Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official Codex Star Citizen Squadron Thread

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I did pledge at the Colonel level with the Hornet fighter. However, to be quite honest I've never been into MMOs at all and pledged for a single-player Wing Commander-type game. I tried Star Wars Galaxies when it first came out but got bored very quickly as the game was terrible. That is my only venture into MMOs and know you have to put a lot of time into those things to get the enjoyment out of them. I hope to be spending most of my gaming time (the limited amount I have) playing through the stack of other Kickstarter released games (hopefully) coming out in the next two years.

Having said that... the thought of a "Codex Squad" is intriguing... :hmmm:

TripJack

Hedonist
i'll wait for a kwality konsensus before buying in

pretty sure it's going to be shit

Disgruntled

Savant
Despite my better judgement I pledged for the Freelancer a while back. Ill be willing to join in with you bros if it all the pieces fall in place a year or two from now.
These next few months will be the most painful. Alphas/Betas with broken code and incomplete features that will scare a lot of people a way.

Praying CR is the one guy who can deliver on the promises.

Tycn

Savant
I've not pledged, but if it's remotely decent and latency and such permit I'd very much like to be part of this.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oval instead of round on purpose? Not sure about the arrow being the centerpiece - people'll probably think it's some lame sub-reddit clan. :lol:

With the "attachments" on the side done correctly, it will end up looking more round than oval, I think. Good point about the arrow....

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I count 24 Codexians expressing interest—most cautiously, a few much more cautiously than others. Not bad for one weekend.

It's my hope that we can reach 40+ persons expressing interest over the next several months as people notice this thread/notice my signature/notice the game/decide to give a shit/etc. Quality over quantity is key here, otherwise I wouldn't be bothering with a Codex squadron, but without a critical mass of comrades to banter and play with, a gaming clan can shrivel up pretty quickly.

Since we here at the Codex understandably despise nearly every other forum, website, and online community in existence, I'd be curious to know how other Codexians would suggest bolstering our numbers (recruitment and/or alliance obviously, but the question is who and from where), or if we should even try to do that at all.

Edit: Family and friends (as if we have any) are one possibility. I know that my brother-in-law, who's a bro-tier man's man and VMI grad, is very interested in the game for example.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Suggest an alliance with RPG Watch :troll:

But, no seriously: friends should be auto-include. It's how codexian playdates in many games keep on going, and how new quality codexers are born.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Nah, they're just purchasing their own mocap studio so that our pilots' hands moving the yoke will look super-realistic.

There's pretty much no one on the planet better qualified to make a new Wing Commander successor than Chris Roberts. I'm not even slightly worried about the single-player campaign.

Drakron

Arcane
Likely like Privateer ... planets are set to create commodities, require commodities and exhaust commodities.

Meaning you can buy some commodities cheap from places that creates those, like ore from mining bases but the more ore you buy the more expensive it became until there is none left in stock, then you move that ore to a place with high demand for it that manufacturers something, like machinery and the more ore you sell the less money you get from it.

Now likely is that you never deplete a planet to the point its exhausted from its created commodities because its ability to create commodities far exceed your ability to store them, that means you alone cannot have a impact in the market so it tanks, likely the system is set players cannot act as cartel by cornering a market because a commodity output will always surpass the ability of players to store then, even when you have 20 players doing it.

praetor

Arcane
count me in as an "interested party". i'd like to pledge but my funds are limited until something like september (hopefully sooner) and my ancient rig won't get upgrades before 2015 (except moar ram) so hopefully the sys reqs won't get "upgraded" :P

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I'll most probably be around to shoot some things when the game comes out but naturally I can't promise with 100% certainty.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/0...oberts-expounds-on-star-citizens-crafting-ec/

The more I read about this, the less and less interested I became.

I think the crafting system sounds pretty fantastic. It's much like X³ in which there are player-owned and AI-owned factories, player traders and AI traders supplying material to those factories, and players (and perhaps AI) purchasing items from those factories. I'm curious, what about that turns you off?

You know, I'm cool with AI individuals doing work (how good they will be, I don't know), but players replacing them because one pirate equals another - is worrying.

One pirate doesn't necessarily "equal another"... the point is that each system's population is kept relatively constant. The instancing/slider/system population mechanics are still in their early stages and not well understood, so don't get too worked up about it yet.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I should give X3 another spin, but it's absolutely terrible with a keyboard and mouse - plus not enough fighters.

This will have some pseudo-Newtonian physics, right?

Control-wise, X³ is pretty terrible regardless of peripherals used. It's pure fly-by-wire and poorly executed at that, and even a high-end HOTAS doesn't do much to change that. I know because I've played it with a HOTAS. Still a neat game overall.

Yes, Star Citizen will feature pseudo-Newtonian physics. The only blatant departure is a maximum speed limit. Other than that, you can use maneuvering thrusters to adjust the attitude of the ship without altering course, "slide" in any thruster-viable direction, and even map individual thrusters or groups of thrusters to their own keybindings, since each ship is highly articulated with numerous moving/destructible parts, including the thrusters. You can blast off individual enemy thrusters, wings, weapons and so on.

Drakron

Arcane
I think the crafting system sounds pretty fantastic.

Because its a unnecessary hassle, I dont care about crafting however considering ...

It's much like X³ in which there are player-owned and AI-owned factories, player traders and AI traders supplying material to those factories, and players (and perhaps AI) purchasing items from those factories. I'm curious, what about that turns you off?

... Player entirely driven economies are a complete disaster because of cartel and price rigging.

This is EVE, EVE with a joystick and fuck that ... I am NOT ever play on their fucking main server, meaning single player have to have enough appeal and honestly I am NOT buying a game to just play half of it, the offline mode must really offer the entire online system without the bullshit that is human players considering they are making NO effort to prevent griefing, regardless you are not going to see on the main server.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
... Player entirely driven economies are a complete disaster because of cartel and price rigging.

This is EVE, EVE with a joystick and fuck that ... I am NOT ever play on their fucking main server, meaning single player have to have enough appeal and honestly I am NOT buying a game to just play half of it, the offline mode must really offer the entire online system without the bullshit that is human players considering they are making NO effort to prevent griefing, regardless you are not going to see on the main server.

Here you are complaining about "cartels" and "price rigging" and "griefing" in a game you clearly haven't actually played, and you believe that Star Citizen—a game that's a year and half away from release—will be a carbon copy of it.

Completely valid concerns, I see your point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom