Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dumbest Question Ever Asked (1,000's of Times)

tardtastic

Scholar
Hi! For my first post, I thought I'd be ridiculously insipid and ask you to please recommend me some games to waste ever-precious life upon. Thanks for your help!

I started reading this site after seeing a link to it from No Mutants Allowed, which I read once as part of my daily schedule, hoping to see an entry titled, "Todd Howard: We Were Just Joking! Now seriously, here's what Fallout3 will actually be like..." the sight is not yet beheld

But anyway, that means that, yes, obviously, I loved the two Fallout RPG's. Arcanum. Bloodlines. I've played plenty of the "good ones" - trouble is, well, I've played them, over and over, and when I try to go back to them, after a few hours I can't help myself quitting and feeling like time's been utterly wasted. I'm pinky-toe deep in Planescape Torment, which I only try to play when I forget how long and boring and frustrating the mortuary is.

oh right i was going to concisely state my preferences and then ask you to suggest titles based upon that list, i almost forgot!

Non-Linearity, and by that I don't mean Roguelike non-linearity or, horror of horrors, Oblivion-like non-linearity -- I mean choices in the storyline that make a difference in the world I'm playing in, presenting me with dilemmas and opportunities for actual honest-to-goodness role-playing. That rules out every single Japanese RPG ever made, don't it? I tried to play a few, I swear I tried, but I just can't take that godawful anime-speak.

I really can't put up with crazy, indecipherable interfaces/game-mechanics. My standards there are probably different from yours - there's this new Mech-based RPG, it's in the Indie RPG's section, I just can't work with it, can't do a thing. Can't do Ultima-style, either, or Avernum, Geneforge, etc. Wasteland was all right, I can do something about that complicated, but the story/environment just didn't grab me.

I've tried everything in your "Indie RPG's" thread - Treugador, I think it's called?, was one, and then there was another where you're in the ice age, but it was too complicated for me. So - is there much of anything else? Something sci-fi or post-medieval would be gnarly, dude.

and yes i played killa already

ok well im just going to stop writing this now because if there's any hope for it, it's already that far along. thanks for reading.

p.s. oh, also i played ToEE, liked it fine, but after playing for a few hours realized that, uh-oh, there's not actually going to be a story at any point, is there?, nope, not a one, and quit. i've also tried baldur's gate ii and didn't take to it. the kotors were interesting for one play-through, but after having played jade empire and watching the mass effect balogna i will never enjoy anything bioware ever again.

I'm pinky-toe deep in Planescape Torment, which I only try to play when I forget how long and boring and frustrating the mortuary is.

The mortuary takes maybe an hour if you do everything, and isn't boring if you take your time and click lots of things. The game also improves massively once you get out. Do that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Imagine the mortuary four times longer and with 1999999 enemies and you have the Pergagus Mining Station.

And containers.
Oh, the containers.

tardtastic

Scholar
Oh, you've got a Weird Worlds avatar. :) What a neat game that is. Which reminds me, I also tried "Space Rangers 2". I just mention that so that no-one will waste time recommending it.

Yes, I've gotten out of the Mortuary before, a few years ago, during one of my first play-throughs. I'm just averse to closed-up starting areas, I guess. Another good point of Fallout's.

Anyway, thanks for the response - I am, yes, on my way out of the Mortuary.

sheek

Arbiter
Go through the list of RPGs on underdogs.info. You can change to a highest-to-lowest rating list, then just go through them. If any are unavailable on the underdogs do a Google search and you'll probably find something.

tardtastic

Scholar
Oh, I dread Peragus. :( It's even worse than the Oblivion starting-dungeon -- at least you can dash straight to the end of that.

EDIT: oh wait i misunderstood, nevermind

tardtastic

Scholar
Yes, I've been through Underdogs' list a few times. A lot of the RPGs are simply too old to have much story going on in them. I'll check it again some evening. There was one called "MegaTravellers" or something like that, which had a very neat concept, but then when I got into the game it was completely incomprehensible to me, what to do, where to go, and how to do it. About the only well-regarded games on the Underdogs list that I can recall off of the top of my head - that I haven't tried that seemed interesting to me- are Legend of Kryandia and Darklands.

Regardless, I will check the list again. Thanks!

tardtastic

Scholar
I couldn't do very well in Killa. The fellow in the village would never sell me a gun - I kept going back and back... I wanted a gun. A big gun. To kill with. It just never happened. :(

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
tardtastic said:
IT NEEDS MORE IMMERSION
like bump mapping
Now, that's worthy a ban! :wink:

Not that it's stupid, mind you, but because it's been done to death, resurrected and enslaved with necromancy at least a thousand times already.

Edit: Btw, definitely check out Darklands.

tardtastic

Scholar
I tried the demo of Gothic, when it first came out. I can't do button-mashing. But I'll give the demo another go, just for the heck of it. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Jasede said:
Imagine the mortuary four times longer and with 1999999 enemies and you have the Pergagus Mining Station.

And containers.
Oh, the containers.

When I close my eyes I can hear the quiet noise plasteel cylinder makes while it's being opened.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
tardtastic said:
I tried the demo of Gothic, when it first came out. I can't do button-mashing. But I'll give the demo another go, just for the heck of it. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
This time, try to learn how the combat system works. It's not really difficult, so if you can't do it... you suck, sorry.

Amasius

Augur
tardtastic said:
I tried the demo of Gothic, when it first came out. I can't do button-mashing. But I'll give the demo another go, just for the heck of it.
Gothic was the first game with this kind of combat and it took me quite some time to get into it. I still prefer good old turnbased combat but after a while I mastered it and it was good fun. G2 and G3 have mouse control but I prefer nevertheless the old scheme. Give it a chance, the game is it worth.

tardtastic said:
Are there any mods for PS:T that I ought to get?
Not really but you can find some mods and a lot of other useful stuff here.

GoldLeader

Scholar
tardtastic said:

Gothic and Gothic 2 AND Gothic 3 are some of the best RPG's ever made. IF you get the patch, that actually stops quest items from dissapearing. So shut up.

@ Kotor 2 - if you think pergagus is terrible, then what would be Telos, then?

Stalagmite

Scholar
Definatley play all the Gothics, then play Emo 1 and 2. Make sure you pick up the Razor Blade of Tendon Severing in the Pit of Self Pity in Emo 2.

Seriously, play the Gothic games, they rock Deutchlandic style.

Texas Red

Whiner
There is a mod for Planescape that adds missing quests that, for some reason, werent included. I believe there were 2 of them and both took place in that underground trash village.

AZ

Liturgist
I can give you the usual list.

Gothic 1-2
Divine Divinity
Vampire Bloodlines whit fan patch
ToEE whit the Co8 fan patch
System Shock 2
Deus Ex

Ind if you like strategy try Dominions 3.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Jasede said:
And containers.
Oh, the containers.

Not this again :P

Anyway, dude, you gotta play Planescape: Torment till the end. After you get out of the Mortuary things get more interesting so go for it.

Amasius

Augur
The Mortuary is actually quite interesting if your TNO has a decent intelligence, charisma and/or wisdom. There is a lot to discover with all the zombies and skeletons and much Exp. to gain. Everybody who thinks that the Mortuary is boring has obviously missed a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom