Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My GalCiv2 Review

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Just wrote this thing up last night. Go here to readthe full thing. Critiques are welcome.

Galactic Civilizations II begins by holding true to its name. You can pick one of several pre-fabricated civilizations, from the familiar and diplomatic Terran Alliance (humans), to the obligatory ugly, militaristic expansionists (Drengins). Just in case neither of those appeal to you, you can create your own Civilization by picking bonuses in several categories such as Defense or Research. Each civilization will then try to control the map using the advantages, and its not all military. Its more then possible to use your Civilization's culture to get planets to defect to yourside. Get enough of the galaxy under your control and you win a culture victory. There is also an ultimate technology which by researching wins you the game, though it takes a LONG time to do so. Another method is to form an alliance with every remaining civilization. Obviously, you can always just wipe out your opponents the old fashion way if thats what you want, but it is worth it to note all of these victory conditions are achievable and persuing them offers you a different gameplay experience.

Is the gameplay markedly different from GC1 (other than custom ship modability)? As good as GC1 was I got burned out on the play dynamics eventually.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
pseudo intellectual said:
Is the gameplay markedly different from GC1 (other than custom ship modability)? As good as GC1 was I got burned out on the play dynamics eventually.

Couldn't tell you, I played the demo of GC1 and wasn't compelled by it to buy the full version. However, the dynamics seem pretty good, for a game if its type.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
I was home sick yesterday, and ended up playing GC2 for 15 hours straight something I haven't done since well, MOO2. :D

Fintilgin

Educated
pseudo intellectual said:

Similar, but expanded. I burned out on GC1 too, and relatively quickly. There's a lot more fun stuff to do in GC2, I like the planet maps for example, and it's a lot more polished, but at it's heart it's preaty similiar. Overall though it's more fun.

If you're not really sure I'd hold out a bit, there should be a demo in a month or so, and you can give it a go. In my book it's nowhere near Civ 4 for fun or addictivneess, but it's a fun little strategy game and it's growing on me.

Plus, I really like supporting good little indie companies like Stardock, so it was a definate purchase for me.

wizard

Liturgist
Somehow I just can't get into Galactic Civilizations. It feels so...confusing at times. Maybe it's just too complex. I'll just stick with Civilization.
oh and the review was good

Greatatlantic

Erudite
bryce777 said:
pursuing them.

Sounds fairly good, but I hope the cultural crap is not too pronounced.

Its a lot like Civilization's cultural borders, except planets and starships may be had in another civilization's zone of influence. However, you don't have to worry about them flipping to much unless the enemy is trying to do so. For example, you take a weak class 4 planet in a system with a much higher class planet, then there is a good chance the class 4 will flip. Now, using influence starbases can really expand you borders and if built close enough to your enemy's planets will cause them to rebel unless counter measures are employed. However, you cannot win a cultural victory while at war with somebody. Hence, if you think a civ is to big for your own good, declare war and cut them down to size.

mathboy

Liturgist
I'm thinking about buying the game, but am wondering what the ship-designing is like. I tried a game of MOO1 on easiest setting (don't dare to try anything harder) and liked it but was a bit put of by the ship-designing part of it, especially the fact that you could only have 6 different ships.

Please describe this game's ship-designer. Thank you.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
I'm going to download it (or copy, if someone I know can give me the discs in the next few days) and if I like and enjoy it after some hours of play I will buy it at fullprice. If I only like it a bit, I will wait until it is niceprice. If it sucks and it's not like MOO2 *g* I will uninstall and won't care about it anymore. Call me a pirate..har, but it's the best way I can think of for both me and the devs of the game to have a good time.

spacemoose

Erudite
From what I gather it still plays like a Civ game, and while I'd like to support an indie developer, I won't even try it because such gameplay just does not appeal to me.

I'm Still waiting for MOO3

spacemoose

Erudite
vazquez595654 said:
What is MOO1 and MOO2?

I can't believe the ignorance of some people. You haven't heard of the MOO series?

For the unwashed: MOO1 and its sequels are the greatest ranch/farm strategy games of all time. You start out with one cow and a small piece of land. Through knowing what fertilizer to use, when to let the land lie fallow, and where to let your cattle graze you make profitable sales and strategic purchases, increasing your wealth.

There are two aspects to the research - technologies and genetics. You can research technologies to get new farming implements - such as the plow, to maximize your profits. Eventually you can even get the mighty tractor! And you can research genetics to get higher quality cattle to sell for more money!

Eventually, once you've accumulated enough wealth, you can run for governor and maybe even President.

So go and get this game now!

spacemoose

Erudite
Frau Bishop said:
Spacemoose said:
I'm Still waiting for MOO3
:shock:
Do you want to buy my copy? Would be glad to get rid of it, one of the most disappointing games I ever bought right after release.

MOO3 has not been released, it has not even entered development yet. I don't know what game you're talking about, but it certainly is not MOO3 LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

P.S. MOO3 never happened

Greatatlantic

Erudite
mathboy said:
I'm thinking about buying the game, but am wondering what the ship-designing is like. I tried a game of MOO1 on easiest setting (don't dare to try anything harder) and liked it but was a bit put of by the ship-designing part of it, especially the fact that you could only have 6 different ships.

Please describe this game's ship-designer. Thank you.

Certainly. You begin by picking a Hull. You start only able to build Cargo Hulls, which have a lot of space, but only 1 HP making them worthless for combat. As you research you'll get more hull sizes, starting with Tiny then Small all the way to Huge. Each hull has so much "space", which is represented by a number such as 20 or 100. Each component such as engines, weapons, or shields takes up so much space. I think Laser V takes up 7 space, for example. However, beyond the functional components you can add as many aesthetical attachments as you want. For example, I built a mothership and added wings, attenaes with lights, etc to make it stand out and be easier to spot. Its like you can make your own models with out worrying about glue. There is no limit to the number of ship designs you can have, and you can upgrade existing designs, though it will cost you.

There is also a technology call miniarization that will allow you to fit more components on a ship.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Ship design is mucho fun, even if you're just playing around.

I always like making tiny ships with a big honking rocket launcher on them and tiny little engines on the back.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I get frustrated with the ship designer, because I can't make anything that looks even moderately cool. I'm not an aesthete, I guess. I'm made a few that were okay, but mostly I just try to keep myself from worrying about it so much.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
My first impression is.. it sucks. It's buggy like MOO3 (just check the official forums and the latest patches, which help only a bit but show how much still is wrong) and the interface is stupid like in MOO3 (just play it for some hours). Humpf... how could you guys enjoy it, what did I miss? :?

LlamaGod

Cipher
Frau Bishop said:
My first impression is.. it sucks. It's buggy like MOO3 (just check the official forums and the latest patches, which help only a bit but show how much still is wrong) and the interface is stupid like in MOO3 (just play it for some hours). Humpf... how could you guys enjoy it, what did I miss? :?

you apparently missed not being dropped on your head as a child

The interface is incredibly easy to use and handy, I think. Everything you could possibly want and need is all there without a million sub-menus.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Yeah, there's sub-menus, but so what? You don't get entirely overloaded with them and they're organized and present all the info you need. I see no problem there.

My only tiff with the interface is the slooooow scrolling, though I remedied that by simply using the mini-map to change my view.

LlamaGod

Cipher
kingcomrade said:
"Without a million sub-menus"

:roll: You've played the game, haven't you? Don't go all fanboy on us.

it's not nearly as bad as some games i've played, JERK

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom