Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My GalCiv2 Review

obediah

Erudite
Spacemoose said:
Frau Bishop said:
Spacemoose said:
I'm Still waiting for MOO3
:shock:
Do you want to buy my copy? Would be glad to get rid of it, one of the most disappointing games I ever bought right after release.

MOO3 has not been released, it has not even entered development yet. I don't know what game you're talking about, but it certainly is not MOO3 LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

P.S. MOO3 never happened

but IGN gave it a 9.0. It must be a great game. Not as good as Black & White though - the best computer game evar.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
obediah said:
but IGN gave it a 9.0. It must be a great game. Not as good as Black & White though - the best computer game evar.
Heh, jup, B&W was a great game. I still enjoy the memory of throwing stuff around, it really was a great help to decrease my frustration-level. :lol:

edit:
Wonderful, it's such an early MOO3-forum reminder.. or Dungeon Lords...hilarious!
Click and experience a disappointed customer versus superior fanboys show. I can't wait for the Oblivon forum to top it right after release. :D
http://forums.galciv2.com/?ForumID=274&AID=104426

" Its easier to be a critic than a chef."
" First retail build was very buggy, not unplayable, but very buggy. Now after the first fix the bugs are barely noticeable. And the games so good anyway."
" So, if it's so buggy why are unpatched versions getting 90%+ from almost every media review so far?"

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I've had a few crash to desktops which tend to occur only after sec=veral hours of play, and a wierd bug where some of the parts on my ship designs just disappears. But Autosave is frequent enough that the CTDs aren't to much a hassle. I'll admit the gameplay is undoubtedly complex and complicated. I played on the easier dificulties until I got the hang of it. To be honest, I haven't had any trouble with the interface. Its certainly a niche game, but does that make it a bad game? I don't think so.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Being a niche game doesn't make it a bad game. So far it's a good beta with a great concept, but that's what makes it a bad fullprice game imo. Maybe my expectations were to high. I will look into it in some months, if they make it beyond MOO3-v1.2.5 status I will be a happy customer, there are not many new 4X games to choose from after all. :(

obediah

Erudite
I had one ctd when i had a bunch of menu's open. I also noticed quite a few user interface inconsistencies (but still 1000 times better than avernum IV). There were a few annoyances with with the ship building, but I haven't really noticed anything else. I haven't gotten super dirty with the mechanics yet, so I may have experienced a bazillion bugs there I didn't notice.

It's certainly hasn't been a MOO3 for me, or a Galaxies, or a Dungeon Lords, or a KoToR II, or an Aftershock, or a Fallout 2, or a ToEE, or a.... I'm not one to go soft on buggy games either - my experience with galciv just hasn't be that terrible.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I get incredible slowdown on the tech screen, very often, for some reason. The game is fairly buggy, but it's all little stuff that doesn't hurt gameplay much. Also, while I wasn't complaining about the menus, NL, I was saying that there are very many of them. I do disagree that they give you everything you need. I have lots of trouble when units are stacked or in fleets, where I can't see their status menus or give them separate orders, or even figure out which set I have selected (because the little selection circle doesn't always point to the right unit, a fun bug).

Also, how do you set money to spy on "Minor Civilizations." I don't see a slider anywhere. Another question, do you have to keep allocating money to steal technology, or does it just do that automatically once you get to Advanced and you can turn off the spigot?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom