Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gamism vs Simulationism

What kind of fag are you?

• Total voters

Weierstraß

Learned
Project: Eternity
It is entirely possible I made that up. It was long since I read about this and I honestly can't bring myself to. The Ron Edwards texts on GNS theory is like most "theories" seemingly more focused on creating a bunch of terminology and categorization with less consideration on what use that particular description has. So I might have just appropriated the terms and given them my own meaning, but I think the important thing with any system of classification is to ask "how does it help us?", what use is it in looking at and making games?

DraQ

Arcane
You, sir, are a fucking moron.

And you, sir, have Asperger's. So that kind of strengthens my point.
Unfortunately it doesn't refute mine either.

As for the tedium, tedious actions can be automated regardless of level of abstraction.
I think the thing that made PS:T so special was how similar, yet still completely different it was from the standard high fantasy Baldur's Gate. The similarities made you appreciate the differences.
Yes, but it is of no relevance to PS:T's own merit and BG, for all its banality and badly designed combat at least had decent encounters.

You could see how the game was putting all of this weird stuff on a framework that was never really meant for it.
Which is kind of the point - yes, you can see how awkward is PS:T's seat on top of its engine every time you have to run around some area or click your way through a wall of text.

The problem is this isn't what RPGs should have, because RPGs aren't action games and should never be real-time.
Actually that's where we disagree. RPGs have much less high level complexity to work with than proper strategies. The size of a typical combat encounter in a cRPG is much closer to that in an action game, meaning the optimal balance between detail and bigger picture is about the same, cRPGs are therefore much closer to action games than to strategies regardless of their PnP roots.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Which is kind of the point - yes, you can see how awkward is PS:T's seat on top of its engine every time you have to run around some area or click your way through a wall of text.

You call it awkward, I call it novel, fascinating and very meta ( :obviously: )

Yes, but it is of no relevance to PS:T's own merit

It is absolutely relevant. PS:T was cool because it was a wacky RPG trying to break the boundaries of RPGs, not because it was a visual novel.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
It is entirely possible I made that up. It was long since I read about this and I honestly can't bring myself to. The Ron Edwards texts on GNS theory is like most "theories" seemingly more focused on creating a bunch of terminology and categorization with less consideration on what use that particular description has. So I might have just appropriated the terms and given them my own meaning, but I think the important thing with any system of classification is to ask "how does it help us?", what use is it in looking at and making games?

It doesn't seem very useful for looking at particular games, as most games will have elements of all three and identifying the particular proportion of any given game is retarded. Its more useful for looking at the players and the various ways different players will have different, and potentially conflicting, ways of playing. So its really more of an anthropological/sociological theory than a critical one.

So IMHO it will be far more useful for someone trying to run or create a game than for someone trying to play it, as its geared towards identifying the different goals different gamers will have and the ways they will potentially conflict. In other words, it gives the DM/designer a cognitive framework for thinking about the various things the players will want out of the game so that they can make an informed decision as to how (and whether) to satisfy the players desires.

But for players, identifying yourself as a gamist, simulationist or narrativist is fun, but I don't see how it enhances your ability to play or evaluate a game. For me, at least, not only are all three elements are important to varying degrees, but, for my enjoyment, there is no perfect proportion of the three. What's more important is that the various gamist, simulationist and narrativist elements of the game are well executed. I generally favor what I think are simulationist elements, but I would rather play predominantly "gamist" game in which gamist elements are well-executed than an adequately executed simulationist game. And even in a well executed simulationist-oriented game, I would prefer that there be well-executed gamist and narrativist components as well.

MMXI

Arcane
Actually that's where we disagree.
Yes. I'm aware of that.

RPGs have much less high level complexity to work with than proper strategies. The size of a typical combat encounter in a cRPG is much closer to that in an action game, meaning the optimal balance between detail and bigger picture is about the same, cRPGs are therefore much closer to action games than to strategies regardless of their PnP roots.
Well this depends on what you judge the high level complexity of strategy and action games to be. I'd imagine RPGs are somewhere in the middle and not necessarily closer to action games, but even this is beside the point. With just a single character and very simplistic mechanics I'd still consider some sort of turn-based or phase-based gameplay to be a "necessity". The reasons are precisely because of the PnP roots, which basically reflect my belief that the player should always be able to issue precise orders, with no "I wanted to swing my weapon an inch to the left" or "I wanted to attack a fraction of a second earlier".

Alex

Arcane
Actually, while I hold PS:T in great esteem, I'd say it failed at being a *computer* RPG.

Pretty much all this game had to offer to a player could be just as easily conveyed by CYOA book, character sheet, some illustrations and an audio player.

All the remaining stuff boiled down to:
-annoying running around simulator.
-annoying and shitty IE combat.
-impressive, but primitive animations.

The last one was noninteractive and could be supplanted by adding a video player to our list of PS:T playing provisions. No computer necessary.

Well, if you think this is important, I do agree that there is little computational power needed to make te RPG elements of PS:T run. And I guess you could consider whether this is the case for different games and classify them according. But wherever they end up in the scale, all computer RPGs, Fighting Fantasy gamebooks and what not share the property they are games based on the principles of role playing games and that they are played alone. Of this set of games, PS:T comes closest to providing a narrativist experience, I think.

Indeed, but RL also doesn't understand a story, yet it doesn't prevent it from being the greatest source of them.
Our minds evolved to make sense of events in the context of our environments and other events. We naturally craft stories out of series of events bound by RL logic and even invented stories featuring completely fantastic settings tend to feature very similar kind of logic. If computer can to some extent run even a crude and coarse simulation of such logic, then it won't have to understand what makes a story - it will be the player, who will act, react, and make stories out of ensuing events.

That would certainly be nice, but this mode of game only works if your creative agenda is simulationistic. There was a lot of muddkling of the terms, but sim,nar and gamm are about what kind of narrative you want out of the game. I use the term narrative here for two reasons. First, a real story, the kind you will read in a fiction book, with a beginning, middle, and end, that goes somewhere, with a theme, a crescendo and a climax. All that stuff, not all RPGs want that kind of thing. Making this kind of story, together, between the players (the GM counts as a player here) is the objective of narrativists. But other kinds of game are about different types of narrative. A gamist narrative is instead about impacting each other. Making up the most scary monster you can think to the other player and let him interact with it, or coming up with the smartest plan you can think, etc.

This brings me to the second reason I use this word: narrative isn't at all about the static written story one could gleam from a gaming session. I played V:tM today this morning, and I suppose I could have transcribed all kinds of stuff that happened during the game. But that wouldn't be its narrative. The narrative is what is going on during the game. the back and forth between the players creating an imaginary world, with scenes, characters and what not. It is an intrinsically interactive thing, where everyone gets to contribute.

The reason I am stretching this point is because narrativist players wouldn't have much fun with a system that simulated life. Such a system would be extremely hard to manipulate into generating the kind of story you would want. Instead, a much more important aspect of what kind of stories it would create wold be the rules underneath its simulation. Maybe those rules are very inspired in such way that the resulting stories look like Mr. Tolkien's stories (say, like the Hobbit or the Adventures of Tom Bombadil). Maybe the rules would make stories much more like real life. But in the end, the player wouldn't have much control about how the story goes. Is his PC a protagonist? Is he a villain? Is his story arc about the strength of love against apathy? It could be... or it could be something completely different. Choosing this stuff and then telling story with your character, as story that is somehow understood and built upon by the other players, is the core of narrativism.

This is kind of a problem with computers and any other kind of static media. The game designer can only try to guess what kind of story one might want to tell with his character in the game, and of course, there are thousands of different stories that are left out. I say PS:T came closest to be a nar RPG not because it could be done like a visual novel (which I disagree, as doing so would take a lot of the control of TNO from the hands of the players) or because it had so much text, but because you got to choose, in a very small way, who TNO ws in the story. Was he a repenting villain? An asshole with a heart of gold? Did he care about Morte? Annah? They were small choices, but they worked and the game recognized them. By the way, I think AP tried to do something similar, but took away too much of the control the player has over his PC. The result there is, indeed, more similar to a visual novel, I think.

This said, I wonder what makes narrativist-gamists tick? I understand the point of gamism and simulationism. I think I know what narrativism is about too. I fully understand both the interests of gamist-simulationists and narrativist-simulationists, but what the fuck are narrativist-gamists interested in?

a09d80.png

As represented in the diagram above, what do they want from their games?

Any NGs here who could clue me in?

I don't really know. What I know about forge GNS doesn't really have hybrids. You are either playing in one mode or in other, even if you use certain tools usually associated with the others to get to your creative agenda. According to traditional GNS (or how it appears in the big model, if you want to split hairs), both of what you call g-s and n-s are simply different simulationist goals.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I think I would classify myself as an NG. I'll try to explain myself, but it's going to be hard, and I'm not sure I know the right nomenclature. It's also possible I misunderstand GNS.

Ironically, I think what drives both simulationists and narrativists (goddamn that's an awkward word) is the thing. We want some reason to care about the game. With simulationists, it's the idea that the actions of the game represent something that could (or has, or will) happen in reality (or I guess some other reality with different rules). For myself, I don't give a fuck about reality when I'm playing a game (or actually other forms of entertainment like movies or books). Instead the draw for me, the thing that gets me to care, is the writing. Are the characters interesting and do they appeal to me? Is the setting interesting? etc and so forth.

Now for the gamist side, if I was just interested in narrative, I could watch a movie or read a book. I want the rules of a game, I want them to affect the narrative, and vice versa. I want the characters I create to be tested. I wouldn't consider myself a rules-lawyer, and I don't pour over the rule book looking for how to make the most OP builds ever, but I do power game to some degree, and I like making different builds and seeing how the perform at different things.

Does that answer your question?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Simply put, it's the discovery/exploration aspect. I want a fleshed out detailed world so I can find out about the ancient war between foozles and unfoozles, and I want a detailed game system so I can constantly find new ways to interact with it. I don't really care what the details are so much as that they are there. I'd rather have a game with a ton of derpy stuff like amnesia sub plots and undead cyborg elves with an intricate (and absurd) background as to how they came to be than a realistic, but simple world. Likewise, I enjoy mechanics that are complex and involve many interactions, whether they arise from a realistic simulation of something or an arbitrary set of rules involving zodiac signs and moon phases and various attack and defense types.

Norfleet

I'm an S-G type player. The backstory and lore only matter to me insofar as they allow me to gain an advantage in-game, by knowing what to expect in terms of what the strengths and weaknesses of enemies are, and what resources exist to be utlized for advantage. The story and plot mean nothing to me: I've heard it all before.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
With simulationists, it's the idea that the actions of the game represent something that could (or has, or will) happen in reality (or I guess some other reality with different rules).

No, you can simulate a fantasy world that has rules differing from reality's rules. It has to model a reality or a world, but that isn't to say it needs to model this reality or world. For instance, I have always felt that (tabletop) RPGs that are based on outside licenses should try to model the reality of that license rather than be concerned about game balance or trying to shoehorn things into existing game systems. To have an idea of what I'm talking about you could look at the various attempts at making tabletop games out of movies and books like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. There are multiple attempts and some of them capture different things about the source material or fall flat entirely.

For Lord of the Rings, off the top of my head, you had Iron Crown Enterprise's Middle Earth Roleplaying which basically crammed Lord of the Rings into Rolemaster. I don't know how good of a fit the licensed world was with all the critical tables (including critical fumbles) of Rolemaster... but on the other hand, elves really were better than humans, Dunadain were awesome and lower humans really were kind of shit. There was a more recent attempt at a Lord of the Rings RPG by Decipher that again had unbalanced elves and the like but the rules mostly felt like a flashy cash in on the success of the movies.

Star Wars went through a number of editions including several editions of D6 by West End Games and several d20 based games. The D6 game wasn't bad but you could have wookiees that could literally wade through blaster fire like it was nothing which is a failure of the game system to represent the universe. On the other hand, the d20 games stopped this problem by having a version of hp introduced, but the game doesn't feel as dynamic/cinematic as D6 does due to a change in the action system and really ends up feeling like D&D in space with lightsabers. So both of these games fail to represent the Star Wars universe though D6 isn't bad - possibly with some house ruling on its damage system.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Was that a simulationist failure? Because you know wookies can't go through blaster fire or a gamist failure because it was an over powered ability?

Also, I thought I covered my ass with that last parenthetical.

DraQ

Arcane
That would certainly be nice, but this mode of game only works if your creative agenda is simulationistic.
I think it's the right spot to ask what *should* be your creative agenda? Because I think that when creating something with specific medium in mind, you have to take into account strengths and weaknesses of this medium.
Computer game as a medium has a rather particular set of those.

The problem with narrativist games, even great ones, like PS:T, is that they don't play to the strengths of the medium.

Computers don't understand stories, so narrativist approach does result in a ton of static content stuck in the middle of what should be an interactive entertainment or art form.

This is kind of a problem with computers. r any other kind of static media. The game designer can only try to gess what kind of story one might want to tell with his character in the game, and of course, there are thousands of different stories that are left out.
That's my main beef with narrativism in computer games. There is one way game can transcend the limitations of static storytelling medium - going for fine grained simulationist mechanics.

This is the only way to have something in game that isn't a bug but isn't just a piece of content put there by the devs. Torment, for all its greatness didn't contain a single thing that wasn't explicitly scripted and written, that was relevant to the kind of player that plays PS:T.

Simply put, it's the discovery/exploration aspect. I want a fleshed out detailed world so I can find out about the ancient war between foozles and unfoozles, and I want a detailed game system so I can constantly find new ways to interact with it. I don't really care what the details are so much as that they are there. I'd rather have a game with a ton of derpy stuff like amnesia sub plots and undead cyborg elves with an intricate (and absurd) background as to how they came to be than a realistic, but simple world. Likewise, I enjoy mechanics that are complex and involve many interactions, whether they arise from a realistic simulation of something or an arbitrary set of rules involving zodiac signs and moon phases and various attack and defense types.
TBH I wouldn't really class completely off the wall stuff that is nevertheless justified in-universe as "gamist".

Maybe if it was something like Tyrian, but it's hard to think up any other possible examples.

I think I would classify myself as an NG. I'll try to explain myself, but it's going to be hard, and I'm not sure I know the right nomenclature. It's also possible I misunderstand GNS.

Ironically, I think what drives both simulationists and narrativists (goddamn that's an awkward word) is the thing. We want some reason to care about the game. With simulationists, it's the idea that the actions of the game represent something that could (or has, or will) happen in reality (or I guess some other reality with different rules). For myself, I don't give a fuck about reality when I'm playing a game (or actually other forms of entertainment like movies or books). Instead the draw for me, the thing that gets me to care, is the writing. Are the characters interesting and do they appeal to me? Is the setting interesting? etc and so forth.

Now for the gamist side, if I was just interested in narrative, I could watch a movie or read a book. I want the rules of a game, I want them to affect the narrative, and vice versa. I want the characters I create to be tested. I wouldn't consider myself a rules-lawyer, and I don't pour over the rule book looking for how to make the most OP builds ever, but I do power game to some degree, and I like making different builds and seeing how the perform at different things.
But interactivity is really part of the medium, not any particular approach (although narrativism does produce rather limited interactivity, due to how the medium works).

Simulationist wants to interact with a game because he treats it as a sort of portal through which he can interact with the conworld the game is meant to convey.

Gamist wants to interact with a game because he wants to seek particular states and find optimal ways to reach them.

Does that answer your question?
No, but misreading your answer at one point got me an idea:

Would you say that both narrativists and gamists are interested in meaning and purpose (on all levels)?
I'm using possibly broad definition of those concepts. Gamism revolves around success and failure - if anything is a meaning, those two qualify. Story can also be treated as means to convey ideas and meanings rather than as a thing in itself.

Would you agree with saying that NGs find those abstractions alluring?

Was that a simulationist failure? Because you know wookies can't go through blaster fire or a gamist failure because it was an over powered ability?
It was the former regardless of the latter. M:

mediocrepoet

Patron

Also, I thought I covered my ass with that last parenthetical.

Both, I suppose. It isn't even a wookiee specific thing. Damage soaking in D6 is tied to the strength attribute, so anything that gets a high enough strength (even humans if they're wearing good armour) can start walking through most weapons more or less with impunity. There are other issues with the attribute systems but strength damage soaking is one of the more obvious ones. So if you have a high strength naked wookiee, you could shoot them in the chest with a blaster rifle, have a good chance of them shrugging it off without even a "stunned" result and then ripping you apart with their strength which counts for both unarmed attack skill and damage.

It's a gamist (god I hate that term, it sounds retarded) issue because the system itself is wonky when your attributes get too high and it's a simulationist issue because in the movies, blasters are blowing chunks out of walls and such. It's not the sort of thing you can get hit in the chest with and ignore. I suppose a GM could say the shooter just missed, but there is a dodge skill and specific rules about missing - the damage soak roll is to resist damage after already determining that you have, in fact, been hit.

Gozma

Arcane
Gosh it's almost like game and simulation aren't opposing poles and also aren't purely orthogonal

Damned Registrations

Well, things aren't necessarily justified in the game anyways. Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favourite games. It's got a deep narrative regarding the history of the setting and character motivations and relationships and so forth. But on the game mechanic side of things, you have people who change classes from knight to wizard to thief, who learn how to become gun wielding monster tamers by mastering status effect and healing magic first, and who have completely arbitrary bullshit abilities like dancing to debilitate enemies, or targeting spells based on enemy levels. I'd say it's a good example of a NG type of game.

As for examples of things being justified in a universe which is blatantly silly (like Tyrian) it's definitely a smaller set. Disgaea goes in that direction to be sure, with things like the game world being governed by a senate you can propose laws to (such as changing enemy levels) and then bribe or coerce into submission through combat. Earthbound does as well, though it also ranges into the obviously unjustifiable area too. In all 3 cases simulation takes a back seat to humour. It's less important to justify why a lightsaber weapon exists in the world than to have another joke thrown in. Star Ocean 2 takes itself relatively seriously, but is still a patently ridiculous setting, with everything from magic, elves and dragons to space ships and aliens all in the same pot. Even though it's such a mishmash and everything comes up empty when you dig far enough (which is often not very far at all) it's still enjoyable to me to go on a sidequest to find out where the swordsman with dragon heads glued to his back came from, or how the gagdet girl with the gigantic robotic arm learned how to build all the shit that nobody in her civilization seems to have access to. It's like filling in a crossword puzzle; the big picture doesn't matter at all, you just want to know all the answers individually for completion's sake.

Norfleet

So if you have a high strength naked wookiee, you could shoot them in the chest with a blaster rifle, have a good chance of them shrugging it off without even a "stunned" result and then ripping you apart with their strength which counts for both unarmed attack skill and damage.
You know, though, that sort of thing happens annoyingly often in real life. Given that the damage-resilience of Wookies is largely an unknown, I'm not convinced this is entirely "unrealistic". I mean, even a naked Wookie is wearing an impressive fur coat.

Damned Registrations

For bullets maybe. Blasters are more akin to explosives. People don't step on landmines and shrug it off. Their legs disappear. Even if they're wearing really nice boots.

I could see it making sense for other types of damage though. Sounds mostly like blasters just didn't have a high enough damage rating.

Also, I take back what I said about bullets. Even if someone takes a bullet and shrugs it off, they still have a fucking HOLE in them. It's not the same as shrugging off a punch or walking away from a car accident with just bruises, which is what completely soaking a damage roll with no result is like. That shouldn't really be possible without armor or a droid body.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
For bullets maybe. Blasters are more akin to explosives. People don't step on landmines and shrug it off. Their legs disappear. Even if they're wearing really nice boots.

Which is why I really loved the mines in Fallout: Tactics. For once mines in a game could really fuck you up (and the animation was groovy as hell, too).

tuluse

Arcane
No, but misreading your answer at one point got me an idea:

Would you say that both narrativists and gamists are interested in meaning and purpose (on all levels)?
I'm using possibly broad definition of those concepts. Gamism revolves around success and failure - if anything is a meaning, those two qualify. Story can also be treated as means to convey ideas and meanings rather than as a thing in itself.

Would you agree with saying that NGs find those abstractions alluring?

I would hesitate to speak for others, but I do think that's what attracts me, yes.

It was the former regardless of the latter. M:[/quote]
True enough, I meant to ask what the bigger problem with it was.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Well the issue really comes down to this: with the damage system in place in d6, if you have a maximum strength wookiee or barabel, you basically start needing artillery emplacements, Master Jedi/Sith (since lightsaber damage and Force power damage is based on Force stats) or thermal detonators to reliably scratch the character (and possibly not even then if they spend character points or Force points to help soak damage). I can't imagine that that is justified by the movies since Chewbacca takes cover and runs from blasters rather than charges through it and it's (still) also stupid from a game mechanics perspective.

DraQ

Arcane
Well, things aren't necessarily justified in the game anyways. Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favourite games. It's got a deep narrative regarding the history of the setting and character motivations and relationships and so forth. But on the game mechanic side of things, you have people who change classes from knight to wizard to thief, who learn how to become gun wielding monster tamers by mastering status effect and healing magic first, and who have completely arbitrary bullshit abilities like dancing to debilitate enemies, or targeting spells based on enemy levels. I'd say it's a good example of a NG type of game.

As for examples of things being justified in a universe which is blatantly silly (like Tyrian) it's definitely a smaller set. Disgaea goes in that direction to be sure, with things like the game world being governed by a senate you can propose laws to (such as changing enemy levels) and then bribe or coerce into submission through combat. Earthbound does as well, though it also ranges into the obviously unjustifiable area too. In all 3 cases simulation takes a back seat to humour. It's less important to justify why a lightsaber weapon exists in the world than to have another joke thrown in. Star Ocean 2 takes itself relatively seriously, but is still a patently ridiculous setting, with everything from magic, elves and dragons to space ships and aliens all in the same pot. Even though it's such a mishmash and everything comes up empty when you dig far enough (which is often not very far at all) it's still enjoyable to me to go on a sidequest to find out where the swordsman with dragon heads glued to his back came from, or how the gagdet girl with the gigantic robotic arm learned how to build all the shit that nobody in her civilization seems to have access to. It's like filling in a crossword puzzle; the big picture doesn't matter at all, you just want to know all the answers individually for completion's sake.
:what:
Don't talk japfaggotry at me.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
and who have completely arbitrary bullshit abilities like dancing to debilitate enemies, or targeting spells based on enemy levels. I'd say it's a good example of a NG type of game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taV3l3XoJVA

There you have a dancer. In fact there is even a logical explanation why that happened, when you look at first 3 episodes after you'd see him first time, you'd know. He would be pitied, if he wasn't so much narcissistic egomaniac.

Weierstraß

Learned
Project: Eternity

Is see the G but not the N.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom