Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

karfhud

Augur
It's just bizarre that people play a game with walls of text (needs some patience) , but insist on RTWP which exists mostly due to Diablo's influence and the need to implement more fast paced trash combat.

On one hand it's indeed bizarre, but on the other I'm thinking it's pretty natural. Obviously the new Torment, just like its legendary predecessor, will be a story-driven game. And not "story-driven" to an extent of modern RPGs, which become story-driven when they offer 3 effing dialogue choices.

My opinion on this doesn't change - tactical combat, please. TToN, ideally, should cater to different playstyles - if someone doesn't want combat, he'll be able to go for a pacifist playthrough and resort to fighting only in extreme instances. Then if someone prefers to play a warrior type, he should not only be able to do it, but also - experience engaging encounters (eee, yeah). And tactical combat is a huge nod towards engaging encounters.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
don't curr either way about which combat system is imp'd...I just want to relish in the glorious anal devastation that will ensue once the decision has been made.

I will say that I find it surprising that TB is winning by such a large margin (almost double), I guess the BioWhores haven't been alerted to this little poll (Fargo is nothing if not a cunning snake).

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
Cause the 'tards want RTwP and the 'tards constitute the majority of T:ToN backers and potential buyers.

https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/197950-game-ideas/suggestions/3751827-turn-based-combat-
https://torment.uservoice.com/forum.../3754318-real-time-with-tactical-pause-combat

The tards are hysterical because they're losing.

When the moment of doing the official combat poll. The tides of RTwP will turn against TB.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm saving all of mine for the Rotten Turd with Piss vs. Phase-based vs. Turn-based Master Race poll, in case it's on the Ideas section.

No need, that'll likely be on a separate forum, and even if it isn't you can go back and recoup votes from older ideas.

The poll is also a ways out anyway. And while it'll no doubt be a fun and exciting race it's not exactly a case of "whoever has most votes, that's what we do". Per Kevin:
I should clarify that we don’t intend to go so far as to “let the backers pick one.” We’ll present a couple designs to the backers, get feedback on them, through both comments and a vote, and then, keeping in mind the arguments pro and con for each style, choose the route that best fits the game. It's the debate that is important here, so that we can hear the voice of our backers. It's a debate we’ll conduct internally, too – while we share many common design sensibilities, we have different perspectives as well. The input of the backers helps balance and inform our internal discussion.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, when will you import that Kickstarter data? Beggining of June is long gone and I've already spent the money I wanted to use to increase my pledge several times already.

Branm

Learned
If done right i'm fine with either but I voted for TB. Wishing for combat to be something like ToEE :P

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
No need, that'll likely be on a separate forum, and even if it isn't you can go back and recoup votes from older ideas.

The poll is also a ways out anyway. And while it'll no doubt be a fun and exciting race it's not exactly a case of "whoever has most votes, that's what we do".

If it doesn't end up Turn-Based, we'll have to assume you're a double agent.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
We should ask for a poll where you get to vote for the system you like the least, so that RTwP advocates get their votes diluted.

Edit : here's a good, unbiaised exemple of phrasing : (you're free to borrow it Brother None)

What, in your opinion, is the worst combat system proposition amongst those three?
1) Glorious TB
2) Smart PB
3) retarded rtwp

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since IWD2>ToEE by a significant margin I don't really care what they go with. They'll make good content or they won't regardless of systems.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Since IWD2>ToEE by a significant margin I don't really care what they go with. They'll make good content or they won't regardless of systems.
Good content would be better with a good system than a bad one, right?

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Overall i would agree with that assertion, but on the specifics on combat, i have to argue that ToEE > IWD2

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good content would be better with a good system than a bad one, right?
Real time with pause or phased-based aren't necessarily bad by default though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FYI, Brother None has given everybody 50 more voting points. Use them wisely, because I don't think we'll be getting any more.
Any suggestions what should I spend my voting points on? Can't really follow everything closely enough to make my own call.

Well, for starters, you might want to vote for turn-based and/or phase-based combat, and against quest markers:

https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/197950-game-ideas/suggestions/3751827-turn-based-combat-
https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...taneously-executed-turn-based-combat-also-kno
https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/197950-game-ideas/suggestions/3775053-no-quest-markers

Besides that, we've had several posts ITT with voting recommendations. Search for posts by me containing the word "vote" in this thread and you'll probably find them.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks. Turns out I've already voted for no quest markers, but not the other two. I'll search for some worthy topics later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom