Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spore

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thrawn05 said:
I can see myself having more fun with the creature editor and not bothering going to the tribal stage.

I'm seriously hoping there's some kinda 'Natural Selection' mode, where you build up a whole mess of various lifeforms to tribal level, then just sit back and fast forward till theres a winner and you hop in the space ship to get to the 'metagame' (new rule for the drinking game, if you aren't dead after all the procedural shots, take 2 shots when he says metagame)

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
Visbhume said:
It has an incredible engine and a supremely refined interface, but I suspect its gameplay will suck. A series of aimless, largely unconnected minigames already done better in other titles. Another Black&White, only two times as good and twelve times as overhyped.

That is exactly the reaction I had. The only gameplay phase that looked even remotely fun was the cellular pacman one. The rest looked very difficult to control -- even Wright had a lot of trouble getting it to do what he wanted to -- totally unbalanced, and no very fun. Did you notice he omitted anything even remotely like gameplay after the post-cellular stage? All he did in the tribal stage was drop buildings and watch his people freak out, all he did in the city stage is drop buildings and . . . uh . . . watch people freak out (or fly off in helicopters without fighting the battle). The UFO stage was the exact same thing, only he also got to fight a city, only that didn't work either.

Meanwhile, it looked like there were about ten million screens to navigate with a dozen buttons on each.

I was blown away by the creature creation -- although, again, I didn't see where the *fun* was coming in, compared to say, Impossible Creatures -- and the graphics were pretty neat. But I just can't stand these "concept games." Sigh.

I'll grant that it's very possible that the game was just too early in development to have any gameplay to it. But that's worrisome, too, because it means that concept came before gameplay.

Last note: who the hell cares if you have a whole galaxy to explore? What's the point? He didn't convincingly show what you got other than encountering other aliens, which seemed like it might be fun for like, thirty seconds.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well he did mention cross breeding, and as you could gather from the rowdy applause, watching procedurally generated creatures procedurally fuck is always teh fun

Thrawn05

Scholar
HanoverF said:
Well he did mention cross breeding, and as you could gather from the rowdy applause, watching procedurally generated creatures procedurally fuck is always teh fun

The funny thing is someone sat down and figured out how to code two AIs to procedurally fuck.

Relien

Scholar
Mr_Wizard said:
926714_20060508_screen018.jpg
I wonder what does their goatse.cx look like...

Abernathy

Scholar
Gamespot has what I fear might be some scary news about Spore...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6151623.html

EBgames also has a listing up for a Nintendo DS version of Electronic Arts' highly anticipated Spore. That meshes nicely with EA job listings posted earlier this year looking for designers for a handheld version of Spore. Curiously enough, the DS version is currently set for a March 2007 release, while the PC edition has been pushed back yet again, this time to June 2007.

Let's hope it's just going to be a port from a full-fledged PC version rather than Oblivionised :?

Thrawn05

Scholar
You know, instead of torturing us with one bad PC game after another because they have to port it to a console, why don't the game industry just go ahead and put a metaphorical bullet in all our heads by announcing no more PC games ever and be done with it!!!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, it'll be like Sims 2 for consoles.. Stripped down to the point where you have to wonder why the hell they even called it "Sims 2". I'm sure the same thing will apply with Spore.

Thrawn05

Scholar
There's a interview with Will Wright over at gs.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/spore/news.html?sid=6155498

As well as news that Spore won't be released until Q3 of 2007. Not surprised.

This caught my eye though.

Will Wright said:
We're certainly looking at [Spore] as a franchise. The PC [version of the game], for me, is the tip of the iceberg. You can imagine Spore in a lot of different variants, because we have all these different types of gameplay. We can pull out individual levels; we can use the editors in totally different ways; and so on. I can easily imagine Spore on any conceivable platform, and that's something that we've definitely been looking into. We're not announcing anything yet, but it's pretty obvious that I want Spore to take over the world (laughs).

This just in, Will Wright will open the Spore Store in NYC where you can buy all your Spore characters like Furrycat, Donkeytron, Pengin, Shoe and Lambtor. Collect them all, and you can become Royal Crown Spore Master!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fez

Erudite
I'm looking forward to trying it. He's in the situation where he can get away with these delays and not be pushed into a release. I can see why he'd want to take advantage of that for his new baby. I wonder what they need the time for? We've seen footage that looked like they were getting close to pulling it all together. Perhaps due to the nature of it it needs a lot of testing to avoid bugs.

Amasius

Augur
Yeah, Will Wright is in a quite comfortable situation. Vision, talent and almost unlimited resources - there must be something good come out. Heh, I'm hyped. :oops: :wink:

xedoc gpr

Scholar
Thrawn05 said:
HanoverF said:

The funny thing is someone sat down and figured out how to code two AIs to procedurally fuck.

yea that is funny lawl

Lumpy

Arcane
^_^ ^_^
Spore_cellphase.jpg

Newer videos from the SXSW 2007 and pictures from magazines like Game Informer have shown that the tidepool phase has been altered. Instead of resembling a microscopic organism, the microbe resembles a strange insect with cartoonish eyes. The human-like eyes were added to multicellular organisms "to make it cute," according to Wright during the 2007 TED seminar.

Balor

Arcane
Blagh...
Just as we begun to think that it can be worthwhile...
^_^, indeed.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Fun! I hope that instead of evolution or whatever was to be the main selling point of this game, they'll implement an anime choose-your-own-adventure.

Texas Red

Whiner
Quigs said:
of course, 2 years later, no release in sight.

That's how they do it. They lie that the game is just around the corner to get you excited.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom