Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Crusader Kings II to halt Gamersgate updates

BvG

Novice
It's such a weird reason too? The way to update ck2 without steam is to start the game, then click a link in the internet explorer driven web starter app thingy. In essence, t's a download link on a webpage... How the hell can that be costly to maintain?

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Alright, they asked for it.

I'll never buy another Paradox Game. May thousands of non removals from an inventory that would not happen otherwise be their reward for this bullshit policy.
Unfortunately, they won't even notice it. Only a few percent (about 5% if I recall) of CKII copies sold on GG.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
That right there is noticeable decline.

Judging by comments on Paradox forums, most people who own CKII on GG have no problems with this change, so it won't be 5% decline.

I own CKII on GG have and have problems with this change. The decline is only 5% owning at GG and 95% mouthbreathers owning at Steam.

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin

BelisariuS.F

Augur

hakuroshi

Augur
It's such a weird reason too? The way to update ck2 without steam is to start the game, then click a link in the internet explorer driven web starter app thingy. In essence, t's a download link on a webpage... How the hell can that be costly to maintain?

They probably meant not just to maintain an extra link to the patch, but that GG and Steam versions are different enough that making patch for them is a double work.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
That right there is noticeable decline.

Judging by comments on Paradox forums, most people who own CKII on GG have no problems with this change, so it won't be 5% decline.

I own CKII on GG have and have problems with this change. The decline is only 5% owning at GG and 95% mouthbreathers owning at Steam.
I thought you were talking about the potential sales decline.

In this case I'm speaking for myself, not as the company. I would care only for sales if I cared about this and future products. It seems they are being popamolized, which has made me lose interest. At least until my butthurt heals.

hakuroshi

Augur
Most GG people are likely old-time fans, who bought GG version out of habit, not because they have anything against Steam and giving out keys removes the only reason they would complain. There was a time when GG was THE place to buy Paradox games, but times have changed. It is possible, that relations between GG and Pdx cooled to the point when Paradox start to view their connections to GG as a burden. There used to be always a few Paradox titles in GG top sellers which is rare now.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If you haven't gotten Sons of Abraham yet, it's on sale for 10% off on Green Man Gaming plus they have a 25% off coupon code (use code GMG25-DW6L1-6XGZ9) this weekend - total price is $6.75.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Oh, look. And again, not a single valid argument against Steam was raised.
It's not like there are none, but you aren't even trying. Most arguments I read about Steam really do boil down to what I posted.

Also... damn, that is one fluffy creature!
  • Monopoly
  • Forced bloatware
  • Forced ads
All valid. All raised in this thread. As you rightly say they are only a small fraction of arguments why some people will not use Steam. But after years of raising the arguments and Steam-lovers simply ignoring them (as you just did) why would anybody bother anymore?
Personally, I don't care who uses Steam. I will not argue about it.
As others in this thread have done, I'd simply state that I won't buy any game that requires Steam or any other DRM-ware. End of story. Others can do and buy whatever they want. I just don't like being restricted in my purchasing decisions by some shitty trend.

Though it saves me money I can use to consume other stuff :troll:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have CK2 on GG and on Steam and I don't give a flying fuck about this change, HEIL GABEN

Did you know that Steam has a toggleable "light" mode? I just wish they would distribute it as separate binary too.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Oh, look. And again, not a single valid argument against Steam was raised.
It's not like there are none, but you aren't even trying. Most arguments I read about Steam really do boil down to what I posted.

Also... damn, that is one fluffy creature!
  • Monopoly
  • Forced bloatware
  • Forced ads
  • Steam's monopoly is solely due to the fact that all the competition just fails at providing a better deal, both to devs/publishers and customers. The market share that garners is just natural consequence in a free market.
  • Steam uses resources at less than 1/10th of that of Firefox. I'd say it's debatable if it counts as bloatware at such a meager demand.
  • Pssssst... You can turn them off at the Settings.
This is generally why Steam critics aren't even listened, as majority of their claims are made out of ignorance or fabricated. The serious concern is of Steam becoming a completely unassailable monopoly and what that could do to the customer. Presently it's hardly malignant, heck Steam supposedly pays devs better than anything else. My personal concern with Steam is more than anything about the risks it poses for privacy and security.

YourConscience

Scholar

This only goes to show the extreme amounts of ignorance on these forums.

Ever thought what it means if all let's say 100K players hit that button during just a couple of days after the release of a new update? It either means your download server will crash and you have lots of disgruntled customers, or you are paying obscene amounts of moneys for an infrastructure that can deal with that kind of load. For what? An update once every couple of months? The ongoing long-tail sales of the game likely don't provide enough income to warrent that kind of expenditure.

Cassidy

Arcane
They could simply release a patch to the public and allow third-party sites to host it. Auto-patching is for

:kingcomrade:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I actually bought the game directly from Paradox as a DVD when it was on sale last year. Is that considered as a Gamersgate or Steam copy? When I reinstalled the game, I tried to use the CD key in Steam and it failed to install, so I had to use the DVD.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I actually bought the game directly from Paradox as a DVD when it was on sale last year. Is that considered as a Gamersgate or Steam copy? When I reinstalled the game, I tried to use the CD key in Steam and it failed to install, so I had to use the DVD.
It's the steam version, every version except the one directly from gamersgate is steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom