Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome Total War II

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Wikipedia quote
I think that, unfortunately, adding features like this will just further advantage the player over the A.I, and make these already easy games even easier.

Yes but it's not like we can't have AI improvement mods or be able to play against human opponents online.

If they'd make a working multiplayer campaign mode for once that allows multiple players, then yeah, screw AI(the point is that they won't).

Kukulkan

Learned
Wikipedia quote
I think that, unfortunately, adding features like this will just further advantage the player over the A.I, and make these already easy games even easier.

Yes but it's not like we can't have AI improvement mods or be able to play against human opponents online.

If they'd make a working multiplayer campaign mode for once that allows multiple players, then yeah, screw AI(the point is that they won't).

Oh come now. You can't ignore the normal multiplayer where you just have battles with others.

AMG

Arbiter
Introduction of 10 battle variants seems to be an attempt by CA to spice things up while avoiding touching anything remotely related to the AI. Sadly the battles in TW games get annoying and boring after a while because the AI has intellect of an aborted fetus.

If they won't improve upon the AI (they won't) it will be hilarious to witness how it will handle those dumb capture points. I mean in previous games when AI is trying to break siege it is already possible to sneak in one unit with a routing enemy squad and capture the central plaza winning the battle while the rest of computer army is chasing yours in circles.

Current battle formula would work fine if only the computer wasn't actively helping the player. I actually reinstalled RTW recently and seeing the AI wasting it's whole cavalry before even infantry clashes, or suiciding generals, being completely unable to utilize phalanx or doing nothing with half it's army is just.... These games could be twice as fun if only the freaking AI would perform basic maneuvers like flanking, intercepting your flanking units, not suiciding generals, retreating when it is getting overpowered, etc. How hard can it be to tell a fucking computer to crash its cavalry into rear of your squads AFTER they clash with enemy infantry. I guess after modelling flaming pigs there is no budget left for AI coding.

Branm

Learned
Soooo yeah my low hopes for yet another Total War game has pretty much been confirmed. All they add version after version is more bling , ignoring their absolutely abysmal AI.

Sigh...too bad really. AI one of the few things people simply aren't able to mod in. How I wish these guys would just FOR ONE fucking version totally focus on their AI its been the same shit for 10+ years now...

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Don't expect the AI to be good, but I'm hoping for multiplayer(battles and campaign) to be stable. That might be the saving grace. They're finally having land+naval battles, they are bringing back an okay looking family tree etc. stuff so we can RP a little like the old days(and Crusader Kings), sieges aren't going to be laughable shit anymore(who knows if they will actually be good though). I certainly won't be buying it immediately, but I'll "demo" it and most likely pick it up in a Steam sale. :smug:

aris

Arcane
Legion bonuses, really nice idea! And a nice evolution of the general skill tree they made for shogun 2.

Battle has already been showcased though :decline:

Brinko

Arcane
My questions mainly concern the merc units as I want to know if it's more in line with RTW's or M2's system. Because RTW allowed you to get mercs but once they got pretty fucked up they were done and that sucked for the few good units there were but M2 allowed you to replenish them as long as they were in the same general region where they could get picked up. I hope it's M2's system as that leads to far better options and really allows for some diverse armies that are fun to fuck around with.

Legion bonuses, really nice idea! And a nice evolution of the general skill tree they made for shogun 2.

Legio XIII Gemina better have a Professional Badass bonus, then. THIRTEEN!

I would really love some custom titles for each legion. Say you invade germany and get ambushed by hordes of tree worshipers, your general is surrounded but a cohort comes to to his aid and rescues him from certain death, an alternate Battle of the Bridges where the I Germanica got it's title. Or some mongoloids invade Thrace, a single legion posted there sends them back to their yurts and gets the title Scythica.

Same for failures such as losing an eagle or deserting their general in battle. Washing that shame off should take a considerable amount of effort and would lower the morale of new recruits.

Wikipedia quote

So far the most modders have been able to do for the AI is make them use formations. With all the capture point shenanigans and the even lower moddability Rome 2 will have, any radical change will be impossible.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
That's a good idea. Which means if CA ever implements it, it'll be a paid DLC and poorly implemented.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Good. I'm gonna assume if you could run STW2, you can basically run this. Maybe a Naval/City-Siege combo would ramp up the cpu needs.

spectre

Arcane
It's not like it costs them anything, as it lookes like a souped-up Shogun 2 engine, but I'm really surprised to see XP support on this one.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's not like it costs them anything, as it lookes like a souped-up Shogun 2 engine, but I'm really surprised to see XP support on this one.

I still support XP, even when my primary target is Linux x64. It's not problem as long as you don't need more than 2 GB RAM.

spectre

Arcane
Well, most big name developers just say fuck it and slap on Win 7 only label even if there's little reason to do so.
And XP supports up to 3,5 Gigs actually. Which incidentally tends to be the recommended specs for recent games. It irks me to no end when I hear the argument: XP is bad and old because it's bad and old.

Anyways, I've been planning to upgrade to Win7 this year, when a critical mass of games for Win7 I'd want to play builds up, Rome 2 being the final straw (unless it turns out to be crap).
I'm really surprised and glad that CA lets me to postpone that decision by supporting XP rather than releasing a crap game (though that remains to be seen) :)

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I know I used XP 3.6 GB + 2 GB on GFX card, which causes occasionally a brain fuckup to some people who hear about that.

spectre

Arcane
Yeah. Best thing about it is... it works. XP is pretty lightweight on the system ram I think it can make do with less than 128 megs. I think a 3,6 RAM XP setup is roughly equivalent to having a 5-6 GB Win7 based rig. Not to mention, thanks to the consolititis, very few games needed anything more than 2 on minimum, 4 on recommended specs.

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
1373636647589.png

An ancient Reich is rising...

Brinko

Arcane
Why is Rhodes still independent?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom