Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Why do people hate FF XIII, but love FF X?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm just curious. I finish my X playthrough.

The game is basically the same as XIII - corridor locations-cutscenes-corridor locations-cutscenes-etc. Oh yeah and both games have that part when you get to the wast field after that corridors and you feel lost.

The battle system is different, but just a bit, in X it is turn-based, BUT every team member plays specoal role (and is useful in some particular battles - the same as particular paradigms in XIII)

The story in XIII and dialogues were not worse than in X, I'd even say I prefer XIII. The same with the characters.

So why is X getting praise, and XIII gets hate? Is this only that Toriyama thing?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I think people are just alot more lax on it because of a combination of it being one of the big titles for the Playstation 2, and rose-tinted glasses. If you look at it now the story's not that great, the characters (save Auron) not that interesting, the voice acting terrible even for the day (MGS2 was released the same year and completely blew it out of the water in voice direction), and about the only real stand-out thing about it was the combat, which is still very good.

Could also argue that the decline of JRPG's in the western market (In 2001 we were living in a post-Final Fantasy VII world, in 2009 we were living in a post-Call of Duty 4 world) has lead to the flaws that would've been ignored at the time of FFX's release to be looked on in a much more critical light. The spectacle of having cinematic moments in video games and honest-to-god gorgeous CGI cutscenes simply don't wow audiences as much as they did in 2001.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think people are just alot more lax on it because of a combination of it being one of the big titles for the Playstation 2, and rose-tinted glasses. If you look at it now the story's not that great, the characters (save Auron) not that interesting, the voice acting terrible even for the day (MGS2 was released the same year and completely blew it out of the water in voice direction), and about the only real stand-out thing about it was the combat, which is still very good.

Could also argue that the decline of JRPG's in the western market (In 2001 we were living in a post-Final Fantasy VII world, in 2009 we were living in a post-Call of Duty 4 world) has lead to the flaws that would've been ignored at the time of FFX's release to be looked on in a much more critical light. The spectacle of having cinematic moments in video games and honest-to-god gorgeous CGI cutscenes simply don't wow audiences as much as they did in 2001.
Well, yeah, all of this makes sence. The thing is - I played XIII in 2013 and X now, in 2014, so I can compare them like they are both modern games. I've missed all the incline-decline-whatevercline eras of JRPGs, and I believe the first one I Played was FF VII in 2010 (do not count Septerra Core).

Because there's still a turn-based system.
Still not enough for that contrast of ratings.

Because weebos.
:thumbsup:

It can't be overstated how shit paradigms are. For all the shit FF12 gets for "playing the game for you", at least there you were only one step removed from controlling your characters and actually created the scripts. In FF13 the game is now one step away from being a cutscene in terms of player interaction. In comparison FF10 combat was great.

Otherwise I agree that there is a huge nostalgia factor with most of the PS1/PS2 era games.

Monad

Learned
No clue man. 10 is almost exactly like xiii in its structure but it DOES have a better battle system. However, the people that adore FFX do not list its battle mechanics as a reason usually. Mostly they say they like it because of the story and feels.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Pretty much everyone has a different opinion on Final Fantasy games. There are plenty people that hate X.

For me for example VIII is the biggest abomination to have ever come out of gaming. And IX is one of my favourite games of all time.

Lemming42

Arcane
I dunno, I really hated X. VIII and X are the only two FF games I seriously can't stand and had to force myself to finish, but I didn't play anything after X so I dunno if XIII is better or worse.

aleph

Arcane
V > IX > X = VI = IV = III >>>> VII == 4 Heroes of Light

haven't played the rest

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hate them both. Although I only hate FFXIII based on word of mouth and gameplay footage (and Spoony's review) because I'm not ever going to play it.

FFX has a decent combat system, some interesting themes, and a pretty cool setting, but is in all other ways one of the worst entries in the franchise.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I dunno, I really hated X. VIII and X are the only two FF games I seriously can't stand and had to force myself to finish, but I didn't play anything after X so I dunno if XIII is better or worse.

Some would argue FF10 was the beginning of the decline, but most people were too busy experiencing it as baby's first Final Fantasy of their respective console generation. It's no coincidence that FF7 and FF10 are so popular and it goes beyond their inherent qualities. I'll take my FF12 and run for the hills, thank you very much.

People like X?

You think that's bad? Have you heard the Japanese laugh?

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I hate both XIII and X, but I love me some X-2 kawaiiness :love:

There are people that actually like X-2?!

:whatho:

Well, I've always been a fan of the good old FF job system and I hated the goddamn sphere grid... Obviously the story is stupid, but at least we have a main heroine that's relatively likeable, so that's already better than fucking Tidus.
Anyway why would I need an excuse for loving a dress up RPG ? :M

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just liked the conditional turn-based battle system that was only in 10. That's why I love that game the most of all the FF games. The story and faggotry don't really appeal to me in any of the games except maybe six.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
For a true codexian experience you might want to try Futanari Fantasy XX
upload_2014-4-22_21-0-53.png
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom