Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What has happened to the tycoon genre

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There are so many possibilites for a good tycoon game not done yet, what happened?

Norfleet

Near as I can tell, they're still churning out "Tycoon" type games as we speak.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Codex Tycoon.

You play a troll. Your goal is to troll as many people as possible into responding to your shit threads.

Collect brofists and spend them on upgrades that let you make more new posts per day or even alts.

Norfleet

Codex Tycoon.

You play a troll. Your goal is to troll as many people as possible into responding to your shit threads.

Collect brofists and spend them on upgrades that let you make more new posts per day or even alts.
If this were an actual game, I might even be tempted to back it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
tycoon genre was supplanted by lumpenproletariat simulations. Would you like to try warehouse simulator?

Even if op is shitposting he does seem to have a point. About only interesting tycoon game in development I can name right now is Automation. Anything else?

Thane Solus

Arcane
Ze Germanz happen. In the last 8 years they being doing shitty tycoon games every year. At the same time tycoon games requires some serious design and programming, so indie hipsters or AAA developers will stay away from them. Too much work, incapable to design, no gaming culture. So Farm Ville anybody?

Norfleet

Like I said, nothing happened to them. There's plenty of Tycoon-type games that have come out recently, as well an abundant list of vaporware that may or may not ever bother to be made.

cw8

Cipher
There's actually 2 RCT successors on the way. Let's hope one of them is actually good.

If there are so many cool new tycoon games we don't know about why don't you share with us Norfleet? We want to know too.

Delterius

Arcane

Norfleet

If there are so many cool new tycoon games we don't know about why don't you share with us Norfleet? We want to know too.
I'm not being paid to shill other people's products, though. I just know I've heard of them. I don't know of any FREE ones other than maybe OpenTTD and its ilk, though.

There's one ongoing kickstarter you may want to look into.
I mentioned "were an actual game". And that I would be tempted. Not that I actually WOULD. I'm very good at resisting temptation.

:Flash:

Arcane
amazon-platz-1.jpg

Fart Master

Savant
What has happened to the tycoon genre

It became synonymous with Farmville and other casual mobile "games". Why? idk

Prison Architect is the only even half decent tycoon type game I've heard of in like the past 5 yrs.

Incantatar

Cipher
Might be because i'm German, but i'd love a revival of tycoon games. The 90s were so fucking great in that regard. Mad TV was my first pc game and i'd still play similar games today if there were any.

rezaf

Cipher
Might be because i'm German, but i'd love a revival of tycoon games. The 90s were so fucking great in that regard. Mad TV was my first pc game and i'd still play similar games today if there were any.

I'm not sure MadTV is a member of the tycoon games subgenre referred to here. Maybe so - is the term used instead of management game over here?
In any event, MadTV was kinda it's own thing, with the focus on humor and the "metagame" that was running around in the office building, taking turns on the elevator.

There's the whole array of Kairosoft games which, one might argue, are KINDA similar.
Their original hit, Game Dev Story, inspired at least three more game development sims which are all recentish or still in EA - Game Dev Tycoon, GamersGoMakers and Mad Games Tycoon.

There's quite a few games being made for both the tycoon genre in the sense of management game and the tycoon genre in the sense of little dudes and dudettes running around in the sense of Rollercoaster Tycoon ... so, I guess the answer to the thread's question is "nothing"?
_____
rezaf

Kairosoft, really? They are very simple mobile games. Better than your usual angry birds tripe if you badly need to be distracted while commuting but not really something to recommend on it's own merits.
There's quite a few games being made for both the tycoon genre in the sense of management game and the tycoon genre in the sense of little dudes and dudettes running around in the sense of Rollercoaster Tycoon
_____
qwinn
Care to give some examples? I could use a good tycoon game.

rezaf

Cipher
Kairosoft, really? They are very simple mobile games. Better than your usual angry birds tripe if you badly need to be distracted while commuting but not really something to recommend on it's own merits.

I know at least Game Dev Story had a more complex sequel which was also released on Windows ... but only in Japanese. But I agree with you, what I don't like about mobile games in general (there are exceptions, but they are few and far between) is that they are usually literal timewasters.
Meaning, after playing a session, I feel like I've completely wasted my time...

Care to give some examples? I could use a good tycoon game.

I already pointed to the game development titles, don't these count?
But sure ... how about you list some tycoon games you liked? So it's easier to tell what you consider a tycoon game and which of them you look upon favorably?
_____
rezaf

I already pointed to the game development titles, don't these count?
I tried first two before and wasn't very impressed.
But sure ... how about you list some tycoon games you liked? So it's easier to tell what you consider a tycoon game and which of them you look upon favorably?
_____
qwinn
Sure. Transport Tycoon, Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2 , MadTV, Airline Tycoon, Detroit (to be fair game could use a patch or two), Theme Hospital, SimFarm, SimGolf etc.

Last edited:

rezaf

Cipher
I tried first two before and wasn't very impressed.
(...)
Sure. Transport Tycoon, Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2 , MadTV, Airline Tycoon, Detroit (to be fair game could use a patch or two), Theme Hospital, SimFarm etc.

Heh, that's bit like clamoring for good strategy games and naming only Master of Magic, Master of Orion, X-Com and such classics as good titles...
By these standards, I guess one could say there are no good tycoon games these days. But it's not like no new games are being made.

Let's see...

Transport Tycoon. For that itch, I'm certain you're aware of OpenTTD, which is basically the real thing. Then you have Train Fever. A-Train 9 is still in active development, too - at least from what I understand. We also had Cities in Motion 2, but the developers kinda dropped the ball on this one...

Rollercoaster Tycoon. There's of course the wonderful offiical iOS Rollercoaster Tycoon 4. Heh, maybe Rollercoaster Tycoon World can be taken more seriously? There was a successful Kickstarter for Parkitect, which looks like a VERY close copy of the original RCT. A lot work remains to be done in Theme Park Studio, but I liked what I could see so far.

MadTV. Well, even the official sequel kinda sucked, so what do you expect? There were some attempts at making a game such as this (like MUD TV, Prime Time or TV Station Manager) but none came even close, imo. So I can only refer to remakes such as TV Giant or MadTV Online.

Airline Tycoon. Hmm. Didn't Airline Tycoon 2 just come out in 2011 and saw development into 2012? That's not so long ago. I see on the steam page it isn't exactly well received, but I was never a big fan of those games myself, not have I played AT2, so I can't offer an opinion of my own. The last airline manager I had really a ball with was this one, and that was REALLY long ago. ;)

Detroit. Haven't heard that title mentioned in ages. I loved the idea, but your description of "could use a patch or two" is a vast understatement, imo - the game was utterly broken, imo. As for today, GearCity sure looks promising, no? As does Automation, though at the current pace, they'll only come close to realizing their own ambitions in 2050 or something...

Theme Hospital. Ah, the Bullfrog from the olden days. I'm afraid I can't really be of much use on this one. They just don't make 'em like they used to. There was Deep Red's Hospital Tycoon, but ... even friggin' casual Hospital Manager came closer to Theme Hospital, which says a lot.

SimFarm. An easy one. You gotta play Farmville! Ok, I don't wanna play it either. Maybe Farming World, but once again, it isn't exactly high rated on Steam. The Planner: Farming appears to be a better game, but is slightly older (2013).

So, that's a few games linked, right? Once again, you can't really claim they don't make such games, merely those that get made are less good than you'd like them to be.
Trust me, still waiting for blow-me-away sequels to the strategy games I mentioned initially, I feel your pain.
_____
rezaf

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom