Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Return of the Dark Sorcerer: A FFVI (Final Fantasy III SNES) Mod by Gi Nattak

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
After years of hard work, FFVI Return of the Dark Sorcerer v1.0 has been released for all to play!

Return of the Dark Sorcerer, or ROTDS for short, is a rather large Final Fantasy VI hack that’s been in development for about four years. It has had many different hands on to help get it to where it is today and has been tested and played through multiple times to ensure quality. This hack promises to showcase some of the more challenging aspects of FFVI modding, as well as plenty of fun and exciting new content - from an all new cast of playable characters with customized movesets, a radically changed story with many new and customized events, new over-world maps, a new soundtrack, lots of game-play changes, a tremendous amount of sprite-work…the list goes on.

If you have been itching for a really challenging FFVI hack with lots of fresh new content resulting in a whole new FFVI experience, do yourself a favor and download this hack - it will not disappoint.

Patch can be downloaded by clicking here. Be sure to apply a header to a Final Fantasy III V1.0 US ROM before patching it.

ROTDS%205-12-14_00000.png
TestWing%20Cyan_00000.bmp
ROTDS%205-12-14_00019.png
ROTDS%205-17-14_00004.png
321.png
ROTDS%205-12-14_00004.png
Testing%20Cyan_00005.png
Kraid-1.bmp
TestRing%20Cyan_00001.bmp
Testing%20Cyan_00011.png

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh my god, what am I even looking at right now? :lol:

Heartless, Cloud, R-RADITZ? That's hilarious.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hobo Elf already described it perfectly: DA fanfic.

Seriously - Cloud, a KH Heartless, Death and Eiko team up to beat Mario and Raditz... I bet on a 102% chance of one of the characters being a Mary Sue alter-ego of the devs, half-breed something with a dark past and a terrible secret...

Delterius

Arcane
But aren't you curious to see wether its the KH Heartless who's the mary sue? Or maybe its a vivi type character? This is clearly let's play material.

EDIT: Seriously, I'll do it.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But aren't you curious to see wether its the KH Heartless who's the mary sue? Or maybe its a vivi type character? This is clearly let's play material.

EDIT: Seriously, I'll do it.

I actually want to see that.

mariog

Educated
Is that... Raditz in the 4th screenshot? As in Raditz from Dragonball?

What in the motherfucking fying fuck?

Malpercio

Arcane
Wow, I wanted to make a post about how these thing usually end up being "too fanfiction-like" (see that CT mod that came out some time ago) and then I saw the screens... wow.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Wow, I wanted to make a post about how these thing usually end up being "too fanfiction-like" (see that CT mod that came out some time ago) and then I saw the screens... wow.
Isn't it fanfiction enough for you?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
What is FuSoYa from FFIV doing here? :o
That's what you find out of place? The characters from previous FF games? Not the Axem Rangers from Mario RPG, or Radditz from DBZ, or the fact that the empire is now apparently populated by the reptites from chrono trigger? Lets not even mention the metroids...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can never unsee this. Why? Why did I watch that?

:negative:

Molesting a game shouldn't be possible, but today I have been proven wrong.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
What is FuSoYa from FFIV doing here? :o
That's what you find out of place? The characters from previous FF games? Not the Axem Rangers from Mario RPG, or Radditz from DBZ, or the fact that the empire is now apparently populated by the reptites from chrono trigger? Lets not even mention the metroids...
I didn't recognize anything else!

Damned Registrations

Hmm, just noticed this has been hosted over on insanedifficulty.com; now I'm even more curious. I'm probably the most well versed with the original game of anyone on the forum too; perhaps I'll attempt a playthrough.

Damned Registrations

So I played the first bit (up till you leave Narshe.) Verdict so far: shit. Lots of awful writing, lolrandom jokes, like quadruple the dialogue and cutscenes of the original game, lots of names changed for no reason at all, sprites replaced with inferior sprites simply for the sake of being different. The sprites they actually put effort into tend to be the ones used in cutscenes, so the actual random battles are filled with shit that would embarass someone using RPGmaker. Music changed too, seems to be a lot of remixes from other games.

As far as the difficulty... well it's still early, but I've fought 3 bosses, and none were really difficult, just tons of hp bloat. The first was a reskinned whelk fight except fire instead of lightning. Then we had a fight with Tritoch (who kept his name for some reason?) that took forever because his only weakness was poison, which still did shit damage until the 15th casting or so (poison damage increases with time in FF6, they used a similar mechanic here except it didn't continue ticking so I had to keep casting it in between healing.) The third boss fight was the first one where I didn't have access to infinite revival magic... but I still had infinite healing magic so it was just another really long slog.

I took a bunch of screenshots, will post them later, probably with a bit more commentary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom