking you to follow them, then slamming each and every door in your face just as you get to them all the more annoying. Arseholes.

made

Arcane
Lulz they have all those categories for the inventory and it actually does work rather well (for a console UI) except there's no filter for junk items. Have fun selling off the vendor trash you pick up while auto-looting every single house in town...

Is there are a "sell junk" button I'm missing or sth?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
J_C said:
Lesifoere said:
Ulminati said:

OMG why does he have 8 Gb ram in his PC? It's totally useless, he should have bought a better CPU and VGA instead.

Quite. 8 GB RAM paired with... a Core2Duo and a 9600GT 512 MB. Well done.

a budda

Arbiter
the more i play it the more i miss w1
instead of beautiful slavic countryside and myths and folk stories we get "uberawesome dark epic gritty fantasy"
the spirit of sapkowski's novels is gone...

it clearly stinks of "let's make a better dragon age" and "wouldn't it be awesome"

pero

Novice
It's all so fucking "epic". Big battles everywhere (the least enjoyable way to experience the game's combat, I should add), a story that flip flops all over the place, quests inside quests inside quests. It's tiresome.

One of the best things about the original was that it let the player dictate the pace. This one really, really doesn't.

Black_Willow

Arcane
a budda said:
instead of beautiful slavic countryside and myths and folk stories we get "uberawesome dark epic gritty fantasy"
Quite the contrary - it is like Sapkowski's novels, with wars, EPIC battles, politics and crap.
TW1 was more like short stories.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Black_Willow said:
a budda said:
Quite the contrary - it is like Sapkowski's novels, with wars, EPIC battles, politics and crap.
TW1 was more like short stories.

This.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
:( doesn't sound good. Then again, this is the Codex, so I'm still looking forward to playing it. In 8 days, hopefully. I was so hyped... hm, I still am.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Not that I'm defending the twitch-based combat, but... do some of us here have rheumatic wrists or something? I've got a mild case of carpal tunnel and playing TW2 bothers me less than typing this message.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Elwro said:
:( doesn't sound good. Then again, this is the Codex, so I'm still looking forward to playing it. In 8 days, hopefully. I was so hyped... hm, I still am.

Stop listening to the haters then. Game is good. Great in my opinion. I don't care about the combat, like I didn't care about combat in Planescape: Torture Combat. And you shouldn't too. The game has some great C&C, one of the best in years. Better than AoD. :smug:
There's no great evil. No big bad boss. Just politics. Boss fights? I can count 2 that are console-like, the rest feels like a hard enemy (Letho for example).
Story and characters are great and that should be discussed, not some combat "because it's like a console!" So? Deus Ex was a FPS and is a weaker RPG than TW2.

In short: Taters gonna potater.

Mortmal

Arcane
Elwro said:

Just taking a few minutes from the game to answer, in my opinion witcher 2 is absolutely fabulous, best thing since new vegas, but i wont develop that on this thread , no point arguing with people here, its as futile as hitting my head on a brick wall.What can i say , when i play dragon age 2 a list of negative things come to mind, when i play witcher 2 i only see positive things, barely a few flaws, its not the same league at all, its comparing a child drawing with a boticelli. Its the most gorgeous game released on pc i ve seen, i am enthralled by the story, the fights are hard and challenging despite them being action, a must buy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom