Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spellforce 2 $4.90 @ Gogamer -- 48h madness

cutterjohn

Cipher
http://www.gogamer.com/SpellForce-2--Sh ... ewprod.htm

Spotted over @ RPGWatch, and thought that some here might like to know.

I'm not sure how long this will last, but the timer said 42+h left for me...

[EDIT]
Well, I went ahead and popped for it, but I also now see that Babyarm had this covered already in a thread entitled Broke Gamer or something...

Chose pretty cheapass shipping, so I likely won't get it until Thursday at the earliest...

cutterjohn

Cipher
Main post is here

Decided to post it here as well, since some of you who may be interested in Spellforce 2 may not read(or remember to) the strategy forum as it's usually pretty slow...

Texas Red

Whiner
I didnt even bother to check out what the game was about after that stupid bikini babe on the cover. It tells me everything I need to know.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Spellforce 1 was pretty good. Spellforce 2, not so good, but online play can get pretty gritty.

Deacdo

Liturgist
How the hell could this game be $40 regular price ( is that USD!?!?)? It was released at $30 Cdn (quickly dropped to $20).

cutterjohn

Cipher
Yes, it's probably USD unless they automagically adjust to local currency.

IIRC when it was first released here over a year ago, it appeared at $40, and then dropped and pretty much stayed at $30. Since then it pretty much has entirely disappeared without making the usual appearances at lower prices to my knowledge. Same thing happened with Space Rangers 2, IIRC started at $40, then dropped fairly quickly to $30 and then poof, gone.

Then again, I got NWN2 for $25 last November, less than a month after release... (special sale) AFAIK it's still $30-40 normally, but I don't pay attention as I've already gotten it.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Opinions of Spellforce 2 were mixed enough for me to give it a shot at $5. I LOOKED at it when it was $30, but wasn't convinced as I generally detest RTS, and games that try to cross genres even more as neither genre gets enough focus to make the whole passable.

The real pusher though was that txa1265 claimed to be entertained by it for a while. He usually picks out the wheat from the chaff fairly, or so I've noticed since we both picked Mageknight Apocalypse as a dud last year, although I escaped buying it, he reviewed it... (Of course it being an ARPG didn't help either...)

I'll take a look at archlord, as I've never heard of it, but it sounds like its some sort of MMORPG which I, also, generall do not care for.

[EDIT]
Didn't need to go past the first page to decide that Arclord was a steaming POS.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Hell, for $4.90 I decided to give it a shot. From what I've read though, I'd probably have preferred Spellforce 1 Platinum, but I'm not about to pay $20 for a genre that I mostly don't care for: RTS. (The only really good RT strategy games is Harpoon, and it moves so slow that it's a stretch to call it RT in terms of the arcade RTS games released today...)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played Spellforce 2...

Until the point where you get the 3rd race... By then I found out that every race plays almost exactly tha same. It just looks different. I had to laugh when I could EXACTLY do the same build order/strategy with the 3rd race as with all races before...

If you think that Age Of Empires III or Rise Of Legends has too little difference between it's races/nations -> don't play Spellforce...

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Jedi_Learner said:
I didn't really think much of the first Spellforce, apart from the beginning cinematic and some catchy music. I got up to where Brannigan sends those Iron Blady things after you and I just got fed up trying to advance through all those bloody towers. The AI isn't very good and the quests are meh. The voice overs and some of the dialogue are terribly amusing though, but for all the wrong reasons.
If you kept playing, you would have gotten to fight hordes of curiously strong undead!

Remember the voice acting for that guard captain chick on the second map? :lol:

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Jedi_Learner said:
The one that wants you to kill that Goblin before she'll help you open the gates to the next portal?
Yes, that one. I laughed my ass off when I heard her voice actor. I don't think voice acting can get worse than that.

By the way, the most retarded map in Spellforce is Mulandir. It's a hero-only map crawling with fucking medusas that you have to avoid or you'll get raped by their gargoyle minions. I gave up on Spellforce as that map was nigh impossible.

cutterjohn

Cipher
I wimped out and cancelled the order after hearing all of the negativity about the game here, and reading even more reviews where all they could talk about was the rushing tactics, and then more way back on the official forums where advice was only to build certain things and rush again!

I hate rushing. That's not strategy it's a fucking arcade game, so I decided to cancel it and resume my search for another longish lasting fun strategy game...

Rise of Nations or any of those others any good? Or maybe I'll find a copy of Civ3 or 4 or something... I liked 2 in the 90s...

Texas Red

Whiner
cutterjohn said:
I wimped out and cancelled the order after hearing all of the negativity about the game here, and reading even more reviews where all they could talk about was the rushing tactics, and then more way back on the official forums where advice was only to build certain things and rush again!

I hate rushing. That's not strategy it's a fucking arcade game, so I decided to cancel it and resume my search for another longish lasting fun strategy game...

Rise of Nations or any of those others any good? Or maybe I'll find a copy of Civ3 or 4 or something... I liked 2 in the 90s...

Hmmm, did you try Dragonshard the D&D RTS? It was odd how the game was completely forgotten after a couple of months.

cutterjohn

Cipher
The Walkin' Dude said:
cutterjohn said:

Hmmm, did you try Dragonshard the D&D RTS? It was odd how the game was completely forgotten after a couple of months.
Already read some stuff about that one while trolling around various forums over the weekend, and it seems to be even lower rated and an even bigger POS that SF2.

I'm more likely to just give up and get a copy of Civ4 plus the Warlords exp, or maybe Civ3 Complete... I really prefer more expansive games like the Civs and Alpha Centauri, but SF2 sounded good for a while until I started digging deeper and deeper after hearing it universally panned here...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom