Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Burning Crusade

I've decided to completely stamp out all hope I have of a decent life by starting on World of Warcraft. Is the release of Burning Crusade a good time to start a new character with a Blood Elf or draenai or whatever they are called. Or will I still be swallowed by lolling gimps called SuperSaiyanGokuMegaMormon?

Norfleet

The latter. Sorry. Don't play World of Warcrap. You have been warned.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
WoW actually has more than it's fair share.

By the way, the sooner you realize it's an equipment treadmill, the better off you'll be.

Let me explain:

You gain levels to use new items.
You gain items to gain levels to gain better items.
At specific levels, you'll run instances to gain items.
At end game, you'll do raids/instances to gain items that will allow you to do other raids/instances.

Zzzzzz...

trystero

Novice
Hmm...

There are quests. Many of them involve simply killing X or gathering Y from dead X's.

A few of them are somewhat more rewarding in that they are chained and involve a small story.

I played without a guild the entire time. It was fine assuming you don't mind grouping with strangers at times and don't mind *not* participating in the end game ( which is pretty much all large scale raids of dozens of players ).

I didn't find the game very rewarding, although I enjoyed the PvP aspect of it for awhile.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Please, why don't you play a MUD or MUCK or something? Try Armageddon, a Darksun-inspired, perma-death sporting and extremely newbie unfriendly MUCK. It has NO retards. NONE. NIL. It only has good to great writers with an age around thirty, male and female.

Or turn furry and go yiffing. That's at any rate better than acquiring idiotic items on WoW just to increase your e-penis to cyber the hawt night-elf chicks that are actually sweaty fourty year old men.

Limorkil

Liturgist
StraitLacedDeviant said:
I've decided to completely stamp out all hope I have of a decent life by starting on World of Warcraft. Is the release of Burning Crusade a good time to start a new character with a Blood Elf or draenai or whatever they are called. Or will I still be swallowed by lolling gimps called SuperSaiyanGokuMegaMormon?

WoW is okay. Don't expect roleplaying or atmosphere though: even the rp realms are full of 'tards. It is all about getting equipment, as someone else noted. What got me to quit was that I was sick of people wanting to do instances just to get items. No-one ever wanted to do it for fun, they just wanted to blast through as quick as possible and if NPC X did not drop item Y they quit the group and went back out to try again. It just got really tedious.

In it's defense, it is quite a lot of fun up to about level 40. It plays basically like a single player action rpg. The quests, scenary and combat are relatively good for a rpg, single player or otherwise. I always told people that it would make a good single player game. In fact, it was just all the 'tards and the fact that you could not do instances (at appropriate level) without their 'help' that spoiled it.

Burning Crusade would be a sucky time to start. I guarantee you 80% of the population will be blonde semi naked blood elves all fighting over the same items in Shadowfang Keep, while tumble weeds blow unimpreded through the alliance only zones.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
WoW is fun to level 40. 40-49 is the ultimate grind with no reward. 50-59 is when your guild leader tells you to hurry the fuck up so you can start raiding ZG/MC or he'll leave you and the rest of the slowpokes behind... despite the fact that you're grinding your way in PvP towards High Warlord. You make a choice at this point, and either way you go, it's regrettable. Then you hit 60, do raids every day for 2 weeks straight interspersed with rep grind. Then you get a heart attack and die in front of your computer.

ixg

Erudite
FFS DOESN'T ANYONE GET BORED?!

I tried a grind game. It's called Silkroad Online. I played for a day and quit. There's no fucking point to the game, none. I haven't played WoW but I'm guessing it's similar.

Inziladun

Magister
WoW isn't much of a grind until you get to the late 40s, and then once you get to 60(If you ever get that far) it's nothing but a raid after raid after raid for your 1% chance to get uber lootz. That's if you even get into a raiding Guild, which sadly my Hunter(60) was never able to do(considering that 70% of all players are Night Elf Hunters, you can see why my poor little guy was left out). I started up an alt Warrior but once I got to level 40 I quit.

As far as MMORPGs go, it's pretty much the best out there right now(sadly), but it quickly follows the path of all MMORPGs by turning into a grind fest. Oh yeah, and the populace are full of tards, but I met my fair share of decent people on there.

Xi

Arcane
Sovard said:
Let me explain:

You gain levels to use new items.
You gain items to gain levels to gain better items.
At specific levels, you'll run instances to gain items.
At end game, you'll do raids/instances to gain items that will allow you to do other raids/instances.

Zzzzzz...

That is so true it hurts to read!

I played all the way to lvl 60 with a Gnome Rogue. I had pretty much all the best gear I could muster going solo. Mainly geared from Battlegrounds.

I joined a Raiding guild that was easily dominating MC. The problem was that I would not receive any credit or "DKP" if I left the Raid early. So after 11 Hours of raiding(and getting no items) I quit the game never to return.

Fuck MMOs! I have a life outside of that shit and single player works just fine for me. I do not need a virtual life so that I can have a relationship with a female pixel that is controlled by a 40 year old man whos keyboard is covered with sperm, sweat, and blood.

It can be an exciting game at first, but after you play it simply becomes an addiciton to get a slightly better item which only slightly increases your characters uniqueness.

Good luck!

oherror

Liturgist
Sol Invictus said:
WoW is fun to level 40. 40-49 is the ultimate grind with no reward. 50-59 is when your guild leader tells you to hurry the fuck up so you can start raiding ZG/MC or he'll leave you and the rest of the slowpokes behind... despite the fact that you're grinding your way in PvP towards High Warlord. You make a choice at this point, and either way you go, it's regrettable. Then you hit 60, do raids every day for 2 weeks straight interspersed with rep grind. Then you get a heart attack and die in front of your computer.

sounds like you know from experiance....i have a lvl 52 thats been 52 for 6 months....the game is boring after a certain point. I just dont see how people can get addicted to this....

I say try the game if you like it fine....play in moderation and its fun over play it and it gets old.

Nael

Arcane
I'll break it down for you in an easy to read list:

• 1. As with almost every single MMO, the game is nothing more than an experience gaining treadmill. If I were more conspiratorially minded, I would guess that games like WoW are some sort of devious version of the SETI program that runs in the background on your computer and benefits from millions of people's CPU cycles so that it can eat more babies.

2. There's no risk/reward system whatsoever. Meridian 59, which is generally considered to be one of the first graphical MMOs was HARSH. When you died, you didn't magically reappear in the same zone you died in with all of your equipment. Your corpse stayed where you died, and anyone walking by could loot it. The same went for dying in PvP. Everquest which followed up after M59 began the slow scaling back of the risk/reward. To me EQ1 had it perfectly. Meridian 59 was great, but the risk greatly outweighed the reward. EQ balanced it out pretty well. IMO, the last great MMO as far as the risk/reward goes was Anarchy Online. WoW is to MMOs what Oblivion is to RPGs.

3. The art. OMFG the art. It's like being stuck in a fat girl's vagina. Pastel, clunky, and frightening.

4. The WoW community makes TESF look like a goddamn intelligentsia. If you can stand the mind-splitting spam of 1000 Chuck Norris jokes per minute then maybe WoW really is for you. Otherwise I'd steer clear and consider investing in a Chia pet for a more valuable entertainment experience, and better odds of making a new friend.

That's just a sampling of the horrible things that await you if you choose to play WoW. Good luck.

kris

Arcane
Inziladun said:
WoW isn't much of a grind until you get to the late 40s, and then once you get to 60(If you ever get that far) it's nothing but a raid after raid after raid for your 1% chance to get uber lootz.

For me it beggars beliefe that people think "the real grind" have not started before the late 40s. I had not reached that far and I found grind to be a big problem.

Binary

Liturgist
Jasede said:
Or turn furry and go yiffing. That's at any rate better than acquiring idiotic items on WoW just to increase your e-penis to cyber the hawt night-elf chicks that are actually sweaty fourty year old men.

More sig material there :lol:

Obviously WoW is a bore. Now why pay a monthly fee for such a thing? I truly cannot understand.

Astromarine

Erudite
if after reading all that you still have any desire to try the game, here's some ideas:

1) Unless you're dead set on being a bloodelf or draenei, don't wait until the expansion. As a new player, it will be months before you're 60 anyway, but the new races' starting areas will be overrun by alts powerlevelling to join their guilds at end-game. I'd advise getting the game now, learn the ropes with an "old" race, then reroll BE or draenei if you feel like it a few weeks after the expansion comes out.

2) You don't have to join a guild at all. For now, at level 60 there's little shit you can do without an organized guild, but with the expansion you can basically skip all the boring raid content at level 60, and instead can keep on levelling in the Outland area. At level 70 you're back to raiding, but with a much different philosophy: smaller groups, much faster instances, lots and lots of 5-man (i.e. doable with randoms) content. By then either you'll WANT to join a guild anyway because you've met people you like, or you'll be bored of the game anyway and quit.

3) Understand that any server you join will be a bit dysfuncional at low levels. There are very little new players anymore, any low char you meet has a 95% chance of belonging to someone with a level 60. Everyone will want to rush things a bit, so if you prefer a slower pace you're better off trying to get a group of like minded people off the bat (they do exist)

4) If you hate people already, you'll hate the game. It rewards dedication and time more than skill, so the more successful characters usually belong to the greatest deadbeat losers. You CAN find casual players, usually in their 30s or above, who play for fun and for LOLIMMURSHUN in a fantasy world. Cherish the ones you meet, they're your only shot of enjoying the game at all.

So, your call. If you do end up buying the game, I'm Grimnuz in Doomhammer Alliance side. PM me if you want me to show you the ropes, I can start a new char to level with you a bit and show you around. Beats wasting repair money to raid Naxxramas again for loot that will become obsolete once Blizz revolutionizes the game in the expansion.

DarkSign

Erudite
Xi said:
I joined a Raiding guild that was easily dominating MC. The problem was that I would not receive any credit or "DKP" if I left the Raid early. So after 11 Hours of raiding(and getting no items) I quit the game never to return.

There are lots of guilds that have raid rules that reward partial performance. There's not one set way of doing things. You should have proposed changes to the rules of your guild.

Xi

Arcane
DarkSign said:
Xi said:

There are lots of guilds that have raid rules that reward partial performance. There's not one set way of doing things. You should have proposed changes to the rules of your guild.

There was just too much effort involved. It required too much of a time constraint. There were always people constantly coming and going in the guild because of this. It's hard to require people to play for 3+ hours solid. Shit can happen and sometimes you just need to be able to drop it.

The expansion, however, does have my interest peaked slightly. I may give it another whirl just to recheck the end-game content again. They are doing away with 40-man raids and hopefully makign things more approachable. So, it may be worth a few more bucks after that. We'll see.

I'll be waiting on some good reviews before I make any kind of purchase.

DarkSign

Erudite
40-man? MUAHAHAHAHA ... in the original EQ we had 200 man raids. And everyone was needed.

I see what you mean though...while huge raids can be fun, the fact that they feel compulsory to get the best of the best gear sucks.

I personally dont mind long periods of concentrated effort (just ask my wife ;) but I can see how 3 hours at a time might be cumbersome for some.

Xi

Arcane
I think the problem with MMOs is that content wise you either get something or you don't. It's not like you can spend small amounts of time to grind away the time it takes to achieve decent items. So, in the end you are stuck with nothing if you don't put forth a lot of effort.

I played the Beta of EQ and hated the game. WoW is superior in a million ways, but still uses the same formula ad-naseum.

/shrug

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom