Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Xi

Arcane
Graphics look similar but definitely better, lighting and shadows look great. I'm wondering how they're going to pull it off on consoles as the previous game brought the PS3 to its knees in blight town. I'm really hoping they don't reduce the area sizes, that was a big plus going from Demons to Dark. All in all looks very awesome.
They're using their own new game engine this time around, it should run much better. DeS and DaS were made using Sony's shitty PhyreEngine.

OH RIGHT I didn't know that. Nice to see. Don't think this is coming out for PS4 though, must be PS3 right? Unless it's coming out for both. PS4 is still a while away yet no?

PS4 comes out this year, and the game is only 25% complete. So it lines up just right.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Graphics look similar but definitely better, lighting and shadows look great. I'm wondering how they're going to pull it off on consoles as the previous game brought the PS3 to its knees in blight town. I'm really hoping they don't reduce the area sizes, that was a big plus going from Demons to Dark. All in all looks very awesome.
They're using their own new game engine this time around, it should run much better. DeS and DaS were made using Sony's shitty PhyreEngine.

OH RIGHT I didn't know that. Nice to see. Don't think this is coming out for PS4 though, must be PS3 right? Unless it's coming out for both. PS4 is still a while away yet no?
PS4 is expected to come out before Christmas this year, so it's possible DS2 might release for it too along with new xbox. I don't really much about the console versions though, I'll be getting this for PC.

Cynic

Arcane
Ah right I see. Could get for PC then. Not sure if I'll be getting a PS4 until well after launch.

Not sure if Sony would let them demo a game on PS4 hardware yet though to be honest, they haven't even shown the system yet. My guess is that this was the PC dev build of the game.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Speaking of QTE. When the bridge broke and the char fell down, I was expecting "PRESS X TO GRAB THE ROPE!!!" or "char miraculously woke up unharmed". But the actual outcome was just a big fat YOU DIED. That made me chuckle.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I like how the Japanese developer talks in a calm, no-nonsense demeanor. It feels like an artist proudly talking about his work, instead of some guy who don't know anything about gaming trying to market a nextgen game.

made

Arcane
Speaking of QTE. When the bridge broke and the char fell down, I was expecting "PRESS X TO GRAB THE ROPE!!!" or "char miraculously woke up unharmed". But the actual outcome was just a big fat YOU DIED. That made me chuckle.
Dark Souls had "mash button or die" QTEs too, just without on-screen prompts.

AngryDude

Novice
Scares the shit out of me of what they'll be able to achieve with 8GB RAM in the future.

Deep-Down_2013_02-20-13_002.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Refresh my memory...

Hobo Elf

Arcane

made

Arcane
Gaping dragon comes to mind. But yea, probably any enemy with a grab attack.

AngryDude

Novice
DS II will be just more of the same, banal shit boring buttan mashin, wake me up when they develop a proper game like Might and Magic and not street fighter II hardkore simulator.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Refresh my memory...

There were none.

Exactly.

Gaping dragon/Centipede demons/others' grabbing attack isn't QTE to me actually. "Mash buttons to escape" exist since the ancient arcade games. Modern QTE are more like "performing acts", in which when the QTE happen you'll see slow motion, and with a single button you'll get 3 seconds of awesome animations. These all made the actual QTE detached from the game flow, and you're more like watching a interactive movie than playing as the guy being chewed.

But in classical arcade, some good modern action games, and of course Demons/Dark Souls, button mashing is integrated into the game flow, which means there's no cinematic zooming or slow-mo's, you just keep pressing the button like you're really getting bit.

BTW, there is one thing that's one of the best of DS - no pause function. That actually makes the game very stressful to play because you know you can never be at rest...unless you go back to the main menu.

Xi

Arcane
DS II will be just more of the same, banal shit boring buttan mashin, wake me up when they develop a proper game like Might and Magic and not street fighter II hardkore simulator.

This is what the Codex wants. Dipshits like you want every new game to be completely different. If it is a sequel, it needs to use the same mechanics. If they add more to the game, on top of the preexisting mechanics, even better. Fuck off.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter

Palikka

Arcane
"Implementing seamless transitions between venues with more freedom on where the player can go."

Sounds better and better with every released video. Cautious optimism rising!

Heresiarch

Prophet
New interview with DS2's director at GT:
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/1e5x9d/dark-souls-ii-what-to-expect-from-dark-souls-ii

Says that it's not a direct sequel to DS1, but will share a few story elements. Near the end of the video he also pretty much tells casual gamers to fuck off because he's not going to make it easier for them. He even says DS2 will be harder than DS1.
:bravo:

edit
Also, DS1 has sold 2.3 million copies.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538569

For the plot, it makes sense that it's not a direct sequel. Otherwise it's hard to justify the usage of campfires there.

The way he's promising that the game is becoming less tedious but only more difficult is making me hard on. Just imagine that if they put less bosses like Bed of Chaos and put more Knight Artorias or Ornstein & Smough fights in it...OMG

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Well. :) Sounds like they're fixing the things I didn't like but are keeping the challenge, and with the possibility of a PC launch version that's actually optimized to run on PC. WE MAY HAVE A WINNER. ;)

AngryDude

Novice
This is the DS series audience

DarkSoulsLP2_BT.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom